Su-34 V4 “SUPER TRAINER”

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, May 15, 2014.

1. The Su-34 V4 “SUPER TRAINER”

“My first build”
    My first build. Greatly enjoyed your plans, forum and the master parts list for a newbie to get started! Thanks Dave! I appreciate everyone's input as well! Waiting for some electronics and motor to show up and then will finish it.
    By EricR | September 1, 2014 | Full review here

“My kids are into it as well”
    I'm fairly new to RC but RCpowers got me hooked as well. What I find terrific is that my kids are into it as well. 8 and 10 years old but they love it. My boy has been watching the RCPOWERS videos and asked me if he could build the SU30 while I build the SU34. Of course, nothing else would make me happier. He is mesmerized by the fact that the sheet of foam turns into an airplane. What a fantastic way to spend time. A hobby which teaches so many new and interesting skills. Thank you guys!
    By fmt2bx | August 26, 2014 | Full review here

POWER SYSTEM
    Motor:
    ESC:
    Prop:
    Battery:
    Servos:
    Radio:
    2200kv, 30A max
    30A
    6x4 APC
    11.1v, 1600mAh, 20C
    2-6 metal gear
    2.4 GHz 6CH
    SPECIFICATION
    Scale:
    Length:
    Wing Span:
    Wing Area:
    Weight:
    Channels:
    1/18
    44” (112.6 cm)
    32” (82 cm)
    4.1 sq ft (0.38 sq m)
    16-26 oz (450 - 740 g)
    3-6

Get Started Building

PLEASE NOTE: Our cart software has been updated January 2017.
    This particular product will not appear in your RCPowers “My Downloads” section.
    For faster service, a direct download link will be instantly emailed to you upon purchase.

kfmiller217, JLTigger, Eddie and 5 others like this.
  2. JohnFromOz shows us the repairs he did after 2 good crashes from one crazy flight!

Dennys comes up with a great paint scheme to create high visibility and calls his the "HV-34"!

“I am so hooked”
    Maiden flight this evening and the only thing I can say is, WOW!!!! What an amazing flyer, so smooth, incredible slow flight ability, straight as an arrow. I was impressed by my first RCP build, the F18 but this SU34 is such a nice, almost relaxing airplane. Beautiful shapes and glides even better than the F18. I am so hooked. Anyway, if you haven't flown it, I would strongly suggest you do. Cheers
    By fmt2bx | September 4, 2014 | Full review here

“This is a brilliant plane!”
    This is a brilliant plane! It flies great, tracks like a missile and looks brilliant in the air. It does everything so effortlessly it makes me look good! I flew it with both elevons-only and aileron/elevator set-ups and both were terrific. It flies so well that it tends to 'float' a little during landings but that can easily be managed. I have both flaperons and spoilers installed which I'll test during landings in a later flight. The Su-34 V4 is also forgiving, as you'll see from the video of the maiden flight! AUW came in at 24.5 ounces or 695 grams including battery and paint. Set-up is 6x4 prop, 2200kv motor, 2200mah battery. This is one of those planes that is simply a joy to fly. I can't wait to get her back into the air.
    By JohnFromOz | July 18, 2014 | Full review here

JLTigger, noga and Flybyknight22 like this.
  3. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Almost the same span as my Su-34 90cm VS 82cm
    I think I will put two motors on this plane.

4. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Top Gun

crazy no one else has built this yet...it is a terific platform....guess i will fly solo for a while ;) lol

DavePowers, RobDavis and F1wanabe like this.
  5. gm3

gm3 Top Gun

I wonder how this plane would do with a ntm 2700 and 6 servos, hmmm.

Flybyknight22 and RobDavis like this.
  6. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Top Gun

it will take he 6 servos no problem..but becasue of it's size i don't think going overboard on a motor would do much for it....if you do a 2700 i'd go with the KF's for strength for sure..and do ailerons and rudders for sure....plenty of space for the servos....i'm not a rudder guy but even i think this plane needs it..i may add them over my break...

Flybyknight22 and RobDavis like this.
  7. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Top Gun

reposting my build here for reference...

Hey Guys....decided my first build of the V4 series would be the SU-34. I talked with Scott about it and his assertion that the plane would be a sweetheart to fly and an easy build is what spurred me on to do it. I have all of the Mig-29’s so wanted to step away from those and build something new. I have a SU-35 and a SU-37 in my fleet already..so wanted to see how this was.
    I will document my build thoroughly in an attempt to help anybody build this plane with success. I am doing elevons only to start to streamline the build and the setup. My electronics will be a 2826 2200kv motor, 6x4 prop and a 40 amp esc. Using 2 metal gear servos for this as well.
    So...as soon as the plans were released I was over at Staples printing them out!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I use the bigger depron sheets from Grayson Hobby...think they are 27x39...so this looks like it will only use 2 sheets..perfect!
    I cut out all the paper templates...and started cutting the foam.
    Wing plates first...(I like to build the entire wing as one piece..but this plane is BIG..so it will not fit on one sheet..oh well!)
    [​IMG]
    I glued the plates together (use tape on one side to hold them..and then glue in the middle) then added my 3mm carbon spar. I just V notch the foam and lay it in there and hot glue it.
    [​IMG]
    I cut out the nacelles next...but after a quick dry fit I found I didn’t like how long they were..so I trimmed them down by about an inch..and made the angle of them steeper at the back for elevon movement..I modded the elevon design as well (more about that later)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also decided to cut out the 3D nose and Hatch
    [​IMG]
    I cut the elevons away from the main plate...and then split them apart
    [​IMG]
    And then dry fit the nacelles to match it all up at the back.
    [​IMG]
    I then did the score and fold thing on the 3D nose and did a dry fit..you can see I attached the elevons also with the standard tape hinges and bevels...I like this setup for this plane...now what you can also see is my elevon cuts...the plans call for them to be cut close to straight across...I did mine more Mig-29 Style...so they rotate down for more bite. Scott says they work fine as is....but I decided to do this anyway.
    [​IMG]
    Nose back off...you can see how high this plane sits on its nacelles....and the result? NO PROP STRIKE ON LANDING! SWEET!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Can see my elevon cuts here better...
    [​IMG]
    My electronic setup started....2 servos only elevon setup...control horns as indicated on the plans...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Building the 3D nose....long piece glued into the bottom of the nose...
    [​IMG]
    Horizontal piece glued in..I found mine to be a little wide in the plans..and wouldn’t allow the sides to close in enough to fit the hatch..so I trimmed it width wise a bit...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Started gluing the lower folded sides...then went onto the rest...
    [​IMG]
    I decided to cut my hatch and top plate up into 3 pieces..easier for me to glue and shape that way...so here is the beginning fit of the top part...
    [​IMG]
    Then sheeted In the nose...all glued up!
    [​IMG]
    Hatch done and hinged...
    [​IMG]
    And the rest of my electronics laid out...Velcro is in (the plans call to do the Velcro first on the bottom of the floor of the nose..DO THAT FIRST! Lol – was a bit of a pain to add it later... J
    [​IMG]
    I added the vertical stabs....glued the motor mount in (hard to show pictures of it) used 5 minute epoxy for the ply motor mount to plane connection..then ran the rest of my stuff..decided to mount the ESC down on the bottom...for bets cooling..but plenty of space up top to run it....
    Fully Built Pics!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Can see my ESC on the bottom here..glued it directly to the plane and made a little cradle for it...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now..the plans give you the ability to do KF’s..for weigh and simple build I decided not to do them. But..when the plane was done I held it up by the wings and they flexed a LOT..so...as an addition I added some flat 6mm ply strips along the trailing edges of the wings....and then ran some extra 2mm carbon tube under the leading edges of the wings and pushed them through the front of the nacelles to tie them into the structure. I also added a short dowel between the nacelles right in front of the ESC to tie the fuselage together and strengthen it. If you don’t do KF’s I would recommend some kind of strengthening for it..or the wings may flew too much and break. If you glue in KF’s and tie them into the 3d nose you should be fine strength wise.
    This is a big Sucker! Size next to my Mig-29 V1 EDF....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Did a little bit of painting on this..just to make it stand out...my 5 year old picked the colors and scheme ;-)
    [​IMG]
    And some pics of it in flight!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Walk around video and flight report and video to come!
    Any questions please hit me up.....this plane is NOT a top speed plane..if you are building it for speed you should build something else. Scott designed this plane to be a simple build..have good characteristics and a floater. And it is!
    Dan

8. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

Dan, wow man, great build and tweaks.
    Its definitely the big boy of the bunch.
    Going to be a simple floater, or big platform to load up.
    Very cool to see how you build and fly it.

captarmour and RobDavis like this.
  9. ericma1

ericma1 Airman

ok guys so got to fly my su-34 all i can say WOW it fly's as advertised with a ntm 2700 with a 6x3 prop it kicks it right into the air and slow flys like a boss for newbies like me an i loved how stupid easy it was to land

10. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

11. ericma1

ericma1 Airman

im not shore about weight i used hot glue to piece it together so im imagining its on the heavier side and i used a thunder power 1800mah tucked up almost against the fire wall i had it a tad nose heavy

F1wanabe and RobDavis like this.
  12. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

This plane will be able to take a ton of weight so I'm curious to see how heavy guys are making it. My guess is you're around 25oz with the ntm and 1800. I bet you still have decent wing loading at 40 plus oz as long as you have the thrust! This is a bug plane!

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/gstrysky

13. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

I do not doubt it Greg :), My FRC SU Fullback, can easily take 42 Oz with an NTM 2200kv on 3s

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Yes, beautiful fullback, Airflow!

Airflow likes this.
  15. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Yes! LUV IT! The Su-34
    Sexy, like a shapely woman's body.:rolleyes:

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  16. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

17. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Look it's done, The previous post.:D

18. apklug

apklug Airman

Do you have video of this flying?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

19. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

I just think I have a short launch clip, I'll check it out.

20. ericma1

ericma1 Airman

yea buddy !! not quit but very close

kwebersole, Kiko12 and Airflow like this.