THE ALPHA JET MK2 -FRCFoamies

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

And the blue LEDs are in - I now can't see properly...

IMG_20161108_222412.jpg

2. I am glad that when the esc cut out atleast it was just the motor, glided in for a smooth landing. Normally I don't fly in this park but I had my truck & trailer and loaded with equipment so the other park really doesn't have the room to turn around with all this crap. But I am glad it flew. :) For roll I think I will dial in quite a bit of expo, when it is flying flat it rolls instantly even though you do a vertical and then it spins rather slow.

F1wanabe and Sterling101 like this.
  3. Cool. :)

F1wanabe and Sterling101 like this.
  4. Here are my 2 flights, one really quick one. :D

5. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Looks like you got the hang of its maneuverability in the second video and it looked super smooth! Nice flying! It flies really well slow too, so bring it down closer and you'll really love it!

Goodbye Note 7 Hello S7 Edge!

Sterling101 and Wildthing like this.
  6. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Wow, looks really good Sterling!

7. TacticalFlight

TacticalFlight Ace Pilot

I think this is the first time iv'e seen you fly something slowish Jeff!

8. :D :D :D

Sterling101 likes this.
  9. Ok some night time flying, sorry totally unedited, some parts I forgot to turn the camera off and then there was a part where I forgot to turn it on. I haven't even watched them myself. :D . My esc cut out again even though I ran it through 3 batteries at home and it didn't skip a beat, just before I touched down the motor cut back in. I did lose perspective a few times and ouch a bent nose 2 or 3 times again. :D Time for a total new nose job. :D

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  10. lol... "The esc will cut out again... give it a couple of seconds" cracked me up...
    Nice flying though and the plane looks good in air too! :D I think putting "bare lights" on rudder would help quite a bit with orientation! Nice work Jeff!!

11. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Normally when I'm flying in the day time I take quite a wide circuit and do high speed passes.
    For some reason right from the off I keep it closer in at night which really does help with orientation.
    But it's also helped with the vertical stabiliser being fully illuminated by the white LED strips so it really does glow well.
    Great work on your first night flight though Jeff. Now let's see if you want more speed like I do ;)

Wildthing likes this.
  12. Of course that happened when the camera was off, my wife thought I had landed and took off again I was that close to touching down. :D Another esc for the test bench. ;) The camera didn't really work that good in the night to show the colors, but the red and green glow through the bottom almost as much as the top even though they are facing upwards. I may paint most off the underside outer part of the wings solid black just to hide the 2 colors. Lights on the rudder sound like a great idea.

Sterling101 and malukk like this.
  13. I like the idea of some lights on the rudder. It's definitely different to fly at night the daytime. :) I am glad the battery didn't unplug when it hit :D :D It would have been a good scavenger hunt, there are no city lights in this park so it is black. :)

Sterling101 likes this.
  14. And the dissecting begins. ;)

2016_1109_080147_001.JPG 2016_1109_080152_002.JPG

15. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Thankfully my repairs were just the final couple of inches of nose. Easy fix and wrapped in gaffer tape for orientation in the day and extra strength all round :)

Was hoping to get back up to the field tonight but ended up with a migraine earlier today while I was at work so having a very relaxed evening...

Wildthing likes this.
  16. New nose is on and painted (somewhat) , added under belly a second layer of foam for strength plus painted the outer underside of the wings so the red and green lights don't come through as much. Just have to reinstall the electronics and grab a new esc and should be ready to go again.

2016_1110_100608_001.JPG 2016_1110_100619_002.JPG 2016_1110_100646_003.JPG 2016_1110_102450_001.JPG 2016_1110_102509_002.JPG

17. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Nice repair Jeff and the extra paint should help with orientation for sure.

Wildthing, F1wanabe and Airflow like this.
  18. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Almost like new! Go for it!:)

19. Motor mount forward is new, ;) splice job went well.

Sterling101 likes this.
  20. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Speaking of new noses, I made my Schumacher glow jet out of 9mm, 1.9 density epp foam and its pretty much indestructible! It bounces pretty well. Because the foam is 9mm,i upscaled the plans to 105 percent to maintain airflow characteristics throughout the fuselage. Here it is on a 12 degree winter night, flying in a snowy field and unpainted! Still was able to keep orientation.

malukk, Wildthing and Sterling101 like this.