What i finished building/built today.

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by dangermouse650, Jan 9, 2016.

1. sirskyhi

sirskyhi Ace Pilot

I guess I've been in the hobby now long enough to say I have an old motor laying around without a plane attached. I was bored while I'm waiting for a 64mm EDF to be delivered from China :>(. So I though I'd visit the boys over at Flitetest to see what they had. Well I found this Baby Blender v2. Cute little thing. Didn't take much to build but it kept my hands busy. It's 21 degrees f (-6c) so I won't be flying today. Maybe later in the week when it closer to 35 deg f (1c). Wish me luck.
    Baby Blender.jpg Baby Blender2.jpg

2. Kinda boxy but cute. -6 and no wind you should be flying, I would. :D :D

3. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Actually finished this back in February, but it never flew - lack of skill and understanding I think. First flight just veered left and crashed, second flight hadn't got the power to lift off as the motor wasn't strong enough.
    Decided to put what I've learnt into it and see if I can get it airborne tomorrow assuming we break 0 degrees and the fog clears.
    New 1500kv motor and 8x4 prop (same power setup as my Spitfire) and some fixed undercarriage. Hopeful it'll fly as with battery the AUW has come in at 900g on the nose!

IMG_20161229_204142.jpg

4. KashifSMalik

KashifSMalik Rookie

May I ask which plan you used for this guy?

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  5. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

It came free with R&CME magazine back in February.
    The plan was very poor though but with some imagination it's workable.

Here's the build photos which covers some of the plan, sadly this is about as good as it gets from this plan...
    http://www.modelflying.co.uk/news/article/aermacchi-am3c-build-photo's/22972

borg187, Wildthing and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  6. mastermalpass086

mastermalpass086 Ace Pilot

After having a few tumbles on her maiden, the FT Cruiser needed work. Been a while getting around to doing it, but after finally starting work, I realised the long list wasn't necesarilly a long job!

Some extra bits to fasten the props to their motors (they won't be coming off mid-flight now), new wheels, as the homemade ones had their cores worn out by a heavy touchdown, a CF Rod in the tail to straighten it out again, some CF for the crimped wing-tip, and some re-glueing inside the wing. Just need to stick some lolly sticks to the elevator to keep their rates even, and she'll be ready to go up again!

[​IMG]

Oh, I also figured out where the CoG is meant to be. So her next flight won't be such a tail-heavy panicfest.

7. Well to cold to fly, -33, so I built a new 4' X 4' portable h/d folding work table .Got rid of the saw horses and sheet of warped plywood. ;)
    I will give it a couple coats of varathane and then think of what the next project should be. It will make a good card table too. :D

2017_0102_200812_001.JPG 2017_0102_200819_002.JPG

8. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Got to tell you from watching your flights and ka booms this is one tough plane

9. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Like Wildthing, too freaking cold in the great white north so....... why not start building. This is a goofy little 3ch Magnum. All the vids show it flies slowly in confined spaces. In another video, I saw guy has 4ch setup and does some amazing 3d stuff. All good fun fer sher, eh?

Peter
    2017-01-02 21.06.09.jpg

10. That's kind of cool looking

bimoadiprakoso and homey666 like this.
  11. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

def sweet looking...

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  12. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

SANY0004.JPG My modified NAMC MIG 35A

13. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Jim -

Great paint scheme, I posted the photo you submitted on the Gallery page of the NAMC website, thanks for submitting. If you scroll about halfway down the page, you will see it there.

Thanks for building the Mig-35A and again sharing your modified wing reinforcement plan. Have you had a chance to fly the Mig-35A yet?

Cheers,

Scott

14. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

It might be a while for its maiden,we just had a good snowing and the field is going to one big mud puddell and would just be a big mess all the way around.This will be my third one that I've built and the first 2 flew great,And I'll check the NAMC website out again,I check back there all the time to see if you guy's have added any video's or updates.Did you notice the 1 inch extension of the whole leading edge of wing ? Thank's Scott.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  15. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

what i did today got one coat of sealer on full back nose and while she is drying working on P 38 lighting wing this one will be twin gas motors IMG5687.jpg 

16. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Jim -

No, sorry, I didn't notice the mod to the leading edge of the wing:rolleyes: Have you tried that mod before? If you haven't, it is a great mod to make to the Mig-35A as it will broaden the speed envelope at the low end over stock, make the plane feel even a bit quicker and lighter on the sticks and should make it a bit more forgiving:)

It was certainly one of the biggest improvements Stephan designed into the Mig-35B, the numbers are a bit foggy in my poor old memory banks, I seem to remember he added 7/8" to the leading edge at the root and it tapered down to maybe 5/8" additionally at the wing tip? I dug out this old picture comparing the first prototype of the Mig-35B to the Mig-35A, it is pretty easy to see the increase in wing area.

35A and 35B.jpg

Perhaps if you have tried this mod already or if you have already factored it in, you already know adding the extra surface area to the LE of the wing shifts the CG forward somewhat for optimal balance. If not, you might want to shift your CG ahead a bit from the stock Mig-35A point or it might fly tail heavy on the maiden.

In the picture below, the hex driver is pointing to roughly where the CG would be on the stock Mig-35A, the bamboo skewer is pointing to where my CG is on a Mig-35B with the increased wing area, about 3/4" difference. This allowed us to shift the battery forward in the Mig-35B over the Mig-35A which was another welcome improvement. In the stock Mig-35A, it was a bit of a pain sometimes to get things all jammed back close to the motor to get it to balance. Live and learn as we move on tinkering with our designs:cool:

2017-01-11 05.54.58.jpg

I really like your splinter paint scheme, I had similar colors on my highest time Mig-35A although in the more free hand camo and found it was one of the easiest schemes to track in the sky regardless of sky conditions.

I hope you find some of the stuff on our website helpful:rolleyes:

Fingers crossed your weather improves soon and best of luck on the maiden flight:)

Cheers,

Scott

17. mastermalpass086

mastermalpass086 Ace Pilot

A gas powered balsa P-38? Looks like it's gonna be a real nice scale flyer when it's finished!

You gonna go all out with retracts, lights, cameras, as well? :)

18. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

On the second one that I built I had was tring to make the mods by eye to make it like the Mig-35 B,and I noticed all the changes you mentioned.I ran out of supplies so the elerons are not installed on this one yet,easy enough to add later and I don't usually bother with rudders.next mod I would like to try is a dropped battery tray like we are seeing now on the PI parkjets,I {think} will make a differance in the stability.But there isn't much room for it in this plane.

19. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Jim -

The Mig-35A is a bit top heavy compared to the Mig-35B for sure. I actually did a "battery box" mod to one of my original Mig-35As a long time ago when we were discussing the idea before testing initial prototypes of the Mig-35B. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any pictures of that mod I made:oops:

Essentially all I did was cut a rectangular hole in the bottom of the existing fuselage of one of my older Mig-35As a bit wider than the 2200 battery with about maybe 1/2-3/4" extra forward and aft of where the battery would sit. Then I built a small box that would allow the battery to sit about another 1/2" lower than the stock position on the Mig-35A.

This did cause some drag of course, I actually fashioned a ramp/spoiler in front of the little box to help make it a bit more aerodynamic which did help, but then the ramp made it want to zoom a little bit at top speed, so fortunately I had enough room to slide the battery further forward a bit.

It certainly made a difference in making the plane more stable and "self righting" and helped get Stephan on the right track to changing the fuselage on the Mig-35B. I'll keep searching for pictures and share if I find any.

Lots of fun to experiment:)

Cheers,

Scott

20. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Jim -

Just for reference if you do want to experiment dropping the battery down, the bottom of the battery bay on the Mig-35B is 1 and 1/8" below the bottom of the wing plate measured inside.

As I mentioned, the mod I played with on one of my Mig-35As got us started and then after one prototype of the Mig-35B where it was still a bit top heavy, Stephan dropped it even more. I don't think we could get it any lower (nor do we really need to I don't think) without affecting any scale looks even more.

I can't remember where the bottom of the battery is in relation to the bottom of the wing plate on the Mig-35A. You can certainly experiment, again as the battery gets dropped lower between the nacelles in some sort of box or cradle it will create some drag, all part of the trade off when tinkering with these little beauties:)

Cheers,

Scott