WHAT DID YOU FLY TODAY???

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by SONICFOAM, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Wind is something we must live with, some flying fields are criminal with very little wind.

Knowing your flying field is important, depending on wind direction, where are obstacles like trees or houses generating turbulences far downwind, avoid these places for flying and landing even if they seem to shelter you from wind, choose the middle of your flying field (or the place where wind will be less perturbed) and use the wind to help your landing (always against direction of wind if possible, reduces your ground speed). Don't try to hover on landing against wind with nose up, take a decided descent path with sufficient speed and wait until the last moment to reduce speed and flare.

With wind your airframe is rocked, loosing aero efficiency, so keep speed up always, even when your plane seems to go away from you at a crazy speed.

Before take off plan where and how you will land, for every wind direction, define beforehand a safe descent path that you'll always repeat and improve with experience, don't improvise your landing. Just before landing check once more if wind direction has not changed.

From you video your plane seems to be a little tail heavy, your stalls are caused by a nose up attitude.
    Could fly my F16 Mk II foamie parkjet in ridiculously high winds for her capacities without any stall tendency.

Cheers.

2. mastermalpass086

mastermalpass086 Ace Pilot

High-stakes high-reward by the sounds of it. Maybe when I'm a bit more experienced. ;)

Thanks LGel - from the past two flights I have definitely noticed a 'dangerzone' where the field dips before the hedgerow. Where flight characteristics change a lot, and if the plane is heading away from the field it gets difficult to turn it around. Will definitely gun it around that spot in future and allow wide turns rather than the 'Skateboarder-on-a-half-pipe' turns I've been doing lately.

As for the plane nosing up - that's me. I'm new to rudders and still getting used to not needing to pull back on the stick so much when I turn haha!

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  3. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Flew my ASW 28 in some wind at the club, the airframe was visibly flexing, introducing sudden variations of flight path.

A friend was flying his EZglider without any problem, the comparison was pitiful.

All my other gliders, some of them twice lighter, fly perfectly in much stronger winds.

Landed and gave her at a member of the club who owns one (he will have spare parts).

Sorry, lesson learned, she is not my cup of tea, life is too short to fly a plane you dislike.

Cheers.

4. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

When your plane flies away from you downwind, you'll always have the impression she doesn't want to turn (even if strongly banked).

Your plane moves relatively to the air, but the air is also moving, so a tight turn in the air downwind isn't a tight turn for the fixed observer (the pilot).

Cheers.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  5. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

That's how I got so good at repairs.:rolleyes:

6. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Completely agree! I don't know how many times I kept trying to fly a plane I can't fly and just getting discouraged! I still do it sometimes, but I usually realize more quickly!

Peter

bimoadiprakoso, Wildthing and Lgel like this.
  7. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

flew the PI su30 twin today on 4s,great fun.

8. Nothing like the sound of twins :).

Finally I had a day off inbetween jobs and charged up batteries yesterday to go do some flying, not happening, wind is hovering around 50kph. :(

bimoadiprakoso, jimbosflyin and Lgel like this.
  9. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

nice sunny day luckerly the wind didn't pick up to much as it was slightly cross wind which made launching fun at times.

10. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Ventured out late this afternoon with the BAE Taranis, big Vulcan, Dave (F35) and the Hobbyking T45.

Winds were a bit choppy and was a lovely cross wind across the runway so ruled out the Vulcan on the grounds of I didn't fancy stacking it :D

Took the T45 up and it wasn't bad, got a bit thrown around by the gusts but flew fine. Then flew the Taranis for the first time in a while and I'd forgotten just how nice that thing is to fly. Very predictable and quite aerobatic. Also pretty much lands itself regardless of the cross wind and that's without a rudder!
    Popped a battery in Dave and tore the sky up with it for 5 minutes until my ears couldn't take the noise any more :)

Then tore the inner verticals off the Taranis and went for another flight - and it flew brilliantly! Actually slightly better with the cross winds due to having less vertical area to be blown around.
    So, the T45 had another outing. Take off was fine, just a bit of rudder to counter the wind and headed into a circuit. On the second upwind leg though it flipped over and went into a flat spin. Tried all I could to pull it out but had no joy so cut the throttle and let it come in upside down into the (freshly) harvested crop.
    Reasonable levels of damage basically the front fell off - but it's repairable!
    Small general repairs required to the tail and some considerable gorilla glue to bond the nose back onto the fuselage and I think it'll fly again!
    I've checked the data log from the transmitter and it definitely didn't lose signal at all. Only thing I can think of it was either a servo crapped out or something similar to that. Although when I arrived at the scene of the crash everything was still working??

Bit more autopsy required once it's back together but there's a chance the wing mount gave up as it's just a piece of ply that slotted into the foam at the back of the fuselage and there's a chunk of that slot lifted up. Would certainly explain a bit anyway!

11. notamedclosed

notamedclosed Ace Pilot

Maiden of the 3d Printed GASB Two modified for landing gear.

Gasb2.jpg

20180723_100050.jpg

Flight went ok. It's my first EDF so wasn't quite sure what to expect. It seemed pretty stable. Too stable as I had way too much expo in so my controls felt kind of mushy. I'll have to turn it down for next flight. Came in to land pretty early as I wasn't sure how the battery would last. Missed the runway and bent the nose gear wire. When I tried to bend it back it snapped so I'll have to replace it. Overall pretty neat plane.

20180723_100635.jpg

12. mastermalpass086

Set out for an evening flight. A dog walker arrived before I could take off, so I stood by until she cleared... Slowest. Walker. Ever. I took off about 15-20 minutes later than scheduled and the light was going. Zoomed up to try and catch the sunset but it was gone.

A dive too speedy for comfort followed by some dodgy flying told me I was struggling in this low-light and I decided to call it a night before I crashed again.

13. notamedclosed

notamedclosed Ace Pilot

unnamed (2).jpg

Tried out the GASB 2 again. Unfortunately my penchant for low altitude maneuvers came out to bite me as I failed to complete a loop in time.

unnamed (1).jpg

I would have liked to get a little more flying on this guy...though I've been bitten by the EDF bug now. Not sure if I'll reprint it or make a foam EDF with the parts.

Brought the venerable SU-27 V5 out to play as well. What a fantastic plane. Always a blast especially when running on my 1300 mah 3S. The lighter weight (over my usual 1800 mah) makes for such a fun plane to fly.

Also took the Z-84 out. This is just a raw video of my flight. So this is what it looks like when I just buzz around trying to find other planes to chase.

14. mastermalpass086

That was an impressive show with the Su-27, where did you learn to fly like that?! :D Not sure about that pop-off nose-cone though. My SU-34 has had a few crashes, and the worst damage happens when the nose pops off and doesn't take the hit - when the nose is properly fastened it seems to absorb 100% of the impact.

What are EDFs like to fly? My Dad is planning to have an FT Viggen as his first, and I originally got him an EDF for it, but I'm wondering if it would be better to fit it with a prop first and break him in on that.

15. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

EDF's aren't any more difficult to fly than a prop-in-slot but they take a different approach to get them flying nicely.

With a prop you sort of get instant punch right from the off but with an EDF they perform better once some air is already running through them so hand launches can be a little awkward. However once you get them up and if you have the right fan they can be great to fly. Not to mention with a high blade count fan the sound is fantastic!
    Here's my big Vulcan running two 70mm 12 blade fans on 4S - excuse the lack of zoom on the camera but it's just a go-pro on my head! Gives you some impression of the performance and sound though. The Vulcan is 68" span and weighs nearly 4.5kg so it's not tiny by any stretch of the imagination.

16. notamedclosed

notamedclosed Ace Pilot

The SU-27 basically flies like that on it's own :p. No skill required...

Yeah, the nose...never sure about it...but my other RC powers planes eventually start looking like Gonzo, so the pop-off nose is doing something at least.

Plus you can just fly with the nose off if you want to :D

A few spots in that video where it has no nose (like around 2:05).

EDF's just sound cool...and of course they are great with speed. Unfortunately I only got 3 flights in before wrecking the GASB 2 so I'll have to try again to get a better feel for it. The GASB was really limited on battery size so I think going a little bigger battery would be better.

17. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Your Vulcan has an astounding power, she takes off very quickly, and you reduce thrust very soon before your climb is over.

Superb realisation.

Cheers.

18. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Lost my EZglider flying at the club this morning.

We were all flying downwind to avoid sun glare. Early in the morning the thermals I was searching are high enough, I shared high altitude with a 3,5 ws high performance wood glider I didn't want to collide with (her big wingspan made judging relative distance with my 1,8 m EZ difficult), leaving lower airspace to airplanes.

My EZ was thermaling high enough to be difficult to follow, I lost altitude gradually downwind and when I tried to bring her back gliding (should have switched motor on immediately), I realized too late that low and far as she was now, it was quite difficult to judge her orientation, after two or three turns and tentative climbs with power (her very sharp tuning of CG made her very good at gliding, but not longer easy to fly without a clear sight of her movements), she disappeared from my sight below trees on a small hill.

Pilot error, over confidence in my capacities, bad decisions taken, searched for her to no avail.
    Had many times a lot of luck with my gliders, I knew someday it would end.

Cheers.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  19. That sucks, sorry about your loss.

bimoadiprakoso and Lgel like this.
  20. Well finally a break from work and wind. Took out the Avro Arrow, the old gasser messersmidt FW190 converted to electric and 2 new spare combat planes.

Arrow took off and looked great and then the motors cut out and did a nose plant, Either needs an external BEC or my rx failed, whether it was the time-lapse or as I walked closer everything started to work again. Either way it now requires a major nose job.

The Messersmidt broke a wheel off on launch so need to rig up some different landing gear along with a tail dragger wheel. It was hard to taxi it in a straight line but it is still in one piece .

2 new spare combat planes are now trimmed in and ready for battle. :)