VERY COOL! The zip-tie-landing gear Install instructions???

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by tntrcman7, Feb 18, 2014.

1. tntrcman7

tntrcman7 Rookie

Hey, the zip tie landing gear idea is very cool.....but were we not shown how to install them?? Kinda left all of us hanging! I think some of us are curious how to do this.

mccalljc likes this.
  2. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

If you can build the plane you can add the zip ties! Haha. It's easy! In this video you can see how I did it...

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

3. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

You tried taking off, did you try landing in the grass, if so, what happened?

4. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

5. Airforce101

Airforce101 Top Gun

You know who carries them in that size where I live? The riot police! :eek:

Next time I get arrested, I'll ask if I can get an extra set of 'cuffs'... :D

6. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

I am from Missouri, seeing is believing. Wanted to see if clumps of grass catch a prop, does zip tie bow enough to catch prop especially on hard landing to cause damage. So, jury is out on this for landing on grass.

7. TomMonton

TomMonton Top Gun

Slick .. I like the "looped" approach to this idea as well. It just gives me a better feeling for impact strength i guess.

I didn't think foam-tac would hold up but evidently it does. Well done :)

I have some of those large zip ties in black someplace in the truck ... I just have to find them.

F1wanabe likes this.
  8. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Whatmovesyou, it does land on grass but, unless it's very a short manicured lawn (Which this field wasn't!) it's no different than landing on the nacelles.

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

I found that a slightly raised nose is best. There is what feels like a little suction there that you need to pop the nose off the ground. Slight up elevator doesn't quite. do it unless you get your ground speed very high.

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

10. TomMonton

TomMonton Top Gun

Okay F1wanabe ... I was biting my lip the entire time trying to thread these zip ties in. This is how it ended up on the Mig. I have a slight nose up on level ground.

I'm letting the foam tac cure over night and waiting the daylight again. This will be the answer because we're still in a mess-o-snow over here. A belly landing was not an option. Now I can land on the asphalt when I come in.

Now if I can only borrow that super cool new Sony Hat Cam of yours ... we be in bizniz :)

Skids.jpg

11. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

12. tntrcman7

tntrcman7 Rookie

How bout some good close ups so we can see how and exactly where you attached them?

13. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

I can't wait to see how this works out!

There was a thread a short while ago with a guy looking to setup zip-tie landing gear for takeoffs. It looks like it can be done but I haven't seen it tested yet.

14. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Haha, pavement is fine for take off and landing, but as you see in that video, take offs on grass didn't work out too well, Scott.

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  15. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

I hadn't seen that video you posted above yet! Perfect!

16. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

ScottLott likes this.
  17. TomMonton

TomMonton Top Gun

It worked !! ...well sorta :D It wanting to slide to the right on me and given the narrow space of asphalt I had to work with I ended up hand launching anyway. This was the maiden flight for this bird anyway.

I'm impressed at how well it flew out of the gate. Upright or inverted was amazingly stable. Talk about fighting against some glare though with all that snow on the ground still. Bank turns using bank and yank against the ailerons alone was excellent.

I was about to bring her in and do a skid landing finally and the motor cut out completely. A throttle reset did not wake it up but still had control enough to come in level to plop on the snow. I never did reach the asphalt again to try out the skids. *grumble* I had a battery meter/alert module connected and was still well within the range of good.

Back home I discovered .. the one zip tie was a tad longer than the other and would explain why to wanted to skid to the right *duh*. Must have been that second beer last night. Otherwise prop clearance and skid strength was not an issue at all.

The motor thing, a Grayson v3 is simply messed up somehow. I replaced it leaving the original esc in place and will see what happens there. On the bench it runs tight and noticed a little different sound and thrust off this one so... I think I had a lame motor to begin with.

It was a sort of bitter sweet afternoon I guess ?

18. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

TomMonton, if you look closely at my f18 you'll see that mine was also the victim of one too many beers. A shock top I believe, haha. With respect to the mjv3, do you use hot glue on your motor mount by any chance?

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

19. TomMonton

TomMonton Top Gun

Affirmative .. I do. But any glue was only on the back side reference the motor.

You have my curiosity now and why do you ask ?
    Mount-3.jpg Mount-1.jpg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
    mmiller1 likes this.
  20. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

I still have my first mjv3 and it still looks brand new! That's because on my first flight, hot glue was sucked into the bearing from behind and I've tried a couple solvents but still it is binding. I was wondering if some hot glue worked it's way into your bearing?

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

vcereijo likes this.