WHAT DID YOU FLY TODAY???

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by SONICFOAM, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Before i stacked it passing by the sun my ft spitfire was lovely to fly. Definitely better as a hand launch plane though but such a sublime flying aircraft with literally no vices.
    I'd say if you were looking for a first warbird, it's the ideal plane. Only thing I'd do is move the elevator servo to the front as it becomes very tail heavy after paint and every little helps with getting the balance right!

2. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

A lady found the EZglider I lost 8 days ago in her garden about 900 m downwind from the club!

She asked around in the neighbouring, and presented herself to the club yesterday, and we agreed to meet next day. Interestingly, she didn't see my phone number on the top of the wings, and the thanks message I put on all my planes.

I got back the glider slightly damaged (easy repair), and gave her a bottle of vintage cava (local sparkling wine very appreciated by Catalans) to thank her for all her troubles.

Cheers.

3. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

What a fantastic story. Very cool that she made the effort to find the owner.

Peter

4. FED50H

FED50H Administrator

5. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

I found that one of the two antennas of the AR610 (the longer) receptor in my EZglider was broken. I was suspecting that she began to fail before that incident, explaining many loss of control when flying far away. I did many range checks on the ground without detecting the problem (one antenna was still working), but didn't check making a full circle around the plane (a circle of 30 m radius needs space).

The probable cause of the broken antenna is that the space in the EZ cockpit is very cramped, and I had to remove receptor each time to put and remove the battery straining the antenna fixed with tape to the fuse. I was aware of a potential problem and I tried to protect the antennas with tubing at the exit of receptor without success (there is a bulge on the cable of the longer antenna).

I don't know if I will find a spare antenna to replace the broken one, made searches without success.

Cheers.

6. quorneng

quorneng Ace Pilot

Nice weather again yesterday (Sunday). A bit gusty in the morning so I flew the 'printed fuselage' 52" (1.32 m) span scratch built pod and boom pusher as it has sufficient weight and power to handle moderate turbulence.
    Complete2.JPG
    Built more as an experiment in 3D printing (fuselage and wing ribs) it is nevertheless aerodynamically more efficient than it might look and floats about in majestic style, power on or off.
    It has over 500 W (measured) available, giving unlimited vertical :D, but on the other hand it can maintain height using no more than 50 so the 25 minute flight yesterday morning used just half the capacity of its 3000 mAh 3s battery. :)

7. I have successfully repaired a couple antennas, a little tricky stripping that miniature coax cable properly but it worked.

8. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Interested, a friend did the same with Futaba receptors with antennas found on E-bay but the AR610 has a special device along the cable, don't now what it is, nor it's purpose.

Did you repair a broken antenna, or installed a new one?

Thanks and cheers.
    AR610.jpg

9. Repaired a broken one when the cable got cut.

bimoadiprakoso and Sterling101 like this.
  10. One I broke near the RX and had to trim and solder it back on and the other was at the copper tube or end of it. The video gave me length of how long I needed to extend beyond the tube with the inner wire.

11. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Thanks.

12. This was another good article on fixing antennas. The link to banggood for replacement antennas still works, even though they didn't fit mine per say I bought then for the coax cable.

https://oscarliang.com/repair-2-4ghz-antenna-rx/

13. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

Well,I had one of my SU-30SM's out this morning and the soybeans are so high that when I have to land it in the middle of even with a nice slow float landing they do some damage and I'm really not able to walk in to them easally to retreave it .So I think I'm done flying untill harvest which isn't untill november.

bimoadiprakoso, homey666 and Lgel like this.
  14. notamedclosed

notamedclosed Ace Pilot

Got a new toy after the demise of my 3 inch quad. An Emax Hawk 5:
    20180805_082135.jpg

Lots of fun testing it out and flying the rest of my birds Sunday.
    20180805_082151.jpg

After some gentle practice runs and just figuring out how it flies a little, I had to really test it out by chasing a club members EDF. My little 3 inch quad had a hard time keeping up with the faster planes. The Emax Hawk 5 can hit 100+ mph so no issues there :D

15. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

I'm glad I seen this,I have a Futaba receiver that both antennas broke off that I need to repair.

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  16. It would be easy if mine just clipped in but they are soldered in.

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  17. Well 1 quick flight today with the Avro Arrow after being rebuilt and a new rx installed. 80% successful, the motors cut out twice, backed off the throttle for a couple seconds and they powered back up so now she will get a external bec. I should know better with these esc's because they did the same thing on another twin setup and the external bec to care of it. The tiny little quad motors with 5" props did pretty good considering how big the plane is. Going to bump them up a bit, couple Turnigy 2826 2200kv motors along with 6X4 APC props are now installed.

18. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

So are mine,but after reversing a servo it should be a peice of cake.No gears to have to get in place before you close it up.And does anybody know how to get the bar with the emoji and different types of lettering on it ? mines missing all of a sudden.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  19. It's just stripping the wires that are fun, the outside shield and the inside wire are within 1/4" of each other where they are soldered and of course the can't touch. ;)

20. wilsonair

wilsonair Cadet

Just wanted to let F1wanabe know that the FRCF15 MK2 with elevons only flew like a dream tonight. What a joy to fly, and the members at the flying field thought the jet looked great in the air. 20180307_161425.jpg