WHAT DID YOU FLY TODAY???

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by SONICFOAM, Nov 20, 2010.

1. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Flew the Mini Arrow and got eaten alive. Drove back into town and found a breezy parking lot at the University to fly my Wilga.

Peter

e3_Scott, jimbosflyin, Lgel and 2 others like this.
  2. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Flew the Vagabond XL on the slope by 3.

Had worked to have separate channels for ailerons, and program snap flat (mix elevator flap), a thermal position with a little camber added, a landing options with reflex on both ailerons, variable settings for differential on ailerons selectable on a switch.

Slightly rearward CG by adding 10 g at the tail.

Snap flap worked well (kept more speed in turns) , and helped on inverted flight. May be my settings were excessive, shall try to reduce it a little.

Camber didn't work at all, even a little made the glider unstable.

Flew well for half an hour, aerobatics were fine, just found the plane slower than in my previous flights.

Then I flew over a no lift zone of the slope, even diving to gain speed I was obliged to land in an emergency, she was unable to progress against wind. Thought of pilot error, the wind was not exactly perfectly oriented, should have flied higher and faster there.

Launched again, maybe not strong enough, may be not downwards enough, may be too much up trim, she was blown over my head and crashed in a bush, loosing a horn.

So my "improvements" made the glider slower, I had flown in stronger winds without any problem before.

Found a thread in RCgroups, recommending reflex of ailerons to gain speed in stronger winds.

Cheers.

bogusbandit56 and Wildthing like this.
  3. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Sloped my Fox (pure glider), wind began as low 3, then 2, and ended as close to nothing, with no thermal activity (surprising with the heat).

Interesting flight, was difficult to remain in flight in such low lift conditions with a glider that likes to fly fast.

While flying in sink zones, you must refrain from what your instinct asks, pulling on the stick to try climbing, but on the contrary let your glider loose height keeping her speed (no stall, and travel faster to the next lift zone).

Cheers.

bogusbandit56 likes this.
  4. Kiko12

Kiko12 Ace Pilot

5. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Slope soared this afternoon with a friend from the club, he maidened a Phoenix 1600 (built as a pure glider), while I was flying the Fox.

There was very little lift to be found from the slope, so we flew mainly chasing thermals under storm clouds, the Phoenix even if heavier than the Fox (400 g more) and with a shorter wingspan, thermaled better in marginal conditions, but had a much slower glide.

We are used to fly together, we indicated lift zones to each other, circling in thermals in the same direction to avoid collisions.

Several times we sank towards the sea, and thought the flight was finished, but a patient search of lift, very close to the slope, allowed us to climb again, and get under the base of the clouds, surrounded by swallows (probably swifts) and gulls circling, where our gliders would rise strongly up to heights where they were difficult to spot.

He had brought camping chairs, and it was quite an improvement compared to my rocking chair, we landed when wind died, after nearly two hours in flight non stop, never bored due to the constantly evolving conditions of wind and lift zones.

Once more we had a great flying afternoon.

Cheers.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    Wildthing, Sterling101 and homey666 like this.
  6. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Had this trusty steed out for a good rip today comparing a couple of different props in the same plane on the same motor on 3S:)
    2018-06-22 09.38.32.jpg

Cheers,

Scott

7. Always great info Scott. Going to add to all your testing which can be a big part in performance (to a point) but the weight of the props, the less rotating mass especially on low hp motors will play a huge part in performance

bimoadiprakoso, Sterling101 and Lgel like this.
  8. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Following expert advice, I had made a rather drastic reparation to address my tail misalignment, took a hacksaw and sawed half the diameter of the fuse near the tail, made a 1mm cut, and glued again, thus reducing the incidence of the repaired rear stabilizer.

Flew my EZglider at the club this morning with more wind than needed for thermal chase from ground level, at least this glider flies at she should, easy flyer and confidence inspiring in 20 knts of wind.

Electric flaw that caused my crash seems solved (with a new ESC), no problem appearing in my two flights.

Will reinforce cut with a 3mm carbon strip, now that the tail has proved to be correctly set.

Cheers.

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  9. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Maiden flight of the ASW 28 from Lanyu, 2,6m ws electric glider, with moderate but changing wind.

A very experienced flyer and builder (but not expert with gliders) crashed twice his ASW 28 yesterday on his maiden just after launch, damaged a wing, and didn't succeed to fly at all, so I was rather careful and cautious.

Compared with his build I had removed pilot, and plywood battery tray to reduce the front bias of balance, removing 70g of weight in the nose. Even so the plane is heavy, 1,4 kg with a 2200 mah battery.

I had read several build logs and I had already balanced the CG aft of the marked position in the wings.

After careful pre-flight checks, I launched full throttle, and she climbed well and straight, so motor was powerful enough, good surprise.

I cut the motor, and things went ugly quickly, I was very lucky to land her in one piece.

Luckily I was assisted by a friend, who is a very experienced glider builder and flyer, we made several short flights, bringing back carefully the CG, trying to raise the incidence of elevator (didn't work), fine tuning aileron to rudder mix, trimming.

Transparent canopy broke after three or four careful removals.

The test flights, were a festival of near crashes, stalls, emergency landings in the nearby fields, only once did I manage landing on the strip.

At last she flew half decently, with the battery under wings, and 35 g of ballast in front.

The glider is superb to look at in flight, fast, but unforgiving, very unforgiving as soon as she slows a bit. Wing loading is heavy, probably too heavy.

Even at the last flight, when she was trimmed and CG deemed correctly positioned, I was unable to correct with rudder cross wind and landed of the track after a nasty stall.

Not recommended as a first glider, nor second, my aerobatic and even 3D gliders are much easier to fly, maybe fine tuning will improve her flight characteristics.

Was very lucky to bring her home in one piece.

Cheers.

P.S.

Revising plane at home, I found left aileron servo failed after a few moments connected, without any load -control rod disconnected- it barely moved.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  10. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

Took my P I F-16 C G2R out for a quick spin before it hits 95+. REC_0005_Moment.jpg

11. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Splendid pic!

Cheers.

12. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Sloped my Vagabond XL in some fresh air.
    Lot of lift allowed to regain easily height lost during aerobatics.

Reflex (on a switch) increases glide speed notably, as the ailerons run on all wing length you change considerably the profile of the wing, the amount of reflex must be moderate enough not to require additional up trim that would negate the gain in speed by creating drag.

Sea gulls when not mating are rather cool birds, they avoid in flight collisions by a minimal change of their flight path at the last moment.

Cheers.

13. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Flew my ASW 28 at the club, after replacing both wing servos by 12g metal servos, removing landing wheel, and all interior, weight has been reduced by a whopping 100g.

This time she flew well, no scares, and she behaved like a glider, must fine tune my crow settings.

The border between success and failure is thin in RC flight, in this case a faulty servo.

Cheers.

14. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Busy flight schedule this days, slope soared with a friend in some really fresh air, we had a blast for the best part of an hour and a half (impressive lift).

But we are not as sharp flyers as sea gulls, far from it, and even if we were careful not to circle in opposite directions, we experienced a mid air collision in front of us (both travelling in the same direction).

His Windrider Fox with shortened wings fell just in front of us, my modded ST Fox stood airborne, but the distraction or impact caused me to loose control, and she was blown over the top of the slope. I caught a brief glimpse of the glider spiralling out of control in the turbulence, and she disappeared toward the sea on the opposite slope.

I searched and found my Fox behind and old military tower, in a single piece, without even a dent (when you know the terrain, it was really unlikely).

His Fox had lost the tail (unglued), and part of the nose (both part having broken before this mishap), we found all the pieces, wings had suffered no damage, so a little glue and it will fly again as new.

We were very lucky.

Cheers.

15. notamedclosed

notamedclosed Ace Pilot

Yeehaw. Some FPV fun.

Also I can see my SU-27 V5 has some major flexing going on when I stuck a camera facing backwards. Probably explains why it gets a little wonky when the speed winds up. I guess MPF needs a little extra help.

16. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Sloped my Vagabond in 20 knts at sea level, launched with reflex on wings and kept it on for all flight.

After a moment of nice, but attention demanding flying, she was sucked up by a very strong thermal.

I had to use flaperons (both ailerons up) to bring her down quickly and safely before she disappeared high up (diving may cause your wings to fold or a loss of control).

Wind veered from south east to south (not good on my slope, lot of turbulence, lift zone over houses), and gained one strength, she was now hovering in front of me without progressing against a gusty wind.

Time to land.

Cheers.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  17. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

In tribute to American Independence Day, I had my red, white and blue F-22 V5 out today for some serious 4th of July "Raptor Rippin'":)
    2018-07-04 09.12.54.jpg
    I was honored to serve alongside members of the US military (primarily the USAF) for 23 yrs of my 29 yr Canadian Air Force career, mostly in the NORAD (North American Aerospace Defence) mission. For the last four years of my career, I actually lived in the US serving in a co-manning role at Tinker AFB in Oklahoma as a Mission Crew commander on the E-3 AWACS. Here is a picture of American air power at it's finest, an E-3 getting some gas while protected by an F-15E loaded to the teeth, both getting ready to "go downtown" and cause a little trouble for the bad guys.;)
    OIF_KC10_E3_15E3[1].jpg
    I could not have asked for greater camaraderie, support, hospitality and opportunity than provided me by my American hosts and as I mentioned, it was a true honor and a pleasure to serve alongside my American brothers and sisters in uniform over my career and I would do it over again in a heartbeat :)

Happy 4th of July to my American neighbors! :)

Cheers,

Scott

18. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Good times with the Gotha P.60 by Bogusbandit.

Peter

19. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Usually I never bring two planes to the club, but as the wind prevision was of more wind than needed for flat field soaring, I brought both the EZglider and the ASW 28.

I flew twice my Ezglider in a breeze I didn't want to fly my ASW 28 (not fully confident with the beast for the moment to land in cross wind).

Later on, the wind veered and was aligned with the landing strip, so I launched the ASW 28 (now fully aligned with Andrew Newton's mods), she flew well, looked like a glider in flight (a beautiful one) not a dive bomber, she remained airborne 20 mn with 5 mn motor in less than ideal conditions. With 100 g less, and a much aft CG she glides well - she has slowed a lot - as long as you are very smooth with your inputs.

Landings must be carefully planned, even with all due care, I was fooled by its size (2,6 m vs 1,8 m for the EZ) and landed a few meters short in the corn field before the landing strip.

My crow settings need more down elevator mix, not safe at all to use at the moment (cause a nose up attitude and a stall).

The ASW 28 is at the moment the acid test of my flying skills.

Cheers.

20. mastermalpass086

mastermalpass086 Ace Pilot

The Su-34 returns to the skies for the first time in nearly a year. My lack of practice was felt right from the get-go as after only ten seconds of having it in the air I could feel my heart pounding! Eyes locked onto the plane as I guide it with tense hands, but she still flies a dream.

The addition of rudder servos made her a bit of a tail-heavy plane, to which a Mobius made a perfect counter-weight, so she can now film as well. The Four-blader prop gives ridiculous power, toward the end of the video I'm cruising on something like 30%. There's much more torque roll and the rudders are also a bit rolley which will train me up for warbirds I think.

Short flight due to a slight tree incident. The canard is already fixed and she'll hopefully be back in the air tomorrow if the weather wills it. Still blown away by much I'm getting out of this one plane!