WHAT DID YOU FLY TODAY???

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by SONICFOAM, Nov 20, 2010.

1. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

There is a way to bring a totally dead battery back to life,I had to waite a few days to get one of my planes back.I serched it here and if you charge it on NiMh for about 30 seconds and then return the charge back to Lipo it takes a charge again.It saved a new battery for me,but look it up so you can read how to do it.

bogusbandit56 and Wildthing like this.
  2. notamedclosed

notamedclosed Ace Pilot

You want to get weird? Lets get weird.

[​IMG]

Twin engine, thrust vectoring, active canard delta.

10+ year old design from RCgroups I just happened upon. Called the X-42.

Still unpainted because I'm not spending time on something this unusual until I know it's actually going fly :D.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With the thrust vectoring off it flies very nice. Thrust vectoring might still need some tweaks as things get weird. Biggest problem is the dual motors thrash the poor battery. I'm constantly fighting the low battery warning, but then when I land it bounces back up to a decent voltage. Am running a 5x4.5 bullnose but I've got a 5x5 APC to try next. This is on some no name 2700 kv from GearBest because that's all I happened to have 2 spares sitting around.

3. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

The 2700 gearbest can draw 40 amp each or even 54 amp with 6x4 props. Information supplied by Scott and rcplanepirate. You would probably be better off with some modern quad motors.
    Nice plane :)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  4. sirskyhi

sirskyhi Ace Pilot

Just an update. Got the plane back. When the janitor carried it through the school the teachers and students were so impressed they ask if I would come back and give a class on remote control planes and a flying demonstration. Note to self, "Don't fly on a windy day." You just never know what will happen when you loose a plane. I might even plant a seed in one of those kids to be the next Chuck Yeager. You never know.

5. sirskyhi

sirskyhi Ace Pilot

I've used thess 2700kv motors on most of my RCPowers planes. I'm not very technical but I've flown with these motors for years. Yes they do get hot. But I've never had one stop working. I guess I should take a harder look at the performance when I'm flying. But to this point I've had a great time using them. I usually power them with a 2200mAh 3s as well.

6. Bull nose props suck up a ton of amps. I use 5” hq v2 props and they are much more gentler and pack a punch!

7. notamedclosed

notamedclosed Ace Pilot

Yeah...I will try some different props tomorrow...but I took @bogusbandit56 advice and ordered some miniquad motors and smaller ESC's. Not only should they be more efficient, but I will save a decent chunk of weight.

jimbosflyin and malukk like this.
  8. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I also have used these motors, but not two at a time which would really suck the power out of a 2200mha battery.:) You could draw between 70 to 100 amps depending on what type of prop being used.

Lgel, malukk and jimbosflyin like this.
  9. notamedclosed

notamedclosed Ace Pilot

Changed the twin engine, thrust vectoring, battery eating monster to some 5030 props I had kicking around. Made big difference on amp draw. Actually managed to fly for a few minutes before the battery warnings started.

Had a few more of the fleet out as well because why not.

20180911_120957.jpg

10. wilsonair

wilsonair Cadet

These Rcpowers jets fly great, looks good in the air also, V2 F35, and F22 V5. Can't wait to get the hydro done. 20180824_191722.jpg 20180824_191552.jpg 20180824_191722.jpg 20180824_191552.jpg

Lgel, bogusbandit56, homey666 and 3 others like this.
  11. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Did that on a 3S 2200 mah battery that remained 10 days in a lost glider.
    Slow careful charge as NiMh at 0.1 A, then Lipo slow charge at 0.2 A until storage voltage 3.8 V on all cells. Worked fine but next day one cell was already below 3.1 V, and total voltage had come down from 11,4 V to 8.5 V.

So your mileage may vary, check if your battery holds it's charge for a few days, and later also check on the ground if it's able to power a motor at half power for a reasonable amount of time before flying with it.

Cheers.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  12. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Messing around with smaller planes lately. This is the Long EZ from FT. Have to admit it's a lot of fun! I think I'll increase the pitch authority and add some expo all round. 2 hour build, tops, including a coat of water based Minwax.

Peter

e3_Scott, bogusbandit56, Lgel and 3 others like this.
  13. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

It`s a shame they didn`t design the fuselage thinner, but looks like a good fun plane to fly.

Lgel likes this.
  14. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Squeezed a couple of flights in between showers.

Peter

15. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

It would have been pretty cool flying through the rain bow.:cool:

Wildthing and homey666 like this.
  16. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

I was going to but I came in too low and took out a leprechaun! ******* didn't even have any gold on him!

jimbosflyin and bogusbandit56 like this.
  17. Bobfrog

Bobfrog Airman

First flight of a very simple DTF delta. About as simple as I could make it. KF2 airfoil, 2 servos, the motor was an old Himax 1050kv I had laying around. Flew very nicely for such a simple layout. IMG_2692.JPG

Lgel, Grantman, jimbosflyin and 4 others like this.
  18. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

No motion pictures Bob?
    Nice build and loverly paint:)

jimbosflyin likes this.
  19. Bobfrog

Bobfrog Airman

BB56

I wasn't going to post the video since it was not very clear. Very cloudy day near the ocean and contrast and light were not good.

After the initial flight I adjusted the throws and added some expo and it became quite docile. For such a simple build it really flew quite well. Loops and quick rolls were no problem. It will be fun to explore the limits and if it crashes it will be easy to fix. Two sheets of DTF and some parts out of the bin and a good flyer happens.

Lgel, bogusbandit56 and Wildthing like this.
  20. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

I'm not even going to say it.

Attached Files:

bogusbandit56 and Wildthing like this.