WHAT DID YOU FLY TODAY???

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by SONICFOAM, Nov 20, 2010.

1. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I thought it was time for a nicer looking plane to replace the ugly KR8, so i took it out and gave it a damn good ragging not minding if it crashed and it didn`t.
    This plane just handles so well and the big slow fly prop acts like an airbrake in the dives, you may be able to hear it howling:D
    Sorry about tone of the picture but I left it a bit late in the evening.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  2. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

For the money and a couple of hours set up it's a great plane to just chuck in the boot for a bit of fun.

No idea how long the motor will last but it doesn't really matter as I'll just bolt a new one on :D

I did have some reservations on how it actually glides when the power's off but having now seen an un-molested one used as a chuck glider it's pretty poor out of the box so I'm happy with how it flies based on seeing how bad it is as a toy for kids :)

Wildthing and bogusbandit56 like this.
  3. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I bought some of the hobbyking chuckies but I struggled to get anything installed they are so small.

Wildthing and Sterling101 like this.
  4. notamedclosed

notamedclosed Ace Pilot

[​IMG]

Maidened this little combat wing. Flies nice, but it gets really wacky once the throttle winds up. Punch the throttle and it pitches up (which isn't unusual) but then you can suddenly get very aggressive pitch downs despite barely touching the controls. Like it's severely tail heavy, but it's right on spec and flies fine with the throttle back below 50%. Servo's maybe not strong enough (9g) for the aerodynamic load? The wing feels strong and I put in extra carbon fiber reinforcement.

Anyway, got combat planned for our clubs FunFly next weekend so hopefully it will perform ok.

At least it's in one piece, other people didn't have the same luck. A guy lost his new P-51 and another tried to fight some trees with an EDF jet (and lost).

Happened to catch the P-51 crash with my DJI Spark.

[​IMG]

5. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

It looks like your plane has forward swept wings.
    If so, the tips can flex in flight and strange things happen like you describe.
    If it is a problem you could wrap the wings with damp brown paper and apply to the wings with water based varnish.
    That would give the wing good torsional rigidity if you can cope with a little extra weight.
    I built a wing with forward swept wing years ago and gave it the BP treatment and they were like balsa in stiffness not the weight.
    Some down thrust on the motor should alleviate the zooming.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  6. notamedclosed

notamedclosed Ace Pilot

Sounds like a good idea...I'll give it a try. Thanks!

7. Awesome, look ma no broken nose. ;)

8. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

Took the new PI F-16 rear mount with formed airfoil out for its maiden flite today,I only have one word(WOW). This plane is awsome, IMG_20180608_094630.jpg controled and glided great,it's a winner.

Lgel, bogusbandit56, homey666 and 3 others like this.
  9. Well if it flies half as good as it looks it is a winner. :) Congrats. :)

10. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Way to go, Jimbo! Bee-you-ta-ful!

Peter

11. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I`ve just got back from lunch, the trouble being I was the one on the menu.
    Did a couple of unrecorded flights with the repaired P.60mk2 and had to come back from being eaten alive by horse flies and mozzies. The repairs have worked well.

Lgel, jimbosflyin and Wildthing like this.
  12. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Excellent:)

jimbosflyin and Wildthing like this.
  13. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Flew again the Fox on the slope by 15-18 knts, 80 minutes of pure bliss.

I replaced the 2200 mah battery, by lead ballast and a 1000 mah battery with the same CG (more space available in cockpit, better ventilation, slight reduction of weight).

She really flies very nicely, effortlessly, graciously, I understand why the Fox is such a popular model of glider in the RC world.

The slow rolls are solved (increased servo travel at the radio end for ailerons after maximising mechanical travel), she flies like a scale aerobatic glider (not a 3D aerobatic like the Vagabond), very fast (I don't know what I'll say when I'll fly a fibreglass glider).

In conclusion, a superb glider, ruined by an atrocious factory build, with too complex solutions for actuating ailerons, that would have required an exquisite realisation.

Nothing that a few hours of work can't solve.

Very happy with the end result.

Cheers.

14. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

80 minutes! That's awesome. I'd need a catheter to achieve that! Wow.

Peter

15. Introducing my new park jet, the Avro Arrow CF-105, 35" wing span and about 50" in length. Loads of help from Bimo, Ian, Leigh and Scott to get this guy dialed in through a bunch of test flights and numerous changes through their suggestions.

Here are the two test flights from today, so shortened ailerons and no longer extend to the wingtips, underside rails or fences re-installed and some nice big wingtips. It flies so stable as compared to before that even did some loops and rolls. First flight tried a 0 power glide and at a very low speed when it started stalling the tail dropped so second flight moved the battery ahead 1/2" which definitely improved it. At maybe 5% throttle I could fly with some wing rock but it was fairly windy so on a calm day I am sure it would be fine.

Oh when in the video I say left I mean right and if I say right I mean left . It flies good enough now it's do I want to remove the wingtips and install more underside fences for an experiment or leave as is??? getting lazy.

16. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Jeff you may get away with some quite small wing tip under fins. If you look at my Horten 7 they are very small and still work perfectly. The arrow wings are more swept but it may be worth a try.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  17. My next experiment is to get rid of the wingtips and do multiple lower rails.

I think I can build it a new nose now also. :D

18. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

It`s such a relief rapid progress is being made. Very useful information for future projects:)

Wildthing and Sterling101 like this.
  19. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

We learn by experimentation. At least that's what I told them at school when I reversed the fume cupboard in chemistry. Oh and the time I wired up an electric shock machine and handed it to the teacher :D
    I learned not to do it again - the teacher learned not to take anything off me again :D

20. Playing with capacitors comes to mind. :D

Sterling101 likes this.