WHAT DID YOU FLY TODAY???

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by SONICFOAM, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Amazing flying, love the dive down the side of the silos.

Lgel, malukk and notamedclosed like this.
  2. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Finally got out flying today for a first time in weeks, despite the wind being horrible! Had spent a couple of hours painting the rebuilt/repaired/strengthened HobbyKing Hawk this morning doing a very quick and dirty Red Arrow scheme so wanted to take that out for play and a few others too...

First up was a test of the new wire undercarriage I made up with the 3D printed mounts on my little F-35 "Dave".
    Worked really well despite having no direction control on the ground at all and relying on the wind to sort it all out but a success non the less :)
    Impressed at the lack of crash though as I had telemetry warnings all through the flight and put it down to using a cheap clone FrSky receiver. Turns out I'd actually knocked one of the antenna wires off the receiver! Plugged it back in OK but one to look out for in future..

Despite the wind not dropping I decided to take the HobbyKing T45 up. First of all though I picked the wrong battery up and had no charge so it was a quick circuit back into land and swap for one that had actually been charged!
    Typically the winds got up quite a bit when I came in to land and the gusts were causing all hell to break loose! Despite cross controlling with the rudder and ailerons to keep it straight along the runway as best I could the strong gusts just took over and I nearly lost it just before "slamming" down. It was far too hard to call it a "touch" down anyway!

All good though and the plane seems to handle just as well as it used to, just looks a lot nicer now after a quick airbrush job this morning!

Then the battery went on the camera! But I took the Gotha P.60 up for a half flight when (I assume) the motor mount gave up and I ended up losing all control and shooting the motor off somewhere into the field never to be seen again. Need to do a bit of an autopsy to see if the air frame's salvageable but it took a good hit when it went in that's for sure!

Managed to get a flight with the little HobbyKing PrimeJet Pro though with my new camera mount I made up for it. Didn't come out too bad but I think it might need a little down angle adding into the mount to help it look at the ground a bit more.

Finished up with another flight with "Dave" but the wind speed was just too much for it and it mostly ended up hovering into the wind then running away when I turned :D

All in all though a good afternoon's flight followed by a walk around the whole airfield taking photos :)

3. dangermouse650

dangermouse650 Ace Pilot

2 beautiful spring days here so i called time off from work and got in a few flights, over 2 months since touching a plane.
    IMG_20180823_183436_444.jpg
    All the planes i wrecked on my last outing months ago are still sitting on the floor waiting...... might get to them by autumn.... :)
    Blue skies and happy flights

4. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Impressive air force!
    Some of them are really very realistic looking.
    Cheers.

Wildthing and Sterling101 like this.
  5. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Thermaled my EZglider at the club, in a strange combination of 4 Bf at ground level, and strong thermal activity under clouds at high altitude.
    Remained airborne half an hour.
    Cheers.

Sterling101 and bogusbandit56 like this.
  6. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

7. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Sterling101, Wildthing and Lgel like this.
  8. Beautiful looking planes...

Newt, Sterling101 and Wildthing like this.
  9. Newt

Newt Administrator

Got a chance to fly "Honey" today. Perfect conditions.
    TopFlite P-51 w/ DLE 20[​IMG]

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

andy_downs, Lgel, homey666 and 5 others like this.
  10. Nice looking plane. :)

11. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Serious stuff here!
    Cheers.

andy_downs, Newt and Wildthing like this.
  12. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Hi all,

Took the Homey 2 out for a rip this evening!

Peter

13. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

She is a sweet flyer!
    Cheers.

homey666 likes this.
  14. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Great job Homes!
    It`s got rather interesting airfoil sections:D But it does fly very well.

homey666 likes this.
  15. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

A couple of really enjoyable flights late afternoon.

Peter

Newt, Wildthing, jimbosflyin and 2 others like this.
  16. quorneng

quorneng Ace Pilot

I flew this today.
    21Apr18.JPG
    A Cessna O-2 Skymaster (Vietnam special night ops) scratch built in Depron. Light and powerful. 52" span.
    No U/C to save weight so it has to be hand launched & belly land, which it does easily. The front motor can be switched off in flight.
    Today it was very calm so I tried for a maximum duration flight, flying on one, apart from the actual launch, and keeping close to the stall so the front prop did not windmill. Took its 2200 mAh 3s right down to LVC.
    Rather boring but it gave a flight time of 50 minutes 46 seconds.

edit
    To protect the battery after the fligth I first balance charged to storage level. It took 796 mAh and over 2 hours.:eek: Out of curiosity I then balance charged to 'full' which is what is was for the flight. It took a further 985 mAh.
    This suggests the flight only used 1781 mAh which gives an average current of 2.1A or just under 1C!
    I suspect if the battery had been new, rather than over 1 year old, the Cessna might have flown for the full hour.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    andy_downs, Newt, Lgel and 5 others like this.
  17. Th
    That's a heck of a long flight.

Newt likes this.
  18. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Love my wings!

Peter

19. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Had these two speedsters at the field today, shot some footage of the T-50 V5 on 4S :)
    20180823_090049.jpg

Cheers,

Scott

20. sirskyhi

sirskyhi Ace Pilot

Me and my T-50 v2. We had a great time untll the wind caught her and placed on the the roof a local elementary school. I hope to get he back on Monday, but I'm guessing the battery will be shot, it was running when she crashed. Oh well.
    Me and t-50.jpg

Lgel, e3_Scott, andy_downs and 3 others like this.