The Ugly Ugly Stick

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by Wildthing, Dec 15, 2017.

1. I am going to try BB56 suggestion of the front elevator function going the opposite way of the rear. ;) 1 V Tail mixer , 2 extra Y's , 2 channels only required and done., no fancy mixing required. :)

bogusbandit56 likes this.
  2. trying2fly

trying2fly Top Gun

I find the craft extremely innovative. When painted it will be very attractive!!!!!KEEP ON THINKING!!!! You are creative. Chas

bogusbandit56 and Wildthing like this.
  3. :D :D :D You are the only one that thinks its attractive. ;) It is easy to lose perspective of what is the front or rear. :D :D

4. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

Think of the front wing as a canard. If the back elevator is pulled up and if the front elevator goes down, what do you think will happen?

On my F-22, I used canards like a second pair of elevons(ailerons active) (Nasa has done spin tests) it works if controls are limited and it put's the plane on steroids. If you do attempt it(watch out)!!!

Wildthing likes this.
  5. I will make sure I have 3 pots of coffee first. ;)

whatmovesyou likes this.
  6. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

Those pots will only keep you warm when you go out into your flying conditions. You will need more to fly it.

Wildthing likes this.
  7. Well Double Ugly made it's official 2nd flight. Now with the front wing angle changed plus also reversed the pitch between the front and back wing. Lifted easy as pie, definitely a lot more pitch sensitive now. Did make for an interesting flight characteristics :D :D , it does rolls and even loops now. Now we will try straight ailerons on the front and elevons on the rear. to really see if the wing angle helped at all.

8. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

That went well:)
    I think you need to dial down the elevator control on the front wing and have elevons on the back wing.
    It looks like the Dugly could hover in the wind.
    It does remind me of a one motor quad when it is in the air:D

Wildthing likes this.
  9. Well now that it lifted good this way which also included the wing mod now I will go back to the original of elevons and straight ailerons and see how it does. This was Fugly to fly especially bank & yank into a corner, well the thing stops dead in it's tracks. :D :D I had it all on 2 channels so there was no tuning down the front.

10. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  11. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

The problem with your set up is when you apply up or down elevator you are also deploying crow braking. That is the elevons go up and the elevators go down creating huge drag.
    The best way to do it is like a simple canard set up with ailerons on the back and elevators on the front.

Wildthing likes this.
  12. Oh, that could be even another cool experiment. :) So just straight elevator on the front and straight ailerons on the rear????

13. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Yes, that will cure the braking in the turns. I should have realised that before but was not quite sure how you had set the controls up.
    You wont have super manuverabilty but I think the benefits of this plane may lie in it`s ability to carry loads.
    So are you ready for an Autogyro type plane?:D

Wildthing likes this.
  14. It's the "Wild" gyro. :)

15. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

No,
    one of these things.
    [​IMG]

Wildthing likes this.
  16. Double Ugly flies again, this time with elevons on the rear and straight ailerons on the front. It's actually starting to fly good. Warmer days and some fine tuning and it should be ok. Next to try the canard setup. :)

trying2fly, FED50H and bogusbandit56 like this.
  17. Almost a year since I played with this guy, it is back on the table. :D

FlyteTime likes this.
  18. The last time flown it was decent so lets see if we can screw that up. :D Yuk it was dusty dirty just sitting in the garage. Let's make it more like an X plane and shorten the fuse and butt the two wings together. Probably still go with tractor setup , easier to balance. ;)

2018_1124_062653_001.JPG 2018_1124_064414_001.JPG 2018_1124_090659_001.JPG 2018_1124_090704_002.JPG

JTiger and trying2fly like this.
  19. trying2fly

trying2fly Top Gun

Wildthing likes this.
  20. Hi Chas
    The Double Ugly will get the same 1400kv motor and 10X5 prop.

Just to help make sure I didn't break a prop on the Harley I did do a 2" tall double layer skid near the front of the plane but that still isn't any where near creating enough clearance to let the prop spin freely when on the ground. . All the other combat planes don't have any skids at all and I don't break any, odd time I have chipped one. Some I have the brake set on so soon as you cut the throttle it stops dead and some spin freely. Just make sure you have 0 throttle before you touch down.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    trying2fly likes this.