YF-23 EDF Build

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by vicentel, Oct 4, 2010.

1. For the past couple of months I've been trying to build Maybz's YF-23 as an EDF. There have been many successful pusher prop versions of his design but the one's that tried it as an EDF found it unstable and eventually gave up on it. The YF-23 is a beautiful plane and I want so desperately to get it to fly stable and as a parkjet being able to hand launch it and belly land it.

Anyway, my latest attempt has the original Maybz design but with a 28" wingspan rather than 24" and a 20% larger tail. The length of the fuse is also longer to keep it all proportional. Maybz's design also had a simple thrust vectoring system that I decided to remove for this iteration. My setup is as follows:

1. 2 x 55mm EDF (4300KV)
    2. 2 x 30amp ESC wired in parallel
    3. Delta wing mixing
    4. 4 x 9gram servos

Static thrust tests (basically hold plan in hand and max throttle and see if it can carry it's own weight) tell me I am getting better that 1:1 thrust to weight. I've also installed a tow hook just in case I want to bungee launch it but I have not yet decided. Here are some pictures:

Attached Files:

2. jcrankshaw

jcrankshaw Ace Pilot

Yeah let me know how that works out... what kind of batteries are you using? Are those EDF's balanced?

3. I'm guessing the EDFs are balanced, not sure though. I bought them at Hobbypartz.com, the price was right (read cheap). I have 2 types I am trying out:

1. Hyperion 35C 2200mAh
    2. Thunderpower 30C 2700 mAh

I am favoring thunderpower because it has enough weight to move the CG further forward and the twin EDFs are thirsty. I've hooked it up to a watt meter and the power system is drawing less that 50Amps (the TPs are rated to deliver 81amps).

4. jcrankshaw

jcrankshaw Ace Pilot

Yeah I have seen those EDF's and am tempted to buy them... What are they like 17 bux a pop? You will have to do a review on them. I would be surprised if they are well balanced.

5. rodrigo

rodrigo Top Gun

wow, really beauty plane.
    I hope to see in the air soon.
    congratulations!!

6. Really nice build! I hope the maiden works out.

7. IT FLIES! I had help from my son to bungee launch the yf-23. Made sure I had some up-elevator so it doesn't nose-in at launch. I measured 8lbs of pull, but probably only required 4lbs, just in case - full throttle and release! The model climbed slowly and flew very stable. It did not show the "pitchiness" of my previous yf-23. I did some slow circles around the park before landing the plane.

I had the larger batter in the nose to make sure the CG was far forward but during the flight the model felt nose heavy, so I think I can slide the battery further back or use the smaller 2200mAh 3S pack.

Now I'm going to build a catapult to launch the model from and have my son video tape the flight. I'm so happy and proud that it didn't end disastrously. That 1 minute flight made all the hours, head-banging, and hair-pulling all worth it.

8. It Flies!

Since the bungee launch went so well, I decided to make a catapult for it. That way I can launch it without having someone hold it...hands-free! Hopefully the rain stops soon and I can test it out.

Attached Files:

9. MoTheG

MoTheG Airman

Gratulation

:thumb: nice! :thumb:

Tell us more about it:
    weight, dimensions, CG, foam
    I really like this one, I find the dual/twin EDF aspect interesting ( 2x(55mm)² ~ (70mm)² ) and like the shape of the YF-23.
    Let us know what start and end voltage on what battery and flight time you had or what power or Amp draw you have.
    I would also care for the no. of blades the EDF has and the pitch or min angle of the blades.

10. jcrankshaw

jcrankshaw Ace Pilot

Those 55mm edfs kick out about 16oz of thrust each... do you agree with that?

11. Dredogol

Dredogol M0DERATOR - (aka "Dred")

Great looking EDF YF-23 ... btw ... nice looking Kitchen XD

12. foam used is 6mm white depron. I'm using a single 3S 2700mAh battery (11.1 volts 30C), 2 x 30amp ESCs (one for each EDF). I've put the system on a watt meter and the total amp draw is less than 50amps at full throttle. The static thrust is a little disappointing. I have not weighed the plane fulled loaded but I believe it's less than 16oz. At full throttle the thrust is more than enough to hold itself up (better than 1:1 thrust:weight). The edfs i purchased at hobbypartz (http://www.hobbypartz.com/88e-adf55-300l-kv4300.html) they are 6 blade 55mm 4300KV. Don't know about the pitch angle.

13. I would have to say I'm getting about half. Then again my intake ducting is a little rough and I am not using a thrust tube.

I've had 3 successful flights now with the bungee launcher. I'm flying with 60% D/R and 20% Expo to keep things slow and smooth. I think I'm going to bump up the D/R to 70-75% to give me more authority and reduce the expo to 10%.

14. jcrankshaw

jcrankshaw Ace Pilot

So you are running both off one battery? Wonder if you could do 2 smaller batteries like 2 3S 1300 mah 30C batteries and get better results for thrust.

15. MoTheG

MoTheG Airman

I don't see why, especially because power is not his problem.

It has enough trust but not much for the current.
    My propeller planes have about 4x the thrust for power.
    I thought two EDFs would do much better.
    I think there is potential in the order of 2x thrust in this one, if you get the ducting right. The power is there now you "just" need to turn it into thrust more efficiently.

16. YF-23 Flight Video

I'm trying to put up some video of my flight. Sorry for the poor piloting but I still need to trim it out (up elevator) but you get the drift...it flies! I wanted to get this video up before I modify the plane again. The next thing is to add a simple thrust vectoring system that I can turn on and off. I have 2 designs in my head and I have not decided which one to implement:)

17. rodrigo

rodrigo Top Gun

excellent!!! great video and the plane fly really good..
    your launch system is great.... a little scary for me but like carrier launch... just missing the vapor and your shooter flight deck official
    congratulations!!

18. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

vicentel Are you doing 1 or 2 axis thrust vectoring? Are you sticking a vane in the flow or going to use a gimbal type exhaust nozzle? I have playing around for about a year and experimented with both and find the gimbal is much more effective. You are right about being able to shut it off, for it is an animal to fly until you tame it. Worst I had, was the elevator servo for the TV died in an up position and had to rebuild after it landed. Got any questions, glad to help.

19. I was leaning towards using gimbal over the vane for my TV system. I initially tried the vane system and wasn't sure if the instability was in the plane dimensions or the TV, so I removed the TV and redesigned the pane dimensions. Now that I have a stable platform, I wanted to add back the TV but couldn't decide if I should try the vane again. Knowing that you tried both types makes me more comfortable in going with the gimbal system. Thanks!

Also, I will probably go with a 2-axis TV system for aileron and roll. I will probably use differential thrust for the EDFs for rudder control.

20. MoTheG

MoTheG Airman

Are you going to use the opportunity to change the ducting too?
    Unless you improve that, you will likely loose more thrust.