THE ALPHA JET MK2 -FRCFoamies

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Jan 6, 2014.

1. csitas

csitas Ace Pilot

Man! That thing looks like a starving crow. It's poor beak is in shambles. Surely someone could help it.

Airflow likes this.
  2. FlaminJewel

FlaminJewel Airman

And the Academy Award go to Airflow Movie Productions.......'show off'

Flybyknight22, F1wanabe and Airflow like this.
  3. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Oh Bandit! I can not see any reason for you to use such a drastic formulation .. ;) Alpha Jet does the job, I follow ... :confused: hehe:)

..There’s no starting over, no new beginnings, time races on
    And you've just gotta keep on keeping on
    Gotta keep on going, looking straight out on the road
    >>>>"looking straight up in the sky..."
    Can't worry 'bout what's behind you or what's coming for you further up the road >>>>Sky :rolleyes:

I try not to hold on to what is gone, I try to do right what is wrong
    I try to keep on keeping on
    Yeah I just keep on keeping on... That's all it takes ... ;)

4. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Just kidding , Lars I dont care how rough round the edges my flying is , I LOVE it:)

F1wanabe and Airflow like this.
  5. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

I know! ;-)

F1wanabe likes this.
  6. Hoek_NL

Hoek_NL Cadet

Finally, after waiting for more then a week, the wind has dropped enough to venture on another training mission.
    Second AJmk2 build has rudders, increasing the n00b pilot workload, but perhaps making it easier to get those much needed sharp turns.
    As the wife needs the beemer to go to work with, i felt it was time for a mobile hangar for the AJ on my old Honda ST1100 so i can go anytime the winds are favourable.

Not sure if the Po-lice is keen on me driving around trailing a chickencoop, but hey the pizza-delivery guys do it so why not?

Managed to drain both 2S's without crashing, did a few passable semi-coordinated turns but not a full circuit or figure-8 yet. Quite a few walks of shame too. I'm actually a bit shocked that flying can cause some serious anxiety at first, after a turn i usually had to cut the thottle and flare it softly onto the ground just to get my act back together... :) But the fun factor is equally amazing.

This build is not flying as straight as the previous one so needed a lot more dialing in. Wind picked up near the end, making the whole 'learning to fly' experience a bit more stressfull, but already this is getting addictive very vast!!

[​IMG]

7. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

That's an accurate description of me starting out, Hoek NL. Crashing was "not an option" and the stress not to do it was tremendous! Once you burn through a battery with no crashing it's like the gates open up and your confidence rushes through! A couple things that helped me were using a neck strap to keep my arms and hands relaxed, and also setting up the plane properly for stability. A lot of these parkjets are inherently stable, and sometimes when you get in trouble, less input may be better. Anyway, thanks for the field report!

Hoek_NL, Airflow and FlaminJewel like this.
  8. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Neat. ..I like the parkjet tote box you've made clipped to your bike.

Very slick idea. :)

bogusbandit56 and Airflow like this.
  9. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

The motorized hanger is easy to fix, but I have to have a motorcycle before the time comes! HaHa ;-)

Hoek_NL, F1wanabe and TomMonton like this.
  10. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Lol. ..yeah me too.

The overhead on this plan is a little out of reach to include the bike to go with my cool new tote box

Hoek_NL, Airflow and F1wanabe like this.
  11. Hoek_NL

Hoek_NL Cadet

Good to know it's all going to plan ;) A neck strap is on the list.

As for setting up the plane, sometimes a depron board has been standing up and has a slight bend, maybe that's the issue. I've tried to give m a good look over to see if it all lines up and is straight, but still my SU-30 took a sharp left turn after launch and this 2nd AJ has a tiny preference to the right.

But like you say F1, this plane is very stable, it's not a problem, i just love it, thanks again for the design.

12. FlaminJewel

FlaminJewel Airman

Greg,
    I bought a scale and weighed my Alpha Jet. Is 20 .oz too heavy? That's w/o battery.

13. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Well, most 3s set ups are 18 oz with battery. If you are at 20 oz without, then you'll be at 25 with, which would be right at the limit of thrust for the motor. It'll fly but not very well. Did you add extra reinforcements?

14. FlaminJewel

FlaminJewel Airman

Yeh. All of the creases and leading edges have fiberglass drywall tape and light weight spackle. Plus, the whole plane is covered with Foam-Tac finish.
    I've re-positioned the motor to accommodate for a 7" prop, but I haven't tried it yet. It has a Grayson's 2200kv motor. Should I increase the size of the motor? (That would mean using a smaller prop, yes?) If so, what size?

15. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Which Grayson 2200 kv motor do you have? You may be able to use a 6x3 emp prop for added thrust. The thrust is important but I think you'll find the wing loading will be the biggest issue since you will need to keep the airspeed up high for it to fly.

Airflow likes this.
  16. FlaminJewel

FlaminJewel Airman

Super MegaJet V2

17. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

I have that motor with a 50 amp esc and i'm useing a 6x5.5 prop on my rcpowers F-35 V2 and it has plenty of power for that heavy of a plane,it should make the alfa jet MK2 fly no problem.

F1wanabe likes this.
  18. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Ok great! That's a 2550kv the 6x5.5 is good, but the 6x4 will be fine since it has 32 oz thrust with a 6x4. A little more with a 6x3 emp. Well have to meet up one day to fly it, Stan!

19. FlaminJewel

FlaminJewel Airman

20. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Ill PM you when I can get free!