The Ugly Ugly Stick

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by Wildthing, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Yes, my microphone has a very short range and yes it is on my tx and no I am not going to stand out in the middle of a field and yelling away looking like some lunatic. :D

jimbosflyin and Flybyknight22 like this.
  2. Double Ugly is back together and ready for test #2. ;) Temp here is now dropping quick so who knows when it will happen, maybe if we get some nice fluffy snow I can do some glide tests.

Flybyknight22 likes this.
  3. Sound is now working, some little default check mark somewhere deep in the system did it. Even though I had sound for everybody elses videos online or stored in the computer mine had none whether I listened to them through Windows media player or online at You Tube, now they have sound.

4. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Exactly.
    With an integrated mic, camera position is everything.

Wildthing likes this.
  5. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

To test CG, take a good windy day, release plane about 1 ft off ground(no motor) after you chuck it. It it nose down immediately, you are nose heavy.

Move battery until it finally does a nose up into the wind (still hand chucking), then back off until it glides rather well.

Now go 2 ft high and chuck plane. Try a tad up elevator and get it to glide longer. If it doesn't and reacts "like on steroids", reduce your throws or change ailerons/elevator or elevons(single/double).

If you get control of it, now run motor/prop (1/4 speed) with wind, about a ft off ground, if it drives it to the ground you will need to redesign it. If elevator reacts, you now chuck plane like you normally do.

If you choose to try the old method of releasing like normal, you will trash it after a couple of attempts. At least at low levels, you will do minor damage.

Near my house is a sled run for kids in winter which drops at an angle of about 15 degrees and about 500 ft long . When the wind is blowing up the hill, excellent way to test a new plane with ailerons/elevator and CG without doing any damage to plane..

Note: When doing prop/motor, hold radio in left hand, with thumb on inner gymbal(not the stick). That way, you can add/subtract/kill RPM's instantaneously to prevent major damage. Will help with your condition of nose down.

Wildthing and Flybyknight22 like this.
  6. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Ha!

You would after 3 or 4 stiff cuts on this swamp shine BaBa! :p

Wildthing likes this.
  7. Good info,
    I was also thinking about motor angle, right now it is parallel to the fuse/ bottom of the wings.
    My other thought was to throw some landing gear on it so I can taxi it and get a feel for how or if it wants to lift.

8. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

Gear would give you an excellent way to get a feel for it.

Hunch says that you will need some motor angle not having the thrust line in line with fuse.

Wildthing likes this.
  9. Motor is angled up a few degrees now, fitting some gear to it next. :)

FlyteTime likes this.
  10. Well motor has been shimmed, now has landing gear with rear steer (no rudder so needed something). ;)

2017_1221_095940_001.JPG

11. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Ugly or not, That thing looks like it should fly.

Heavygravity and Wildthing like this.
  12. To be seen yet. :D

13. thunder

thunder Top Gun

Have only just found this thread and that design would do my head in regarding orientation,its very cool though,very unorthodox and I would name it Confusion lol put a vertical stab on the end of each wing instead of the centre and then not even god will know which way is forward,i like to experiment too but with multis and next year I am hoping to fly the worlds first vertical hovering quad lol 2 separate throttles on TX,,cheers

Flybyknight22 and Wildthing like this.
  14. Sure, motor in the middle and a vertical on both ends why not . Just what I need to do is confuse myself even more. ;) And orientation, heck I lose that easy enough too. :D :D

A vertical hovering quad, ????? Mount the gyro at 90 degrees, hold the quad vertical when plugging in the battery. ;) Simple. :D :D

15. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

No doubt BUT with landing gear and a little pavement I have very high hopes that it will at least,... ROLL :p

FlyteTime and Wildthing like this.
  16. That it does, only which way it can go from there is up. OH and then straight down. :D

FlyteTime, Flybyknight22 and homey666 like this.
  17. thunder

thunder Top Gun

No lol normal flying quad that can go vertical and stay there,and no gyro on vertical,,,just like a vertical hovering plane,have not seen one do it yet and that is why I am gona try it.

Flybyknight22 and Wildthing like this.
  18. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Hey Wild,

Maybe you could put a lift, gyro stabilized quad motor in the center of Ole Ugly Fugly or better yet, install 4 small quad motors with 4-blade props on each corner of the wangs.

Then,... the wings would be for show only :p

19. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

So here you go Wild,

Get rid of the landing gear.

Add motors in each corner wing.

Add another stab on the opposite end to match the other along with another motor in it to match as well.

Put a cheap 4 in 1 ESC and cd32 flight controller in the fuse.

Voila!,..

SupaFast FugUglyQuad!

5E3A9093-B3B0-45B0-A105-8DC96DA480B9.jpeg

FlyteTime and Wildthing like this.
  20. And a partridge in a pear tree. :D :D

FlyteTime and Flybyknight22 like this.