Which TX ? help needed !!!

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by Hattster, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Hattster

Hattster Rookie

Hi Guys, been a few years since ive been here ;( lol. Ive just got back into rc and purchased a phantom quadcopter and its got me yearning to build a plane again ;) . Ive just seen the v4 f18 and also the alphajet wow things have certainly moved on since my f22 v2 lol. Well im in the market for a New TX and want to know what would be needed to fly these to their best? i know when i was on here along time ago the dx6i was the top dog to have but i know it has its probs with v tail mix etc. so advice guys whats new and what are you guys using these days? if you have a preferance please say why too i need to buy one ASAP :) thanks in advance :)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  2. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

I'd go for the FrSky Taranis. Loads of features should mean that you'll never have to upgrade the Tx again, open source software so it's always going to be one step ahead of the game with updatable and customisable programming and firmware, excellent range capability, it's modular so will accept DSM2 / 433 MHz etc, it's a quality build product, spares are cheap (should you ever need them) and the overall price point is less than half that of a Spektrum DX9.

I converted to FrSky about 6wks ago and have been asking myself why I didn't do it sooner

RobDavis likes this.
  3. Hattster

Hattster Rookie

Thanks for a quick reply, Im on a FPV facebook group and all the guys are going for Taranis, I just think it may be too much for me, options wise and learning curve ? and i would like the good backup warranty service too, I have been looking at the new DX6, that looks pretty good too :)

4. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

I had the DX6i for the last few years and was going to replace it with the new DX6 but the Taranis package is such a better deal. The programming doesn't take much to grasp and the PC interface makes it even easier. I've not heard of anyone having any issues with the Taranis that required servicing.

RobDavis likes this.
  5. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

You don't have to use all the features just yet anyway :)

Most of my models are simple 5ch efforts but the "future proofing" that this radio allows me was the major factor in buying it. With the DX6, you will be stuck with 6channels and if you need more, you will need to buy another tx. The Taranis offers up to 32 channels from the outset.

6. Hattster

Hattster Rookie

I can see where youre coming from, ive looked into them and alot of the UK lads are pushing the taranis for future proofing etc, just its alot of cash if something does go wrong ;( .

7. CeeKay

CeeKay Ace Pilot

It's still cheaper than a Spektrum. I paid £170 for mine with 3x8ch full telemetry rx's and a DSM2 module to allow me to still use all my existing Spektrum and Orange rx's, against £150 for a new DX6.

You still get a warranty with the Taranis and there is service support available through T9 Hobbysport should it be required.

Hattster likes this.
  8. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Top Gun

I love the new DX6..they have made a lot of strides to catch up..plus customer service at horizon rocks and tons of Bind n fly aircraft out there....the 6i is too old skool...the new DX6 is the way to go if you want a spektrum product..no trouble saying i love mine so far.

Dan

Hattster likes this.
  9. Hattster

Hattster Rookie

Cheers for that Dan, so with the new 6 can you elevon mix and everything without having to do a work around like on the 6i ? ive just dloaded the frc foamies su37 v2 plans will this fly it without having to mess about?

10. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Top Gun

Yeah you sure can....it's only the 6i with that issue. I've now setup 6 elevon planes with it and they all have full deflection. It also gives you a ton of mixes and assignable switches. I like the radio a lot.

Hattster likes this.
  11. Hattster

Hattster Rookie

well after days and days of umming and arring and reading reviews until my head hurts, ive gone for the turnigy 9xr with frsky 2.4ghz module ;)....would just like to thank everyone who gave advice ;) Thankyou !!

Grantman likes this.
  12. philliplunsford

philliplunsford Airman

I know it has been a long time since I have been on this site. Need a little help. I can not remember how to calibrate a new esc with the transmitter. Please help. Thanks in advance!

13. theplumber717

theplumber717 Ace Pilot

Which one? (Transmitter?) The one's i have you have (flysky fs-t6, spektrum dx6i) place the bind plug in the bind slot of the receiver, Plug power into your receiver with your battery, you need the esc hooked up.Then hold down the bind plug on your transmitter, usually a button on the back, while holding bind button power on transmitter. When the light on receiver go's solid it's bound. Usually a few seconds. power down, remove bind plug.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  14. philliplunsford

philliplunsford Airman

The esc is new as well as the motor. Nothing happens when I apply the power. How do I get the esc to work. My memory is not what it use to be. I know I have to do something one time with the new esc.

15. theplumber717

theplumber717 Ace Pilot

what brand is the transmitter? i described the 2 i have above your post. (If you open a new post not in this one you will get more looks at it.) I would guess it's as i posted up top.

16. philliplunsford

philliplunsford Airman

I have a turnigy 9 channel. It is new as well. I am use to the old 72 freq transmitter. So many changes. Trying to adapt to the new technogy. Thanks for the help

17. theplumber717

theplumber717 Ace Pilot

No problem it should bind like this..... place the bind plug in the bind slot of the receiver, Plug power into your receiver with your battery, you need the esc hooked up.Then hold down the bind plug on your transmitter, usually a button on the back, while holding bind button power on transmitter. When the light on receiver go's solid it's bound. Usually a few seconds. power down, remove bind plug.

18. theplumber717

theplumber717 Ace Pilot

19. philliplunsford

philliplunsford Airman

Thanks, I will give this a try. Thanks for the help. I will let you know what happens

20. theplumber717

theplumber717 Ace Pilot

no problem