WHAT DID YOU FLY TODAY???

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by SONICFOAM, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Maiden flight for my Windrider Fox, after a single gliding test to check everything was ok, threw it on the slope by 3-4 beaufort.

Flew straight and up away, was very easy to fly, but had very little aileron authority (rolls were nearly impossible), same as my ST FOX before increasing aileron travel.

I was bothered by how I would land due to the lack of manoeuvrability, but with trimming I improved flight speed, thus increasing aileron response, and found how to diminish turning circle stalling her lightly by pulling on elevator once banked (I had chosen to build her without rudder to have a real low lift special).

Wind increased, but this very light build (400g) would accelerate briskly when diving slightly, or using reflex on ailerons (had two positions, the second with more reflex coupled with down elevator), so no risk of being blown back (She would cruise the bay in no time).

As I didn't know the fuel efficiency of my airframe, I landed precisely after an hour flight.
    Checked at home, 125 mah used out of my home made 750 mah, so I suppose I can go to my standard 90 mn flights without problems (only 3 servos and receiver).

As a new kid in the block, she attracted much attention from a dozen young seagulls (not yet white feathered), but no aggression, their curiosity satisfied, they flew away. I believe my different gliders once known by the local birds as no threat to them or their food are just ignored.

Windrider Fox.jpg
    Cheers.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    Newt, bogusbandit56 and Wildthing like this.
  2. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Sloped her again in low lift, this time with more throws on ailerons, and a more rearward CG. She flew perfectly and elegantly, roll, fly inverted, turn inverted, loop, etc.

Dark clouds crossed the bay and lift under them allowed to gain height very quickly, allowing vertical manoeuvrers without fear.

Conclusion, this gilder is a pleasure to pilot, at 400g she weighs nearly a third of my Phoenix 1600 for the same wingspan, and still flies much faster (low drag wings).

210 mah drawn for a 90 mn flight.

Not a new model, but still top flyer.

Cheers.

Newt, bogusbandit56 and Wildthing like this.
  3. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Was able to get out in the insane forest fire smoke this evening with my asthmatic lungs and burning eyes!
    Wilga 2000 was beautiful. FT Mini Arrow was great (could fly it with my eyes closed and basically did because of the smoke)lol. Then I made a rookie mistake...... I selected Homey 3 on my radio to fly Homey 2. What a hammer! Could not pull out of a loop because I usually fly Homey 2 and all my wings without expo. Oh well, it's only about 2 bucks in foam!

Peter
    20180814_194839.jpg

Wildthing and notamedclosed like this.
  4. notamedclosed

notamedclosed Ace Pilot

Out at the farm...what a blast. Been windy so I've barely flown the fixed wings. Enjoying how locked in and overall stable a quad is, even when it's windy.

5. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Great flying. Very cool. Loved when you flew between the combine and the truck!

Peter

notamedclosed likes this.
  6. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Those fires are really a nuisance, hope you didn't inhale too much smoke.
    Sorry sight that of Homey2!

Did you move your receiver from one wing to the other or has each wing her own receiver?
    Cheers.

Wildthing likes this.
  7. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Each wing has it's own receiver. I just selected the wrong model on the radio!

Peter

Wildthing likes this.
  8. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

On my radio (DX7) that is impossible, each model's parameter are bound to a single receiver. Meaning that if you try flying Homey 2 with Homey 3 settings on the radio, Homey 2 won't respond to any input from the radio.

Can't you program your radio this way?

Cheers.

homey666 and Wildthing like this.
  9. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

jimbosflyin, homey666 and Wildthing like this.
  10. That sucks
    The smoke has moved in over here again too.

jimbosflyin, Lgel and homey666 like this.
  11. Only 1 battery and 1 flight today so far. PI F15 Silent Eagle Maiden Flight. 1st toss it did get a little thump, needed more pitch and moved the battery back about 1/2" , 2nd toss much better. 1st toss just gave it a round little nose but really no damage. Flies really nice, my snag is I only have 1 1800 3S battery which balances this guy really nice so quick multiple runs aren't going to happen. Now to tune down the roll a bit and then increase the throws for pitch, I am maxed out on the dr for elevators so will need to change my servo arms.

12. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Very nice and scale looking fighter, flies nicely, congrats!

Cheers.

Wildthing likes this.
  13. Did some combat fighting last night well with the smoke holy crap was it easy to lose perspective of the plane. 30 feet away you could barely see contrasting colors, they were just grey blurrs, multiple times just about drilled it. The only saving grace is that the Baron's are super fast reacting. Came home with a kill and all planes intact.

notamedclosed, Lgel and homey666 like this.
  14. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Beauty, baby!

Wildthing likes this.
  15. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Sloped the Vagabond XL in medium wind, aerobatics are just so easy with this one!.
    Cheers

. Vagabond XL.jpg

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    bogusbandit56, homey666 and Wildthing like this.
  16. My flying squadron today minus the balsa gasser Messersmidt, it on take off veered to the right a bit and the wing clipped a cage, it is now firewood. ;)

2018_0816_141900_001.JPG

17. Sorry as usual all unedited videos.

The new proto type PI F15 Silent Eagle, My Avro Arrow and Corsair design and the PI P40 and PI PAK FA T50

1st time in a long time that I had the time or weather to load up a 1/2 dozen planes and go flying.

18. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

I like the 15 for looks, but that Pak Fa gets me every time. That baby rips! Love it.

Peter

Wildthing likes this.
  19. Ditto, no matter how many times I crash it there will always be on shelf ready to go.

homey666 likes this.
  20. notamedclosed

notamedclosed Ace Pilot

Took this one out for the maiden. Didn’t quite go smoothly but at least it’s all in one piece. An iNAV build with FPV/OSD so lots of added complexity. It’s a modified X-Raycer with landing gear and an extended front section better setup for FPV.

4082D4AD-07CE-4C7E-8BB1-29D93F4ADEC6.jpeg

Anyway having lots of fun out on the farm.

2F99358A-52F8-4732-AF06-FB9D9B576132.jpeg