The Ugly Ugly Stick

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by Wildthing, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

The Quad that stole Christmass ;p

Wildthing likes this.
  2. thunder

thunder Top Gun

Yes,i did make a suggestion about motors that tilt from the vertical to the horizontal but I decided to delete my comment as it was detracting from what the build actually is,great work Wildthing.

Wildthing likes this.
  3. Well I attempted another go at Double Ugly,. Angled the motor, moved the cg way back and added landing gear. Hmph, 1st ice hard snow it hit broke off the front wheels so I didn't get to taxi it around and see if it would lift so hand launch it is. Straight down nose dive. :D :D I am not done with it yet, nose is getting cut off to where it was originally and in goes a motor mount and we will make it a tractor setup.

4. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Is it about time to call it quits on this design Jeff?

Wildthing likes this.
  5. Tractor setup coming up. :)

6. Double Ugly is ready for test #3 :D

2018_0106_191940_002.JPG 2018_0106_191933_001.JPG

7. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

Now that you have put the motor in-line with the fuse, your odds go up.

But you also have the option to reverse the gear, put a pusher prop on and give it a go if the puller doesn't work.

Wildthing likes this.
  8. Or put one on both ends. :D :D

9. I could even have a tug of war then. ;)

10. Well Double Ugly finally made it off the ground for more then .0005 of a second, heck even landed it. Still wants to dive though, needed a lot of elevator to keep it up. May try remounting the front (forward swept) wing at a angle, bottom plate is square to the fuse and I think it has zero lift if not the opposite the way it sits.

Sterling101 and bogusbandit56 like this.
  11. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Jeff,
    I have heard of this phenomena happening to a Miles Libellula, but in that case it did not want to take off.
    The test pilot refused to fly the first prototype so Mr Miles decided to fly the plane himself.
    He found the plane would not take off and after several attempts he found by powering down, the aircraft left the ground.
    Another case was with a large model. In this instance the pilot altered the angle of incidence on the front wing and shifted the CoG slightly back. In your case I would try shimming the leading edge of the front plane by a small amount before altering the CoG
    The Miles Libellula.[​IMG]

Wildthing likes this.
  12. The front wing is my next mod, 0 lift to it. I even was running elevons on the front wing just so I could somewhat neutral it.

bogusbandit56 likes this.
  13. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Did you have the front elevons set up or down?
    They act in reverse to the rear elevons.
    Where is the CoG now?

Wildthing likes this.
  14. They are all the same right now, (front and rear)???? Interesting??? I set it up this way just thinking because of the 2X4 setups. So the front ones would almost act like flaps then.
    I think the way it sits right now though it still has a negative lift characteristic to it.
    CG I went back to my original calculation.

15. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

If you have up elevator on the front wing it will act like down rear elevator. Have a think about it.:)
    So this is probably where you went wrong.

Wildthing likes this.
  16. First tests were just with elevons on the rear and instant nose dive.

17. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

That could have been all sorts of different reasons on the first flight , but I still think you need to lift the LE on the front wing.

Wildthing likes this.
  18. That was my plan. :)

19. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

Actually, since it flies with stability, just change the CG aft. As you said, you are holding up elevator and it is able to fly and also land.

So change the battery small amounts aft and fly it. Another test you should do is go up 3 crash heights and slowly reduce the power and see if it stalls out slowly or drops nose quickly. i think it will drop quickly indicating a nose heavy plane. Try it until is get mushy with controls and stalls out.

Also FS Wings need a little rudder input as you start to lift off the ground. Yours need a little right. Also FSW's track much better when rudder is added to the turns.

The reason you prop in the rudder didn't work is you needed down thrust not upthrust, enough to be angled to line up with the CG. You put up which drives the nose into the ground.

Wildthing likes this.
  20. All good info, when I shimmed the motor (rudder mounted) it was down thrust I added not up. I have already remounted the front wing so we will see how that goes first , if it feels exactly the same I will start moving the battery back. It didn't really like to glide without full or almost full up elevator.