THE ALPHA JET MK2 -FRCFoamies

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Jan 6, 2014.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Actually, that may have put the cg too far back. When cg is too far back you get the porpoising effect where the plane's nose rises and drops erratically. Did you have the cg in the mark? My batteries are in the nose on the right side of the nose divider.

Goodbye Note 7 Hello S7 Edge!

Wildthing likes this.
  2. Had what I thought was just a tad nose heavy. I always drill ting holes through the plans when they are on the foam so I never lose the cg mark.

Flybyknight22 likes this.
  3. Each attempt it rolled right and as it turned going with the wind that's when the nose dropped.

F1wanabe likes this.
  4. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

That's tight right there Wildthing!

If you are going to fly at night, this plane is your Dawg!

It is also surprisingly durable as well. I crashed mine nose first, sticking it into the ground like a lawn dart with zero damage.

Easy to hang lights on it and is easy to orient at night.

It's not the best flyer and by far not the worst either. It flys more than well enough for night ops and that's all that matters.

5. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Hey Wild,

Just a recommendation,...

I wouldn't take this plane straight out at night to maiden it.

Fly some batteries through itduring the day first to get the hang of it and then go for night ops.

You'll be glad you did.

You will like flying this thing at night, for me this is where the plane shines at its best.

TacticalFlight and Wildthing like this.
  6. Thats strange Jeff... Hmm... hopefully there's not much damage to it...
    I am using a Zoom450 motor and this is how I have my 2200mah 3S battery placed inside to balance...

IMG_4915.JPG

Yours seemed like it wanted to roll (right) and then dip, I would try powering up full throttle for 10-15sec while holding the plane and see if any of the servos move or flutter... I only had one plane like that where a servo would move as I would power up even when channels were not mixed - turned out to be a bad servo!

I know you must have already done this but it wouldn't hurt to double check that the elevons are leveled by resting the plane flat on a flat surface...

TacticalFlight and Wildthing like this.
  7. Oh and for the nose section (where the battery sits), I followed Tom's advice and put some tape underneath for some reinforcement! It certainly needs it esp. during hard landings...

F1wanabe and Wildthing like this.
  8. My battery was exactly like yours. I still have to double check my throws, I might have screwed up there, not enough channels for all the planes. ;)

Flybyknight22, F1wanabe and malukk like this.
  9. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Wild,

Just some thoughts and a few changes I made to mine.

Of all my scratch builds this plane really rewards you with a light build, more so than with others I have experienced so do what you can to lighten the load.

I originally set my battery up the same way you and Malukk did but I didn't quite like that setup.

I took out the 2200mah battery and went to a
    3-cell 1500mah and a 1300mah battery both 40 & 50c.

I also changed the prop to an APC Scimitar 7x3 with the standard 2200KV Turnigy motor.

I also placed the batteries on the opposite side of the prop rotation to help reduce torque roll and with the smaller batteries it helped reduce the weight.

Those three changes (smaller battery & position + more thrust) made a significant difference in how mine flys.

10. Cool, thank you.

11. Well it's back together, no bad servos or anything like that. I think I forgot to turn on the switches for the D/R which would have gave me 100% throw where as I was only at 60%. Just doing a vertical thrust and control surfaces authority , it all seems good to go. I also put on a different prop to reverse the torque roll so we will see what that does.

Anybody ever mixed the rudders into the ailerons????

Sterling101 and Flybyknight22 like this.
  12. Rudders to aileron mix, I usually do it on glider or even "highlander-style" planes... jets, not really as it mostly causes it to roll...

Wildthing likes this.
  13. Just curious of how wicked it could get. ;)

Sterling101, Flybyknight22 and malukk like this.
  14. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

What prop did you change to Wild?

Wildthing likes this.
  15. Still a 6X4 APC , for my twin setups I have both rotations instock.

Flybyknight22 and Sterling101 like this.
  16. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

I managed a quick flight tonight just as it was starting to rain.
    New LED's in the nose work great and seems to give a good orientation boost. Certainly never lost any orientation at all through the entire flight.
    Sadly, my hat cam alignment was rather poor tonight but you get the general idea anyway!

malukk, TomMonton and Wildthing like this.
  17. Looks great. :)

18. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Love the glow from those LED's - might add a blue stripe on top though to really give some differentiation at night.
    Oh, and a stripe of blue LED's on top of the nose will be going on soon...

19. Well, SUCCESS, maiden flight went great (this time) but I did tag a light post so more nose repairs. 2 flights, first one pretty short, esc cut out for some reason and by the time I got to the plane it was working again. 2nd flight went for quite a few minutes until the post jumped out and hit me. So the only real changes were turning on the dual rates (duh), balanced it the same with the 22003S battery and reversed the rotation of the prop, it didn't roll at all on launch this time. Videos to follow.

20. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Sounds not too dissimilar to when that one tree jumped out and got me at the airfield on landing...

Great news though - can't wait to see the videos!