THE ALPHA JET MK2 -FRCFoamies

Discussion in 'FRCFoamies Plans' started by F1wanabe, Jan 6, 2014.

1. kwebersole

kwebersole Airman

hey thanks and yes i am short half a sheet

F1wanabe likes this.
  2. gibby1117

gibby1117 Ace Pilot

Great flying, Greg!!! She's a beaut!

F1wanabe likes this.
  3. skelator

skelator Cadet

yes been to their place once but never fly with them yet as I'm not really night flyer :p, and they stay up pretty dam late lol, but I have not been flying rc for almost 6 month now I hope will not crash it on maiden :d

F1wanabe likes this.
  4. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

Greg and Jay,

Thought I'd let you know that I gave you guys another shout out on RCGroups in the foam-tac contest entry. I entered my structural reinforcement method using Foam-Tac and Fiberglass Mesh Tape into the contest now that it appears to be up and running again.

Here is a link to my entry, which shows my RCPowers Mig-29 V1, the FRCFoamies A-10 (surviving a full-throttle dive with hardly any damage) and the RCPowers Alpha Jet MK2 and the reinforcements that I did to it along with my maiden video.

Anyway, thought you might like to see my shout out to you and my entry. Here it it is:
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=27500710&postcount=1782

5. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

FatherAndSons likes this.
  6. FatherAndSons

FatherAndSons Top Gun

How do u do it Greg!?!? U see everything...whether or i send it to u or not, u seem to know about it. My hat is off to u...once again :)

F1wanabe likes this.
  7. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Haha, I am on tapatalk all the time! We have a snow emergency here so its been a day of movies ans surfing the forums. Thanks again for your enthusiasm for FRCFoamies and Foam Tac!

DavePowers and FatherAndSons like this.
  8. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Build Pics!
    Alpha1.jpg
    hdggfsd

gibby1117 and F1wanabe like this.
  9. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

10. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Ok ok, don't kick my butt to be flying this in a few days, I'm not that fast!
    We are building a bunch right now and this is one of them!
    Getting ready for the Spring, thats right, long term planning here.
    Anyway, wanted to post some slow-progress here and mention what I like so far:

1) The adjustable motor mount! Wow, I would steal that if I could get away with it!
    2) The motor in the middle for less "weight momentum". No wonder it hovers so well non-huge controls.
    3) The angled fronterons look very promising. Good direction of efficient air flow.
    4) Very simple, "hyper-efficient" controls in the back.
    5) Strong, stocky feel to it with no carbon! Yeah, that was a nice treat.

I'm gonna see if I can get a 3 bladed prop in there at first on a MicroJet with a 1300mah first.
    Gonna go super light at first, beat the heck out of it, and then start adding more weight to it as I go along.

We do plan to have some videos of this in the Spring/Summer once we get everything else all done!

Anything with "Alpha" in the title you know I'm a sucker for.
    Great work Jay and Greg and thanks a million for sharing your work here!

gibby1117 likes this.
  11. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Dave, the build pics look great, thanks for posting them! The 3 blade prop will fit fine, I'm sure, and is something that I didn't think of. The thrust should be nice and even! A light set up is killer on this, and I can definitely feel the extra weight on my heavier epp led version. Whenever you can get to it is great, we know that you are busy at work on the v4's. The sliding motor mount works really well for all types, and I always go as far forward as possible to maximize the hover potential.
    We normally route the push rods on the outside of the intake area so that they don't obstruct the rudder movement, but JettaManDan was able to notch the rudders to get full deflection. Full deflection is great for flat spins! And I figure the further out the servos are, the better roll stability you get. Like the old high wire balance act holding the long pole. But, that's just me.
    Wow, very excited, Dave and Scott!

www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
    DavePowers likes this.
  12. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

VERY NICE DAVE! like Greg said, i put my servos out in between the top and bottom wings but my first alpha i had them like you have. I sill think you will have enough throw for high alpha control but if you want any fancy rudder maneuvers then i might be tempted to move the push rods for the elevons out more so not to obstruct the rudders. Anyway, it looks awesome and i'm super excited you have built the MK2 alpha! Thank you very much Dave and Scott and to every one else that has supported us on our designs!

DavePowers and gibby1117 like this.
  13. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Luv It Dave :)

DavePowers likes this.
  14. 4props

4props Rookie

I have only just got round to the maiden on the MK1 but bought the MK2 plans (and donated more than the £3 based on the fact I had already received the MK1), I find it very sad that people don't feel the need to donate. I have 3 people who have asked me to build the MK1 and now MK2 for them and all three were happy to pay for the plans.

My first flight build was too heavy and low powered but I have now upped the motor, I am not sure I can drop the battery without killing the CG on the current build.

Once the UK weather sorts itself out I will be having a ton of fun.

I am in the process of building a CNC hot wire cutter so hoping to be able to get these cut in no time :)

FatherAndSons and F1wanabe like this.
  15. 4props

4props Rookie

What is the alternative to Foam-Tac? I have always used UHU-Por for foam.

Thanks
    Darren

16. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

That works well also, Darren, and Thank you very much for your support! Jay and I appreciate it!
    How heavy was the first Alpha Jet? Nice of you to build for your friends. Once you get a cnc cutter they will be knocking at your door for sure!
    www.youtube.com/gstrysky
    www.frcfoamies.com

17. 4props

4props Rookie

About 21oz, you had replied to my post on RCGroups and I hacked it about to add a larger motor and smaller battery. It is super windy in the UK at the moment so I cannot test it properly. I will film it (without the lens cam) as soon as I can get out to really test it.

I will be able to get the weight down for sure on the next build. Looking forward to the MK2 I already have the parts, now all I need is some time :)

F1wanabe likes this.
  18. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Yes, thank you 4props, we are glad you and your friends are enjoying the alpha jet! The wind has been really bad hasn't it! Where in the UK are you?

Sent from my galaxy note 3 using Tapatalk pro

19. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Thanks for the servo and pushrod tips guys, I'll keep that in mind and go back over some of the pics others have posted once I get ready to put my hardware in.

F1wanabe likes this.
  20. 4props

4props Rookie

Last night was horrendous, our flying field will be out of action for weeks with the amount of rain we have had. Luckily I have a lot of farm land near the house so can always find somewhere to fly :)

I am near Chelmsford (Essex).