WHAT DID YOU FLY TODAY???

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by SONICFOAM, Nov 20, 2010.

1. quorneng

quorneng Ace Pilot

The UK is having a long period of pretty settled weather so I took the opportunity to fly the rather bizarre Handley Page HP115 Avatar1.jpg Just like the original it has a sharp leading edge and a true symmetrical "supersonic" wing section.
    Flown hand launch/belly land although the original had fixed U/C!
    Flies well enough but with such a 'narrow' (72 degrees!) delta it is not particularly efficient in fact it requires an almost constant level of power at any speed meaning there is little 'left over' for climbing! ;)

2. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Gppd to hear, Wilsonair, and that's a great looking plane! I do believe the F15 has the best all around performance- maneuverable like a mig, stable like an F35. The elevon only performance is good but the F15 ia also one of those planes that works really well with the elevons and ailerons linked on the same servo. Give it a shot! I have ailerons moving half as much as the elevons so they don't effect airflow to the elevons. Thanks for building and flying the FRC F15!

Lgel, bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  3. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Slope soared my Wicked Wing (Windrider Bee 2) in some fresh air, if the abundant lift was not enough, menacing storm clouds appeared, transforming the site in a missile launchpad.

What a glider she is, had great fun after some quiet days.

Cheers.

Wildthing and Newt like this.
  4. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

IMG_20180808_091849.jpg REC_0001_Moment_Moment.jpg Found a corner to fly my FRCFoamies SU-37MK2 mid prop slow and low flying to take the edge off untill they harvest the soybeans,up to my knee now when if I try to walk in.I forgot what I was able to do with this plane in small spaces with throttle controle.:)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Lgel and Wildthing like this.
  5. Newt

Newt Administrator

Nothing quite like slope on a good day!

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Lgel likes this.
  6. quorneng

quorneng Ace Pilot

Probably guilty of showing off but the HP 115 really demonstrates ground effect which is not that surprising with its long delta plan form and no undercarriage. It really does 'trap the air' under it just before touch down.
    The result, if you get it just right, is a true zero length 'flop' landing.
    Using the last of the light (20:30 hrs!) this evening I managed to video such a landing.
    To be honest it did take a few attempts. ;)

Lgel, notamedclosed, FED50H and 2 others like this.
  7. Well yesterday a couple flights with the Avro Arrow, 1st landing was a little harsh, it flares up really easy but all in all it's flying good. With the tv turned on it is really easy to do high alpha, once I get my thumbs going I will have to play with it a little more.

Also did some combat fighting, came home with a 1/4 wing missing , bent shaft but I did get 2 kills. having two spares on hand came in handy ;) . Started off with only 3 of us and got up to five people so still fun but it is really fun when there are 10 plus people.

Sorry about camera angle, dang it.

8. JTiger

JTiger Airman

Maidened my T-50v1 today; almost had a heart attack when I launched it. Made one of those stupid errors and had the ailerons reversed. Fortunately I managed to land with only a cracked LEVCON. A piece of tape and a few minutes later I took it up for flight #2. With a 2200 3s battery this plane rockets around! After 5-ish minutes I came in for an accidental emergency landing... upside down. Turns out my right servo (Hextronik MG-14) jammed with the elevon and aileron full down (see picture) Once again I was lucky and only one of my v-stabs came off WITHOUT damaging any of the foam. I can just glue it right back on :D

1533862671281488143321.jpg

9. Nothing like making you think fast and in reverse. :)

JTiger and malukk like this.
  10. JTiger

JTiger Airman

No kidding

Wildthing likes this.
  11. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

You finally managed to tame your Avro, congrats.
    Cheers.

Wildthing likes this.
  12. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Splendid build and livery for your SU37 MKII.

Cheers.

Wildthing and jimbosflyin like this.
  13. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

It`s easy to get a little over excited when you finish a build and want to get out and fly.
    Checking the control surfaces is just as important as getting the C of G correct, but these steps tend to get rushed and most accidents happen this way.
    It`s always a good policy to set 1 hour aside in your flight schedule to go over these important steps three times along with checking the correct motor rotation along with prop installation:).

JTiger, Wildthing and Lgel like this.
  14. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

Are you keeping track of expenses? Didn't mind foam hits, but after a hit of enemy's prop that took out 1300ma battery, $65 rx, $45 ESC and bent motor shaft, decided that was enough fun.

bogusbandit56 likes this.
  15. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

You spend too much on expensive gear. You should use a Flysky i6 and cheap 7 dollar esc`s for combat, the flysky receivers are only about 7 bucks:)

Lgel and notamedclosed like this.
  16. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Fly combat wing gliders, you avoid, ESC, motor, prop, and battery cost (small one for receiver).
    If you have no slope, bring a fan (powered by human cycling to improve his health and reduce fat).
    Cheers.

Wildthing, bogusbandit56 and homey666 like this.
  17. Not a clue and don't care. :)

18. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I suppose flying is dirt cheap compared to racing stock cars:)
    What are we looking at? tires 100 bucks a pop per race and they do go pop.
    Engine rebuilds, fuel, beer for the pit crew, it all adds up to be very expensive.
    I bet you could have retired by now if you had taken up model planes instead of cars.:)

Sterling101 and Wildthing like this.
  19. 600 for a set of tires, local races non special event ones about 600 each race. You were able to run those tires more then once. Special event 2000 in town, out of town another story. All good though, glad to have been able to do it, I still could but I don't want all the work involved with it.

PS, I am somewhat retired

20. Oh, I should add that is without any damage or blowing something up. 2010 1st test session of the year and the engine popped 4 laps into the 1st warm up session, 10 grand later and racing next week. ;)

But, all those stickers you see on the car are sponsors and they helped pay for my hobby.

Sterling101, Lgel and bogusbandit56 like this.
  21. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Flew my repaired EZglider 3 (she had been lost for 10 days), had to trim her again, but she flies well again. My EZglider 4 went back to her box (here the rear removable feathers were a real bonus), she will wait for a new occasion to fly.

Cheers.