Su-30 V4 “Hovering Parkjet”

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, May 15, 2014.

1. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Thanks so much for the kind words and support XDmToter, humbling and much appreciated.:)

I was thinking some more about your packing tape idea, I might just give it a try on the KF4 airfoils of my "beater" Su-30 V4 to see how that works out. In the picture, am I correct in observing the tape on the wing of the orange and blue plane is running lengthwise along the wing?

Cheers,

Scott

Wildthing likes this.
  2. XDmToter

XDmToter Ace Pilot

Scott, That is correct. Also, I start applying the tape at the rear of the plane and work my way forward. That way, the edge of the small overlap (about 1/8") is toward the rear. Don't know if that matters much, but it seemed like a good idea to me...

bogusbandit56, Wildthing and e3_Scott like this.
  3. XDmToter

XDmToter Ace Pilot

Speaking of alternatives to the traditional KFm4 Airfoil, My friend Ken and I have had good luck with the airfoil he used on his SR-71 model.

CAD Pictures can be found here:
    https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=31281051&postcount=418

And our discussion of the airfoil design are here:
    https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=31289807&postcount=424

Lgel, bogusbandit56 and e3_Scott like this.
  4. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

I was thinking the same thing, makes a lot of sense, hopefully help the airflow from lifting the tape at higher speeds that way. Thanks again, I think I will apply some to my "beater" Su-30 V4 to get a feel for it when I can. I hope to get the "speed demon" above out for it's maiden flight on Monday. After bench testing the King Kong 6040 prop and seeing that it had good results on the GepRC motor, I might do some comparison flights with that prop and the 6x3 EMP on 3S first to see if in fact there is any difference in the air.

Thanks again:)

Cheers,

Scott

Wildthing likes this.
  5. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Had this little steed out for some thrashing about today :)
    2018-06-14 08.51.15.jpg

Some video footage on 3S and 4S

As mentioned in the video, my GPS datalogger seems to be acting up, I had it onboard for 6 different flights on 3S clocking speeds ranging anywhere from 69 to 159 mph, so I don't think it was working properly today. I also tried a couple flights using the RC Speedo app on my phone and it spent more time logging speeds based on echos off the trees, so I will have to work on that a bit more.

Despite that, my "spidey senses" tell me because of my choice of "finish" that although I saved a half an oz in weight, I perhaps increased the drag and made it slower...DOH!!! I will shoot another "table talk" video discussing some of my thoughts on this and the way ahead. Thanks to @XDmToter, @Lgel and @bogusbandit56, I have some ideas for perhaps tinkering with this air frame or building another "stripped down" version with even more "outside the box" modifications and changes. Anyway, lots to think about. In the meantime, fortunately this plane is really rock solid and dialed in, even more so than the last speed demon, so whether I get this one to 100 mph or not, it is a true joy to fly:)

Cheers,

Scott

6. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Some very interesting info on props and motor set up`s, Scott.
    I am very impressed with the stability and speed you are attaining with such modest motors, all those years tweaking are certainly paying off now:)

7. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Shot a video discussion my thoughts on what I did wrong with my 100 mph project and what I might do in the future once I can get some way to clock the speed somewhat accurately. Unfortunately I don't have telemetry as an option with my transmitter/receiver combo, but I will keep plugging away to see if I can get my GPS data logger working properly or a bit better setup using the RC Speedo app on my phone. As mentioned in the video, until that happens, I will put this project on the back burner for a bit, enjoy flying this plane and probably build another "stripped down" version of the Su-30 later this summer to really push the speed envelope even further:)

Cheers,

Scott

SukhoiLover, bogusbandit56 and Lgel like this.
  8. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

You didn`t have to make a video Scott, I wouldn`t have been offended if you sent me an email saying "Ian please stop clogging my inbox with crazy suggestions" LOL:D
    Buuuttt I do have this idea of not attempting the ton run in cold damp weather when the air becomes denser.
    As an ex golfer I know a golf ball travels much further in warm dry air than cold damp air, maybe some thing also to consider for the ton attempt:)

SukhoiLover, Wildthing and e3_Scott like this.
  9. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

No worries, Ian, all suggestions welcome:) In my part of the world, we are moving into much warmer, drier weather in the coming weeks/months, so air density shouldn't be a problem, although heat for the components might be more of an issue. Just thought I would share my experience/mistakes for others to perhaps learn from. Although I don't imagine the friction drag caused by raw foam is much of an issue at the speeds I normally fly on 3S, as the speed increases it certainly comes into play as I push the envelope further and further on 4S.

Cheers,

Scott

10. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

To put in perspective the top speed you already have reached, the recent FunRacer from Multiplex, 920 mm ws, 1160 kv motor, a 10x7 prop, with a single vertical stab, profile wing, clocks near 100 mp/h with a 3S 2200 mah battery.

Your plane is really fast.

Cheers.

SukhoiLover, Wildthing and e3_Scott like this.
  11. Kiko12

Kiko12 Ace Pilot

12. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

On gliders a little reflex on ailerons speeds them a lot. May be you could try with caution this solution on your speed demon.

Would also diminish zooming under speed.

Cheers.

bogusbandit56 and Wildthing like this.
  13. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Thanks, as I mentioned in my last video in post #1597, the next version of the Su-30 V4 I build for pure speed won't have ailerons, just elevons only for lightness and simplicity.

Cheers,

Scott

bogusbandit56, Lgel and Wildthing like this.
  14. How about turning it into a pusher, no foam blocking the prop wash?

Lgel and homey666 like this.
  15. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Not a big fan of that setup, the 100 mph is either going to happen with the prop in slot, or it won't, either way I will have a pretty fast plane.

Cheers,

Scott

Lgel, homey666 and Wildthing like this.
  16. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

As I saw very clearly wing flutter with my foam gliders, I had the curiosity of searching on the subject.

This problem is not solved by adding a few carbon spars on a wing or a stab, foam by luck is a damping material!

Good luck with your speed record.

Cheers.

17. That's some serious flutter. :D

SukhoiLover likes this.
  18. SukhoiLover

SukhoiLover Ace Pilot

Well, Daaa-yaaammm. Those were wagging so much they looked like excited dogs!

Wildthing likes this.
  19. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Took a bit of a break from the forum, been enjoying some pretty good flying weather in my part of the world, so that has been my focus for the last month or so :) I had this little steed out today, just surpassed the 200 flight mark as it is such a blast to fly and I have been using it to evaluate the FlySky FS-i6 transmitter since until recently I only had one AFHDS 2A receiver for the FS-i6, so this plane seemed a logical choice. If you would like, you can read about my experiences and lessons learned thus far with this inexpensive yet very capable transmitter https://www.rcpowers.com/community/threads/flysky-fs-i6-transmitter-upgrade-thread.22403/
    2018-08-17 09.18.46.jpg
    As I have mentioned in previous posts, I was a bit "late to the party" with the Su-30 V4, but have been having a blast with it since I built my first over a year ago now I think. Although I built probably twice as many versions and had twice as many flights on the Mig-29 V4, I would have to say that the Su30 has now become my favorite of all the RC Powers V4 planes (I've only built the Mig-29, F-18 and Su30).

Very easy to build, takes modifications well, has a very broad flight envelope from very slow and high alpha flight to very fast, it stays stable and true throughout. Even shrunk down considerably to a 24.5" wingspan and at about 18.3 oz with a 2200 3S battery like the one in the picture above, it stays very stable and flyable in 10 mph wind conditions. Certainly a great all round plane for my flying preferences and environment. :)

Cheers,

Scott

homey666, bogusbandit56 and Wildthing like this.
  20. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

A little flight footage of my Su-30 V4 to celebrate 200+ flights:) A very near miss between park jet and my cranium around 2:45...;)

Cheers,

Scott

Lgel, TomMonton and Wildthing like this.