What i finished building/built today.

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by dangermouse650, Jan 9, 2016.

1. pileit1

pileit1 Ace Pilot

That's a good looking hybrid sirshyhi. Good luck on the maiden,,,whenever it happens.

We all share that trait brother. I think it's a mental condition.;):D

bimoadiprakoso and bogusbandit56 like this.
  2. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

That plane is a winner!!!! Has it got rudder?

bimoadiprakoso and bogusbandit56 like this.
  3. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Thank you that is a nice compliment:) Yes it does have a rudder and it needs it in the wind.

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  4. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

bb56:

1) Do me a favor-- fly in the wind like you are doing. Go inverted and fly level and straight--check the CG--if nose down is needed, move battery and redo. Concept is you want a slight push down on elevator and only slight push. I usually move my battery until a roll it upside down and almost no push at all. Mark that CG.

2) Now add large main gear and try to get it as forward(reduces nose tipping) and as wide as possible. Gear forward, battery back.

3) take spring wire and make tail gear so it doesn't drag or catch on grass. Make it short so plane is inclined as much as possible. No wheel initially. Higher the nose, shorter takeoff.

4) You now have a STOL plane. Bet that puppy will take off in a short distance.(with wind, it should blow backwards before you start). The key is your wing!!!!

Your plane should soar just as is:
    5) Find the CG as above and now give it a tad noseheavy. Go up about 200ft or so(wind is more constant), shut the motor off and if you practice enough, you should be able to slope soar. From watching the video, use your rudder to go directly into the wind and it should soar. As you get experience, use your rudder to position the plane.

The position of the battery is dependent on the wind speed, where the higher the wind, more forward with the battery. Remember, it is very small changes in the battery. I fly my Radian glider all year by doing what I just said.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  5. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Thank you for the advice. It is very windy in England at the present with gust of 30+ mph, so I am not flying. I have built some landing gear for the plane but the meadow where I fly is very rough and only mowed once a year. If I put the gear on it would cause damage to the plane, but your advice is very sound and I am sure with the weight of the plane only around 10 ounces it will STOL very well.
    The first L3 I built has a scale fueselage and the wing area is very large in comparison. On the second flight the plane would climb in thermals as I followed some gulls circling in the colum of warm air. It has a tiny power set up with a hextronic 24 gram 1300kva motor and is powered with a zippy 1000mha battery. I achieved a 19.14 minute flight with that set up.
    I am very pleased with the performance of this little plane and hopefully we will be able to offer the plans in the near future.

bimoadiprakoso, Lgel and Wildthing like this.
  6. dangermouse650

dangermouse650 Ace Pilot

Ok, well i haven't finished anything as yet or taken pics, i made a start on the highlander, really want to get into this take off and landing thing. Unfortunately time is short, am loving all these new fangled planes coming out....but..... i would really love to see an old school F4E phantom or an F-111 or both. I put this here in hopes that one of you design gurus may have a go... Hint Hint....:) Blue skies and happy flights to all.

7. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

I threw together a F-35.Some sanding and paint and it's done. SANY0003.JPG SANY0004.JPG SANY0005 (1).JPG

8. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

9. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

Thanks bb56.I wanted to paint it scale,but it would be hard to find it if it lands in the soybeans.o_O

10. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

How about fitting an alarm? It would be a shame to lose it.
    It`s pretty obvious you did not just throw this plane together:) How long did it take and did you use heat to mold the fuselage?

Wildthing likes this.
  11. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

No heat,just rolled mpf.The turtle deck is rolled dollor tree foam.I won't lose it,it just takes a long time to find it, i watch where it lands,but it never seems to be there.Most of the time i just hit the throttle but on hard landings the battery disconnects.

bogusbandit56 and Wildthing like this.
  12. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

Paint is done,Fourth in line for maiden flight.

Attached Files:

13. Wow! That looks fantastic!!

14. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

15. NICE JOB, don't you dare crash it. ;)

Flybyknight22 and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  16. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

I normally look foward to the first crash and repair,after that I'm not worried about it any more.

17. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

I like your style!

After all,.. In the end "It's just Foam".

18. achilles

achilles Ace Pilot

finished this PT 17.Waiting for the wind to calm down to see if it will fly. FSCN0216.JPG

19. Nice click! good looking plane too...

borg187 and bimoadiprakoso like this.