Thank you RCPowers!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Grey, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Grey

Grey Ace Pilot

With the great weather we've been having here I've been running into a lot more guys at the park with their planes. After chatting for a while I keep getting guys sayng "you've only been flying how long?!?". It's nice to get the compliment but it's not me at all.

It's these planes and RCPowers.com. Every one I have is well designed and flies like a champ (even with build errors and uneven throws on the earlier ones). Then I've always got Dave in the back of my head saying "Hot glue and tape and it's allll fixable". Knowing it's fixable after a crash, or at least the worst that's likely to happen is you shred $10 worth of Depron, is an awesome thing for your confidence levels.

A plane that likes doing what you tell it to do + the confidence to tell it to do it? That makes RCPowers = Win.

Dave; thanks for the info, encouragement and confidence that brings.
    Scott; thanks for the great planes that put up with my lack of skill and still do their job.
    Val; thanks for the videos which inspired me to come here in the first place.

I know it's a business but it's so refreshing to see a business these days that still cares about their customers just as much as their dollars.

2. wheelbarrowjackson

wheelbarrowjackson Cadet

I share those same sentiments. I would have wasted a lot of money on a couple of RTF's before giving up and trying something else. These plans and others have helped me get back in the air faster and more frequently with more consistent success. The community helps a lot too. It's nice to watch others solve the same issues and then follow in their footsteps as well as solve unique problems and be able to give that knowledge back.

3. squishy

squishy Top Gun

Same thing here...

I built a X-31 (all wrong of course) knew I was gonna crash it and I did in the second short flight
    got a simulator, practice practice practice...
    built the grayson hobby sukio epp 3d trainer (not recommended for beginners) had some success in circling the park, crashed many times, built another one crashed it too
    then I built the cheap-n-easy and was finally learning to fly well enough to get more and more flight time, still crashed it many times but it lived longer
    built a bi-plane out of epp, couldn't even get the cg right and gave it away (bi-planes are not for beginners)
    built the Firefly, crashed it, hated it, KF3 sucks for beginners
    built the X-31 again, built it well, crashed it well
    built more cheap-n-easys and got tons of flight time
    built the F22v2 and ran it into a pole
    began my own scratch design but didn't build it
    picked up some old nitro trainers and converted them to brushless (fly so awesome, they float, still going but needs repair after hitting light pole with a wing)
    finally built my own design and it flew perfectly, it's sitting right here waiting for another esc because the GH one sucks
    finally bought an airplane I didn't build, got a bixler, love it, floats like a glider and I learned to catch thermals, still folded the wings pulling up out of a dive on the second flight but fixed it up nice
    by now I could fly the cheap-n-easy anywhere and did, hand catch it every time
    built two mig29's, love'm so much fun, get crazy and still crash them, three times a peice I think, but they are still flyin
    built two balsa kits to learn how to cover, still suck at it but building was fun..
    I just built the F-16 it's waiting on a motor (I have a few on order and began buying in bulk)
    plans on the coffee table being cut out are the F35 and a giant SR71 waiting for the specs on the new monsterjet from grayson, I have too many new projects mixed in with weekly repair and maintenance of about 11 flying aircraft

tried out FPV...and now I am broke as I wait for everything in the mail to turn my bixler into a gps guided long range fpv super machine...also picked up some cheap 900mhz systems for fast parkflying with fpv, spent all evening building my ground station out of a computer, it's going to be awesome...

my entire house is now a RC airplane workshop...thank god my girl is in toronto finishing up school..but she still supports me, she thinks it's pretty cool and gives me credit because she realizes this is hard, I have to enjoy this time while I have it...

Hi, I'm Squishy, age 34 and I am an rc airplane addict because of Dave Powers and his stupid videos. I came across them while working in a call center long ago when I had nothing to do, and it looked really easy...today I took a Mig29v1 out for a spin at lunch, was approached by people wanting to buy it, my reply was "have you even flown an rc airplane?" I guess I'm the one making it look easy now...started up a local parkflying club and it's tons of fun to get out and fly with other like minded people...

so yes, thanks Dave, for all the help, the inspiration the thrills and the crashes, I couldn't have done it without you...

4. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Man, so cool to hear, thanks so much guys! Its really nice to hear about the constructive time and relationships that RC brings people. Very good to be a part of helping people's lives be a little bit better.

5. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Top Gun

same here...i get approcahed all the time by people asking to buy my stuff..i just send them here for inspiration!! I've made a couple of really good friends too from this forum..people i go see and fly with all the time..FED05 and RcJetFlyer2 and Tony and Hamburgd are all good dudes and people i've enjoyed hangin with and talking R/C...just awesome!

Dan

6. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Not me. You'll find me standing alone in the middle of an empty industrial park knee deep in goose crap with a cell phone strapped to my head and talking to myself. Nobody around except the cops checking me out. Ha! But I agree that RCPowers is a friendly beginner experience - just take the j20 as an example. AS a rear mount/canard/TV plane it is not right for beginners and Dave and Scott did not waiver even under pressure. Releasing the j20 eb was the right thing to do and will not turn beginners away. I think that the f117 is the least beginner friendly plane and once you can actually launch it it flies like a dream!

Sent from my Htc Thunderbolt

7. dtribby

dtribby Top Gun

*sniff*

8. Argonath

Argonath Top Gun

Well, it has given me something to do with my kids (Oddly my daughter likes to fly the planes too but at 5 and her issues I'm leary of her flying anything other than an airhogs right now).

My Son has got this down pretty good with the airhogs. I have to keep reminding him to keep it in the park as he just flies it higher and higher and I usually have to nab the TX cut power and glide it down ...50+ yards away.

I had him out with me flying the CF-105 last weekend and he asked if he could fly my beloved CF-105. So I broke down and let him. We now have a new project to build a new CF-105. We learned that foam planes at max throttle and brick walls are a BAD combination.

Trashed a Lipo on impact but everything else survived (Drawback to having the LIPO in the nose).

So My son is now learning fine motor control, how to respect an exacto knife and how to build a foam plane. He bugs me all the time to go back to it but we don't have the time to spend a lot of it just building (much to his dislike) but he's doing good with it with a little help from me.

I'm also going to build a CNE for him to fly or some other slow-stick style plane until he gets a better handle on the bigger foamies...

All in all, it's a great experience and had I not stumbled across Dave's videos I would never have gotten back into this with gas planes and the kids at their age for many reasons. The foam planes are inexpensive to build and half the fun is building it anyway.

I wholly agree though. Thanks Dave, Scott and Val for your effort and passion in this.

9. Mertz42

Mertz42 Cadet

I have to agree, I started out flying at a local park learning to crash, rebuild, crash, rebuild, and then finally flying. I have built several F-35's F-22's and F-15's. They are a very stable design. Recently I started going out to a local club, I was at first intimidated because I felt I was not in the same league as these club flyers, they are flying ARF's and I'm flying my F-22. I quickly realized after I started flying at their field that they knew all about RCPowers and knew the plane I was flying. They were all amazed at how stable and fun they are to fly. I know a few of them even got plans for the F22 and F15.

The past 3 years in this forum have been a very enjoyable experience. The knowledge and confidence I have gained learning to fly has been amazing. I fly my F22 around our neighborhood and as a result I have met 6 of my neighbors, they all have flown in the past and have old gas planes in their sheds that they should get out and make repairs to but they want to know about my plane, where did you get it, how much did it cost? When I tell them about RCP they are amazed. I even had the local high school engineering instructor stop buy and ask If I would like to come by the school and talk to his students about the planes.

So thanks to Dave, Val, Scott & everyone else on the forum. Every time I fly and someone asks where did I learn that and how long does it take to fly like that I just smile and think of everyone that has helped me along the way.

Guy

10. ScottLott

ScottLott Administrator

Thanks a bunch guys! It's good to know we're helping so much, and it's good to HEAR we're helping so much!

11. dtribby

dtribby Top Gun

No prob man! I just knocked out 2x gliders, and now I'm going to slap an F22 V2 together and see how that works out. This really is the friendliest forum on the web.

Great work you guys!!

12. LukeWarm

LukeWarm Top Gun

Dave hired Scott because he has skills he thought would benefit his company and his customers. He didn’t know it, but at the same time he got me. I have always been very supportive of both of my sons. When Scott moved to Oregon, it was hard to see him go. I really believe in Dave, and his commitment to his family (all of you). It’s like being a preacher; most of you have no clue as to the long hours a preacher puts in, and Dave’s congregation has thousands of members. I have never personally spoken to Dave so I will say my peace here: thank-you for giving my son a job he enjoys so much, and thank-you for your commitment to excellence and us.

Maybe I’m on to something. He can get ordained and we can call him Reverend Dave.

13. Grey

Grey Ace Pilot

Sounds like you've got a pair of lucky sons. Well done!

14. Argonath

Argonath Top Gun

I thought RCP already was a cult... dang it. Now I have to go and redo all my tax forms and rethink my religious claims on them ;)

15. chachaya

chachaya Cadet

So I'd like to share a slightly different story. It starts out like every other one...one day on YouTube...well I saw the wild hawk video and knew I had to get one. I had already liked planes but that was the extent of my interest in them. Once I got the wild hawk, I got really good at flying and before no time, I was building flying wings which I had designed myself. This was all happening in the summer before I became a senior in high school so college and my major was on my mind. I thought I was interested in business but I realized what I was doing in my basement was nothing short of aerospace engineering. I am now a freshman at the university of Maryland and am proudly an aerospace engineering major...all because of Dave. Thank you.

Edit: totally forgot I wrote this in my signature

16. Yea, thanks rcpowers... It wasn't the rcp videos that got me interested in rc, but they helped me get into it. I saw the acipiter badius vid and had to get one.

Without this forum I'd be nowhere.. The grouchy guys at rcgroups made rc sound hard when I was asking basic questions. But then I found out rcp had a forum. Within I think 30 posts I was up in the air already with a scratchbuild :)

17. Keegles

Keegles Rookie

I've been involved with aircraft since before I could walk. I live in the experimental aircraft capitol of the world so there are a lot of nuts around. I learned about theory of flight at a young age and wanted nothing else than to be a f-15D pilot. In middle school I saved up for a rc plane (at which time there were only gas) went to the hobby store and found out I was about $400 short so I quickly gave up. A few years later I saw on ebay a electric p51 but it was hundreds of dollars and barely flew with how heavy it was. Then I started playing with foam and electric motors, alot of the early ideas were just foam planes with dc motors and 9 volts that had no control system then I got into thrust differential. Never bought a store bought plane at all. Once dave put up the school bus video I was hooked! Videos were intriguing and hilarious and I realized I wasn't the only geek out there putting stuff together with foam. Guys at the LHS thought my ideas were hilarious and stupid because it wasnt gas or glow but now all that LHS carries is foamies. So dave made me realize that there were other geeks out there like myself but I really wish he would go back in front of the camera again and stop reading off a script.