WHAT DID YOU FLY TODAY???

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by SONICFOAM, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Nipped out this afternoon/evening for a few flights with the Vulcan but sadly the gusts were just too random and violent to risk it so I threw an old HobbyKing/SkyAngel F-35 in the air that I'd been given a few weeks ago that was bought at a swap meet with a squashed nose and signs of being hellishly nose heavy. Did a bit of digging and cutting of foam and managed to get the balance right with a 1000mah 3S Graphene battery.
    Flew it a few times to dial it in and set the throws up the other weekend but this was it's first real test in gusty conditions and although challenging it wasn't too bad. It actually flies rather well for a cheap and previously crashed 50mm edf foamie - it's just a complete noise maker though!
    It's nickname is Dave though - after the full size F35 that the UK has just taken delivery of. It stands for Delayed And Very Expensive :D

Also spent four batteries playing with the HobbyKing Hawk that I still haven't re-painted (or finished my big 6S Hawk yet either!) to try and get the landings right as it really does seem to cause me some grief getting the speed and decent rate just right. Many many touch and goes later and this was the last flight of the day...

So although the Vulcan didn't get an outing it wasn't a bad day flying after all, even though it was touching 30 degrees C for most of it!

2. mastermalpass086

mastermalpass086 Ace Pilot

Not long after getting back from the Su-34 flight, I open a parcel and present my Dad with a belated Father's day gift - a Hubsan X4 H107C just like mine. He loves the idea of shooting immaculate vistas from an expensive drone, but his flying experience consists of a few minutes with a Pico Z ten years ago. - not an ideal pilot for something costing several hundred pounds if you ask me.

I figure it'd be best for him to rack up some flight hours on a cheap robust quad that's fun to fly and difficult to break. This is his first flight, having me as his tutor - and he now feels confident to carry on learning by himself. Hopefully he grows into a rather capable rotor-wing pilot. :)

3. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

still flying my PI SU30 twin,its the only plane that gets a look in.still plucking up courage to go 4s in it.

4. Go for it, nobody loves a chicken. :D :D

bimoadiprakoso and Sterling101 like this.
  5. mastermalpass086

Yesterday evening I took the Su-34 out and utilized its four-blader prop to zoom-climb up to where the sun was still shining and captured some pretty shots above my village. The new active rudders are also proving invaluable in avoiding the Angry farmer's airspace, especially where doing that means I can't easily do a straight approach anymore but the plane is now capable of a safe 'spiral' approach.

It's nice to not crash at last. I'm already regaining confidence, and feel like I'm going to learn a lot of additional skills from this one plane by these two simple modifications! :D

6. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

Dragged out GNU-2 and got it running so that elevons, 2 dimensional thrust vectoring and elevator canards are working. Forgot how impressive it handles when TV and canards are combined to flip and do stall turns.

Then doing very high alpha, the thrusters really keep the wings level from rotating due to air flow from chamber exiting out at the end of the wing. This really comes to play when you go into tip stalling. It stops it from rocking..

I like to fly in high alpha mode to keep the speed down and that really keeps the error margin low. Model was made in July of 2011. Usually pull it out once every 4-5- months to change style of flying.

Hollow carbon tubing is located on leading edge of black tape. Inside the chamber, tube goes up to trailing edge of blades to give max flow of air. I call it thrusters

Mode1-just dual set of elevons.
    2- elevons plus thrust vectoring.
    3-elevons, TV and movable canards.

P1010008.JPG

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  7. mastermalpass086

Yesterday my Dad and I went out to fly the Hubsan 107Cs again, and I thought I'd try flying mine in 'Expert Mode'. But I spent most of the flight flying slow and steady to catch my Dad's drone in the shot. So today I thought I'd put the drone through its paces.

I would say this 'Expert' mode was more of a high rates mode. Pitch and Roll is still tied to the position of the stick and the quad still auto-levels when you release it. Flips are something you can tell the quad to do, but you're not doing them yourself. So it's not really a racing drone. But I would recommend it as a cheap introduction to fast-flying quads, if you wanted to go down that route.

8. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Flew my ASW 28 at the club, she flies now controllably and my crow settings allow for smooth landings, but even with 100 g less than stock she is quite a poor glider (much worse than a Phoenix 1600). Tried with a really rearward CG, but she still needs too much elevator compensation, will try again tomorrow with a different value of incidence for horizontal stab, but an other member of the club who owns also one, thinks the same.

Flew also my Phoenix 1600 on the slope, she is in her third year of active slope soaring, and has seen my debuts as a slope flyer, a few crashes, and many hazardous landings on the hard slope (not helped at all by my inexperience). I use more elastic bands when I fly her, wings dislodge if laterally solicited, greatly reducing possible damages.

She displays proudly hers battle scars, and flies as new, in fact much better.

Today she thermaled even with full landing brakes on (both aileron up and a down elevator trim which gives a 30 º descending slope on normal glide).

Cheers. Phoenix 1600 Slope.jpg

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  9. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Flew this morning the ASW28 with a 1mm plywood plate under trailing edge of rear stab. This allows her to glide without any elevator trim up, as required for gliding efficiency, and confirms that CG location is also correct now.

Down side is that she climbs too much under power (difficult to control with elevator), so I will try to shim down the motor (no down angle at all stock which is very unusual on a glider).

Cheers.

10. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I have`nt been flying for quite some time because of the high temperatures but went out this evening with the Skywalker Falcon. Launching can be tricky:D

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  11. Bobfrog

Bobfrog Airman

I flew two maiden flights today with good results. The first is pictured below. DTF jet with edf power. First time designing and building an edf. Worked reasonable well but needs a little stiffening of the twin booms.
    The second maiden was an easy one, a new Phoenix 2000 sailplane. Flew gentle and nice as I expected.
    A good day flying. IMG_2556.JPG IMG_2412.JPG

12. mastermalpass086

I planned to familiarise myself with my new Rudders today. The wind didn't die down in the evening, but I thought I would give it a try anyway. Rudders were surprisingly easy to get used to on this plane, and proved invaluable in avoiding crashes and fighting wind.

Short recording of the flight as after a near-miss, I thought I had risked enough at my skill level for one evening. Annotations are there to explain flight characteristics to those not too fixed-wing-savvy on my facebook.

13. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Very nice!

Peter

14. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Hola,

Flew my FT Mini Arrow, Magnum Reloaded, Wilga 2000 and my own wing, Homey 2 (2 for second design and twin) It flies almost as well as BB's Gotha P.60! Very happy with this plus I love the sound of twins.....that's what she said.......lol.

Peter

15. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

You can be proud of your design, she flies very well.

Cheers.

16. FED50H

FED50H Administrator

17. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Many at the club have a Stick in their collection, they say they are their most fun to fly plane.
    Yours seems no exception.

Cheers.

18. mastermalpass086

On Tuesday I had another go at flying in the wind. I'm getting better at it, but it eventually resulted in a crumpled nosecone. Not to worry; Nosecone No. 6 has already been fitted to the plane. Hopefully the weather permits her to go up again tomorrow!

19. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

I seem to always have to high of a wind to fly in also and have to take my chances of a crash,I've been thinking of getting a stabalizer just so I can.They're only $20.00 and probably would cut crashes down a bit.:cool:

20. There is a reason why I like my over powered and over weight planes, buy if you do screw up it's usually a write-off. :D