WHAT DID YOU FLY TODAY???

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by SONICFOAM, Nov 20, 2010.

1. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

I know,what's up with that mark up ?

e3_Scott and Wildthing like this.
  2. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Thanks Peter:)

Cheers,

Scott

3. notamedclosed

notamedclosed Ace Pilot

Still having way too much fun with my 3" miniquad. Going to wear it out in a few weeks at this pace. Actually it's down right now on account of burning out an ESC in wet grass. Turns out if you are going to use silicon conformal coating to waterproof your electronics you better use a UV light to check coverage as I missed a solid chunk of the bottom of my 4in1 ESC.

4. trying2fly

trying2fly Top Gun

Wonderful video

notamedclosed likes this.
  5. Thanks for the tip on UV light - was not aware of it. Have been dipping my esc in the conformal coating after tinning solder plates -> solder wires (hot solder burns off the local coating) -> apply coat again on top with a brush just on the soldered area...

Guess I’ll have to use my wife’s nail paint UV curer [secretly] for this... nice video

notamedclosed and Wildthing like this.
  6. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Depending on how much they ding you for shipping, you would be better off getting Foam Cure from Hobby King, a 4 oz bottle for $4.27 from the US warehouse https://hobbyking.com/en_us/foam-cure-epp-and-epo-foam-glue-4-oz.html?wrh_pdp=2. It is cheaper from the Global Warehouse, but I think you might get dinged hard with shipping as they might consider it a "dangerous good" https://hobbyking.com/en_us/foam-cure-epp-and-epo-foam-glue-4-oz.html?wrh_pdp=3 I know awhile back I went to buy some more and it had to be shipped by courier (UPS/Fed Ex). Luckily, I found the Craft Medley stuff at a couple places and it has worked out excellent for me.

One thing to watch for, it does sometimes create the thin "strings/hairs" like hot glue does when you pull it away from a surface where you have been applying it, so that can be a bit of a pain:(

Foam Cure and the Craft Medley glue are from my experience in building with both the exact same formula.

Cheers,

Scott

trying2fly and Wildthing like this.
  7. notamedclosed

notamedclosed Ace Pilot

It's hard to take a picture of UV light...doesn't show right...but here you can see the damaged ESC board (left with big capacitor) with only about 1/4 of it covered. I must have got interrupted and failed to come back and finish it.

[​IMG]

Here is the other side...fully covered.

[​IMG]

trying2fly, Wildthing and malukk like this.
  8. Wow! Big difference there with UV but I wonder if you can figure out small spots? I hope you are not exposing your body to that UV light...

trying2fly and Wildthing like this.
  9. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

I'll just stick with foam tac and BSI and just take the hit of more $.

Wildthing and e3_Scott like this.
  10. notamedclosed

notamedclosed Ace Pilot

Worried I might become the Hulk? :D

This is just a UV LED flashlight at 395 nM, which is just barely dipping into the UVA spectrum. A blacklight. My understanding is other then not staring directly at the source, like a regular flashlight, it's essentially harmless.

malukk, trying2fly and Wildthing like this.
  11. Well -15 here today along with about a 20K wind, JIMBO also snow on the ground!!!!!! Snowflake #2 had it's 1 battery maiden. Whatever angle you launch it at that is where it is heading , true and straight. Stole the motor and esc out of the proto type so same power setup and I believe it is faster by far so those 3D thin wall printed engines made a big difference . Not saying it was slow before but definitely a big improvement in speed. I do think my burst rate on these cheap esc's isn't that good because the WOT only last a couple seconds and then you can here it slow down a bit.

So this one was built at 105% with a slight mod to the battery tray to make more room for the battery and did a one piece wing plus I used only one elevator servo. . For you guys that don't have a 3D printer Jim is is working on some thinwall foam ones with no cross mount in the center of them so they should also have less wind restriction. If you have a 3D printer I can send you the files. That is once Bimo and Jim confirm the plans LOL.

Setup in here is a 1800 Zippy 4S battery, 40A Predator ESC, Geprc 2306 2750kv motor and a 6X3 TGS prop.

12. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Had these two little steeds out for some good "rippage" today:)
    20181108_091154.jpg
    I shot some flight footage of the F-15 V5 on 4S:)

#keepingRCPowersalive

Cheers,

Scott

13. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

Unbelievable Scott.:eek:

e3_Scott likes this.
  14. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Looks so good in the air!

Peter

Wildthing likes this.
  15. I think you will need to build one Peter.

16. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

I think I heard your joyful chortles and awesome 15 up here in the interior! Wow.

Peter

e3_Scott and Wildthing like this.
  17. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

In line, baby! ;)

Wildthing likes this.
  18. trying2fly

trying2fly Top Gun

Started to find out today what the "MODI-FOIL" would do to the performance of this F-22 Raptor. Video when rain stops. Crossing my fingers! chas F-22 Latest add to Squadron 003.JPG

jimbosflyin and Wildthing like this.
  19. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

It's been a while since I've been able to fly anything and the dried up soybean stalks cause a little damage but managed to get my P I F-15G1 out to eat up a few batteries.The sound of freedom on Veterans day. IMG_20181111_151117.jpg

notamedclosed, homey666 and Wildthing like this.
  20. It's about time, LOL.

jimbosflyin likes this.