What i finished building/built today.

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by dangermouse650, Jan 9, 2016.

1. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

No, you're just stating fact. The odds are very good! ;)

Peter

2. CrstnJdi

CrstnJdi Airman

Now that is something you see as a color theme everyday. I love DM growing up. ^_^

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  3. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

Decided to go what is now old school with the P I F-15 C for some mid prop thrashing around,easy to build and easy to fix.I can barrol this one in to the ground and not care. IMG_20180827_151913.jpg

Hami21, andy_downs, Lgel and 4 others like this.
  4. Splashballz

Splashballz Ace Pilot

The F15C remains the only plane in my hangar which I’ve never crashed (fingers crossed). It’s still got its original nose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

I built this one with a 4x4 set up,I've only built 2x4's so I wanted to see the difference in handleing.I'm trying to get away from unexpected tip stalls.I forgot how loud mid props were.:cool:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  6. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Heeeey, that's such a beauty, jimbosflyin! :cool: Oh yes, I now love rear mounted because we are able to get rid some of the noise and exchange it into more speed :D

I remember you called it "a tank", SB :D I have it placed on the wall in my room in my office.

Parkflyers International Parkjets

My Scratchbuilding Journey

Google+

andy_downs, Wildthing and jimbosflyin like this.
  7. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

My 18 month old grand nephew loves aeroplanes, but for some reason nobody can fathom why he calls them M.
    An airliner will pass over taking off from EMA (East midlands Airport) and he becomes very animated points with both hands a shouts M.
    I decided to build a very lightweight, simple M so we could fly it in the small field where he lives.
    It was also an experiment to see if it was possible to build an outdoor plane from Hobby King foam, so this is what I came up with.
    A small combat type plane similar to the flite test baby baron but smaller and very much lighter. I have cut the wings and empenage to look like a Sopwith Pup rather than the Fokker.
    I took the plane to the meadow for it`s maiden flight but my camera didn`t have a sim card.
    Anyhoo, the M flies very well turns on a dime even without rudder and will hover in a light breeze.
    It has a tiny HK ax 2000kva stick mount motor 12 amp esc and powered with a 1000mha battery.
    After the maiden I took it down to fly with Daniel but he was having his afternoon nap, so I flew it round the tiny field to see how it faired in the tight confines.
    It turns out to be perfect:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    EricR, andy_downs, Lgel and 2 others like this.
  8. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I took Emma out for another flight but the wind picked up a bit and I dumb thumbed it into the deck.
    I was trying to keep the plane in shot as it was so small, but ran out of elevator throws and sky trying to fly inverted.
    Depron would have survived this little prang but the Hobby King foam is so delicate I may have to build a new fuselage. Once it`s dented it just looses all structural integrity.
    This is a typical example of not keeping it one mistake high.

9. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Been a week or so in the making but I now have a working weather station ready to install at the club.

Bit of wind and temperature monitoring as it seems local weather reports don't take into account the effect of a large airfield on wind conditions!!
    Reports out every 15 minutes onto the internet (it's not live at the minute so the data is from indoors)

https://thingspeak.com/channels/568743

Took some massaging of the old grey cells as I've not coded in C++ for years and using Arduino boards is all new to me but I'm happy with the result and it actually works really well.
    3D printed anemometer and wind vane using reed switches and hall sensors with the added bonus that the PLA+ I'm using now is UV stable so after an afternoon in direct sunlight it's still cold!

Might even see if I can package something up for other clubs to use as it's quite handy to have live data to hand before setting off with a boot full of planes :)

10. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

23 celcius at Langar, bugger this it`s 18C in my front room at 22.14pm, hmmm I might have to put a vest on.
    What about some photo`s of said station?:)

Splashballz and Sterling101 like this.
  11. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

It's a little messy looking at the minute but as soon as the mount has printed out I'll pop a picture up. Have to admit I've been impressed with this build as it's been a few years since I made anything using an embedded processor and never done direct internet work with one at all!

Splashballz and bogusbandit56 like this.
  12. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Personally I have bought all my electronic devices because I haven`t a clue what you are talking about.
    The only thing that gets embedded in this house is me when I can`t get up due to a bad back.:)
    After 4 failed attempts I still can`t get a tricopter to fly with a KK2 board.

13. They installed a weather station at out club last year, even though it is 14km away I will look at it before the weather station. Same thing it updates every 15 minutes. Everybody at the club has the address to log into it whether from their phone or PC.

14. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Well, the mount is ok but I decided to redesign the wind vane using hall effect sensors instead of reed switches as I was breaking them far to often. So incredibly delicate and the last straw was breaking another two just mounting the wind vane into the mount!
    Got a few pics of what it looks like at least with the 8 hall sensors which gives me a full 16 point compass reading. What's inside the base is a resistor network of 8 different values that form a voltage divider as the hall sensor provides voltage when it detects the magnet passing close to it. I then read that voltage and use a look up table to reference the direction it relates to.
    Because the hall sensor sees the magnet when it's along side it too I get two switched on at the same time if the magnet is between sensors. By taking a bit more ohm's law and working out the parallel resistance I can find out which two sensors are active and return the correct results.

The vane itself has been replaced by one that's a bit larger and it seems to work quite nicely.

The anemometer is a hall sensor and two magnets. By reading the time between pulses and having a known diameter of the cups I can work out the wind speed really easily.

Attached Files:

15. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Very nice:)

16. Looks great. I think I only understood 1/4 of what you said though. :D

17. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Just printing the case to hold all the regulator boards, battery and main MCU then it's on to printing the shield for the temp sensor and wind turbine parts :D
    Been a good fun project this has and might be able to sell a few too now it's confirmed working :)

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  18. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I understood 100% of what you said:D

19. Hami21

Hami21 Ace Pilot

F-14 PI almost ready guys :) today had some time to deal with this plane and after few hours manage to have this result :) some more painting is needed and the navigation lights to be complete :)

Attached Files:

20. Looks fricken awesome. :)