WHAT DID YOU FLY TODAY???

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by SONICFOAM, Nov 20, 2010.

1. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

the wind probally not as bad as it sounded,about 12-15 mph at a guess but no problem for the A10.the worst part was having the cross wind.

2. That was good expect the landing was a tad harsh ;) .

3. mastermalpass086

mastermalpass086 Ace Pilot

Yeah, broke the landing gear off again. Gonna fix it back on with hot-glue again, meaning it will probably be a bit fragile, again, and hopefully I can break my way to learning to land softly haha!

4. I know the feeling. :)

5. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I flew an AN2 designed by Jeff this morning in the freezing cold.
    Just one flight for Little Annie because I`m feeling the cold these days.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  6. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

very nice and the launch looks effortless,and those low passes look great,was that a touch and go at 8.20,nice flight times as well,looks just great in the air.

7. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Thanks very much Andy.
    Little Annie only needs a gnats fart to get her moving:D
    Not quite a touch and go but the prop got pretty close.

8. wilsonair

wilsonair Cadet

I just flew the RCPOWERS Hydrojet, and boy does it fly well, I wish I would have filmed the flite. It flys like it's floating in the air, glad I built the plane, thanks to Rcpowers.

Attached Files:

9. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Took the SBach out for a quick post nose repair flight and to try out my new FrSky Taranis transmitter.
    All good on the transmitter front as it's set up running erSky9x the same as my 9XR-Pro and the models have just been transferred straight over so just had to do a re-bind and failsafe setup.

However, it seems I need to use the higher C batteries now I'm running the 10x5 prop. Running the Graphene 1000mah 45C batteries I'm getting voltage warnings at anything above half throttle so I might try my 65C ones and see how they fair.
    I do need to swap the tail servos though as the elevator decided that it wasn't going to play today so had minimal movement due to the gears slipping on the super cheap Tower Pro servo I used. The rudder isn't sounding great either so I'll do them both I think while I'm in there!
    Other than it being quite a sedate flight it went ok, just rather cold so was shivering a bit! I did get a video but it's just me doing circuits trying to work out what was going on with the elevator for the most part so rather boring :)

Now back to printing the transmitter tray for the X9D - prototype one worked well this morning so I'll get v2 modded up and on the bed :)

10. Just turn the warnings off. ;) :D :D :D Just kidding, to fancy of equipment, I get no warnings on mine. ;) I pretty well only buy 65C rated or higher batteries but I also don't have any of those fancy graphene batteries either.

I bought a dozen Tower Pro servos a couple years ago and won't buy another one, had nothing but problems from day 1.

11. Forgot to ask about the voltage warnings, how it works. To me it would be more of to many possible amps being drawn not volts. Voltage is only coming from the battery so that can't change or do you also program in the C rating of the battery into the TX?

12. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

I bought the servo's as a super cheap "quick test build" but won't bother with them again I don't think.
    The batteries are going to take a bit more of a beating I think with the bigger prop so 65C all the way for this one I feel. Might have to go to a 1500mah maybe to give it a bit more overhead too?
    The graphene batteries were on special so decided to give them a go. To be honest I think they're a bit of a gimmick though as I haven't noticed much over a standard high C battery performance wise.

Voltage warnings are handy as they tell you when you're sucking far too much out of the battery - hence the voltage droop triggering the warning.

On a normal flight it's there as a "stop being silly you're running out of juice" alert so you know you can throttle back and land. When it triggers on take off you know you have too small a C rating :D
    All I do is set a trigger value on the TX to say if the voltage gets below this point then trigger the warning. On a 3S I assume that 9.6v is sagging too low so the warning comes on at that point - generally base it on 3.2v per cell is the lower end for the warning.
    On my big Hawk it's set a bit higher so if it comes in during the flight I know I have enough left to circuit round and bring it in :)

13. I get it, thanks for the explanation. :)

Sterling101 likes this.
  14. Newt

Newt Administrator

Finally some sunshine! [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

15. trying2fly

trying2fly Top Gun

Please post a picture of your AN2...also would love to see a video. chas

16. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Here you go Chas:)

17. trying2fly

trying2fly Top Gun

You and that plane are perfectly matched. You are a fine pilot and that plane did just what you asked of it. What a great evening relaxer. If it weren't so cold and windy you could have enjoyed that plane for another coupla flights!!! chas

bogusbandit56 likes this.
  18. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Thanks Chas , you are too kind:)
    I did find some time for a further two flights today but I was driven away by the cold again:)

andy_downs and Sterling101 like this.
  19. mastermalpass086

mastermalpass086 Ace Pilot

Sunday (yeah, bit late on the report, I know) I took the Mini out and honed skills in low-level object avoidance (Do not let the plane pass between myself and a tree unless I know it's rather close to me) and successfully landed without nosing over (Landing gear, that was only taped on came off on touch down.. That may have helped). Video recorded, think I'll save uploading until I've flown a few more flights then I'll edit a highlight reel.

Wildthing and bogusbandit56 like this.