What i finished building/built today.

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by dangermouse650, Jan 9, 2016.

1. dangermouse650

dangermouse650 Ace Pilot

I want to get all 3 of my sons involved in flying, Jeremy is already a capable flyer and builder, my youngest has had a go on a few 2 channel planes and a trainer/slowstick. He had a bit of a scare late last year when he retrieved a plane he come across a snake, well since then he hasn't come out with us much. Would love to get them all involved in flying combat, so my latest build is the rcgroups eddie and otto biplane. I have built the eddie which is ready for maiden and the otto is cut ready to piece together. Anakin likes pokemon and pikachu so my colour scheme was that way inclined. It is a R.E.T. design so it should be easy for him to control.
    [​IMG]

2. Splashballz

Splashballz Ace Pilot

Hey Mouse, that looks great! How old are the boys?

3. dangermouse650

dangermouse650 Ace Pilot

Thanks Splash, the boys are 15, 14 and 12.

4. abbot54

abbot54 Rookie

Nice work. I am sure your boys will love it.

5. dangermouse650

dangermouse650 Ace Pilot

Made a few tweaks to the eddie version and will maiden the otto this afternoon. Will also be maidening Jays 60% su 27, should be interesting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  6. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

Really cool,makes me want to dig out my byob red baron and snoopy flying ace bi wings.Nice work.I'm a big classic Looney Tunes fan still watch it almost every day,it's better than watching all the crap going on in the world today.

7. dangermouse650

dangermouse650 Ace Pilot

I'm not 100% happy with the way the little biplanes fly, still trying to get them right, so in my quest to make something that the boys can fly easy i tried something a little different. Wheels get knocked off, motor mounts at the front get broken(bent/broken shafts) so looked around and took some ideas from other planes and come up with this.....
    [​IMG]
    I will see if it flies first thing in the morning, hopefully the wind dies down. Pusher, motor is safe, depron wing, styrofoam fuse, had some of those styro boxes laying around so put them to use. Designed so that the bottom is the lg/skid, has a 6mm dowell running through the fuselage just above the bottom and at the motor mount. Wish me luck.... :)

8. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I dont think you will get much crash damage with that little beast is it a Wart Piglet?, the ground will see it coming and get out of it`s way:D
    I have built a few little BiPlanes and not had much luck, I think they suffer with too much lift and difficult to achieve CG`s.
    All the best, Ian.

9. dangermouse650

dangermouse650 Ace Pilot

Blowing a gale again today and i had some free time...... I have been wanting to build another Mig 29 V1, i also wanted to use a 64mm edf that i had laying around....
    [​IMG]
    DM has joined the jet age.....colours based on the DM mobile. I needed something different to all the blues and greys......

10. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I was watching DM on telly a few months ago and thought of building a DM mobile with wings and motor:) It would be a lot of fun.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  11. dangermouse650

dangermouse650 Ace Pilot

Still waiting for this damn wind to ease up..... Some of you may remember this.
    [​IMG]
    It has been hanging on my ceiling of shame for quite some time now waiting for me to scrap it for parts. I never could get it to fly right always wanted to fly one way or another, i broke it in half, i busted the wings off, i broke the nose off, so i stopped fixing it. I looked at it this morning and i had an idea....

12. dangermouse650

dangermouse650 Ace Pilot

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I decided i wouldn't fix up the paintwork until i see whether or not it will behave.........

13. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I am sure it will behave far better in this incarnation DM.
    It`s a shame the Bipe did`nt fly well cos you made such a nice job.
    Did you ever try it without the KF2 airfoils?

bimoadiprakoso, borg187 and Slingshot like this.
  14. dangermouse650

dangermouse650 Ace Pilot

No, after the last crash which i broke the motor mount off i just left it on the ceiling.

15. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Shame:(

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  16. dangermouse650

dangermouse650 Ace Pilot

They say "never give up trying"......well the mig 29 works. Seems to be the way it is, i build 3 and 1 flies. Some people seem to be able to get any shape they want to fly, yet every time i try it misbehaves, flies in erratic directions or into the ground. I have not had any of this trouble with the rcp designs so maybe i should just stick with the jets....:confused::mad::( extremely frustrating and disappointing.....

17. mastermalpass086

mastermalpass086 Ace Pilot

I think a Bi-plane with a design like that is going to have a lot of difficulty when it comes to CG and getting it to fly in a straight line due to it's short fuselage. Your Bi-Plane resembles the stunt planes of it's type. My guess for getting a Bi-Plane to fly more stable is to give it a longer fuselage, like the Tiger Moth or Farey Swordfish. Still, I doubt they're easy to fly.

My dad loves the WW1 planes, and really wants one, but afterwatching him fly his Cessna 182 for a record 30 seconds before totalling it, I'm insisting on an FT Viggen (replaceable nose and a flat underbelly is promising), if not I'll hand my Su-34 to him when I make an F-18 V4.

18. dangermouse650

dangermouse650 Ace Pilot

I think my building, designing and flying skills have a long way to go yet, must be bad if i can't even build a nutball that will fly in a straight line.......they rave about them at rcgroups, well it doesn't work for me....

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  19. RumbleRC

RumbleRC Airman

dangermouse, i love that yellow paint, was that sprayed on?

20. dangermouse650

dangermouse650 Ace Pilot

Yes, just cheap acrylic paint watered down and airbrushed on.