WHAT DID YOU FLY TODAY???

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by SONICFOAM, Nov 20, 2010.

1. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Nice flying:)

Sterling101 and FED50H like this.
  2. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Flew this afternoon on the slope with a friend from the club.

He flew a .9 m ws Ridge Ryder FW from HK (flew very well in 7-10 knts of wind, fast and very manoeuvrable), while I was flying my trusted Phoenix 1600 (really battered, but has never flown so well and so straight, much better than new, so relaxing to fly compared to the Vagabond XL).

Sea gulls chose to attack repeatedly the smaller FW, leaving my glider in peace (but mine is well known of the birds there).

He was afraid to be shot down by a diving attack, but he soon learned to dodge them.

We had a superb afternoon.

Cheers.

Sterling101, homey666 and Wildthing like this.
  3. FED50H

FED50H Administrator

Thanks. The size and stability of the V2 makes it great for FPV. The only change I want to make is to mount the camera in the nose, so I don't see it while flying. Should be easy enough to do...but it works so well now, I just have been too lazy to move it.

4. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I would like to have a go at FPV as it makes the flying so much smoother but I`m a solo flyer.
    Hey isn`t the V2 ready for it`s pension by now?:)

5. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Wing day today! Good fun, no tragedies.
    20180602_102303.jpg
    And video of Bob's Horten.

paulh998, Sterling101, Lgel and 2 others like this.
  6. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

How can it be a wing day without a P.60:)
    Nice landing Pete:)

7. Hi Peter,
    Just watched your video on U Tube about your Super wing. Sorry for the thump, Ouch. What brand of servos and size? Servos do have a speed spec if you look it up where you bought them from. To make a little stronger but not sure if it would increase the speed much but some external bec's will have 2 different voltage settings. The other thing is you may be nose heavy which (I think) will make it sluggish.

Sterling101 and homey666 like this.
  8. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Picked up a foam glider from Lidl last weekend so set to converting it to powered this morning and got out for a quick flight this afternoon.
    Single servo for ailerons, a servo at the back for the elevator, a 25A ESC, a 2400kv-1804 quad motor spinning a 5x4.5x3 prop and a 1000mah 3S - simple setup but very effective!
    Initially tried it on 2S but it just hadn't got enough go to make it work properly so threw the 3S in, added 10g to the tail and it flew fine.

Tracy decided to video it on her phone about 30 seconds in but on 3S this thing is a lot of fun.

Have to admit for £7 this thing is a lot of fun and I can see why they went crazy the last time they were on sale!

Took it out a few minutes ago and the wind has got up now and I have discovered that it doesn't like a strong tail wind! No damage though and I may upload the video if it looks ok :)

9. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Yep, second video came out ok with the head cam. Good fun plane and seems almost indestructible (so far)!

10. It cruises along pretty good. :)

Sterling101 likes this.
  11. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Both flights of over 6 minutes and still have 25% left in the battery. Helps it's only 300g flight ready though, just being that light the wind throws it around a bit...

homey666 and Wildthing like this.
  12. Finally able to sneak out for a light, thumbs very rusty plus dang mosquitos are out in force. had the PI PAK FA t50 out for a blast which was cut short by a mosquito, stupid thing bit me in the face and luckily I did a high speed pancake landing with minimal damage.

13. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

I think Wal-Mart has mosquito or bug masks in the sports section.:mad:hate them bugs.

Wildthing likes this.
  14. dangermouse650

dangermouse650 Ace Pilot

Good weekend even with the carnage. See the other thread :)
    030618 2.jpg
    Blue skies and happy flights

15. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Maidened the ST Model 1,8m ws Fox on the slope, as a pure glider (removed motor and prop).

Wind at 15-17 knts at sea level was stronger than expected, and not very well oriented ( lift was there, but with a lot of turbulence).

Before launch I had the feeling she was too light for the conditions (700 grs, 450 grs less than the Phoenix with 1,6 m ws), so I moved forward the CG to increase flight speed.

After a few excruciating seconds fighting to avoid her passing in inverted flight and being blown back past me on the unforgiving slope, I managed to make her dive and gain speed against the wind.

The low drag combined with some down trim, gave her sufficient speed to fly in those conditions (was never in danger of being blown back).

Reinforced wings didn't seem to flex too much, but she had a rough ride.

Loops were tight, she turned at the slightest indication without loosing speed, but even with my mods on the ailerons, roll was very slow even at speed (dangerously slow).

For the moment, she is a twitchy plane without the aerobatics performance of a true one (Vagabond XL). In those conditions the Phoenix is a piece of cake without any ballast.

After one hour flying, an electrical storm began to approach, after a few passes to feel the inertia of the plane I was lucky enough to land her at very slow speed avoiding rocks (low weight is a bonus there).

So I must improve ailerons, and find a way to ballast her for those medium conditions (preferably in the wing spar).

Cheers.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    Wildthing and bogusbandit56 like this.
  16. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Great account. A pity you don`t have a go pro or mobius camera.

Wildthing likes this.
  17. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Gliders fly high and far away compared to parkets (at the club at visual range limits).

All the videos I have seen made from gliders with standard or wide lenses, as the recorders you suggest, you see very little glider and a lot of sky.

Those great videos on Youtube have been done by a very knowledgeable cameraman with a professional video recorder (not the pilot).
    See for instance:

They are so many excellent recordings of glider flights, I don't think it would add anything (plus I don't fly any beauty), my recording of a flight with the Vagabond would be highly ridiculous compared to what Pierre Rondel has recorded!

My better half once made a try with an SLR, and results weren't great (you saw them).

May be I'll convince her to try again, but my long flights try her patience (once airborne, seen the landing conditions I try to enjoy each flight as if it was the last of the glider -it easily could be-).

Will post a pic of my Phoenix 1600 in his current flying state next time I fly her.

I am a devoted photographer, I have thousands of pics of my children, but I never recorded them, never was interested to.

Cheers.

18. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Sloped the Fox again, with a 2200 mah battery instead of a 1600 mah.

60 g more made a big difference (760 g in total), this time she flew very nicely, turning without bleeding speed, surprisingly fast for such a light plane in 15-20 knts of wind, very elegant.

Even with increased throws roll rate is still too slow (like the Phoenix 1600), a roll initiated at 300 feet diving at 45 º for speed finished just in time to recover before hitting the waves.

Must think of a more drastic solution for ailerons, new ones much bigger, and probably stronger servos than 9g.

Cheers.

19. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

Had a fresh SU-30SM out for a two battery maiden flite this morning, all's well that ends well.:cool::D IMG_20180607_090752.jpg

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  20. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

That is a sweet little flyer , no wonder people go nuts for them:D

Sterling101 likes this.