Su-30 V4 “Hovering Parkjet”

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, May 15, 2014.

1. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

My modified 85% Su-30 V4 is ready to "slip the surly bonds of earth" :)
    2017-11-15 07.00.12.jpg
    2017-11-15 07.00.38.jpg
    2017-11-15 07.01.07.jpg

Since this will be a bit of a "beater" plane for winter flying and I wanted to keep it simple and light, I put a magic marker "paint job" on it which adds no weight, but should still allow me to track the plane well in the sky. Plus, as it fades, "touch ups" can be done quickly and easily :)

I ended up at 18.9 oz/532 gr with a 2200 3S battery.

Wing plate and fuselage are made with DTF, nacelles and vertical stabs from MPF and the elevons from Depron.

In addition to leaving off the canards and adding about 3/8" to the leading edge of the wing, I ended up trimming down the elevons quite a bit, probably by about 25% in total surface area. I think I'll still have plenty of control surface to move the plane around, but hopefully the drag will be reduced as I reduced the "span" by about 2" over what it would have been.

I'll start off with the FR2205 2550 Kv quad racing motor from RC Timer, Master Airscrew 6x4x3 prop. Although I could use a 30A ESC with this motor/prop combo, I opted to go for a 40A ESC as I might experiment with some different motors and props, so easier just to leave an ESC in there that can handle just about any motor/prop combo I might plan on using.

I used 9 gr servos for the elevons, 5 gr servos for the ailerons and rudders, some old HXT servos I had laying around.

Oddly enough, the last two planes I did with a magic marker "paint job", my old trusty F18 V3 and my modified Su27 V5 both lasted over 300 flights until I finally retired them for parts, so who knows how long this one will be around :)
    300th flight.jpg
    2016-06-27 13.08.39.jpg

Hope to maiden within the next week or so :)

Cheers,

Scott

2. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

I had this little beauty out today for it's maiden flight and initial dialing in :)
    2017-11-16 09.38.36.jpg

Some flight footage and discussion on the build in this video

Plane flew very well right from the first launch, I ended up with my CG about 5/8" ahead of where it is on the plans. Since my CG was about that far ahead of the plans on my first build, I used that as a reference point when I placed my servos which you can see here. From left to right are the elevon, rudder and aileron servos, the toothpick indicates where my CG ended up.
    2017-11-16 16.06.04.jpg
    I have some pretty crazy throws in the pitch, at 2" of travel about twice what I normally use, but in the small amount of high alpha practice I did, it was plenty to hold the nose up nice and high without needing any flaps or spoilerons. As I practice that more, I will hopefully get a bit of video of it at a later date as my "high alpha thumbs" need a lot of work, but that is one of the reasons I built this plane.

It really moves along well at this size and weight with the RC Timer FR2205 2550 Kv motor and Master Airscrew 6x4x3 prop. I think this will be a good setup for planes of this size and good for high alpha. I seem to remember Dave Powers playing around with 3 bladed props shortly after this plane was released, so I'll continue with this setup for awhile.

I also did not show that I had reinforced the bottom of the battery bay as paperless dollar tree foam can be a bit flexible and I wanted this area to stay strong and be able to withstand numerous battery changes. I used a strip of mesh drywall tape and smoothed on a thin layer of glue using some scrap foam, nice and strong now :)
    2017-11-16 16.13.12.jpg

Just a blast to fly, look forward to lots more fun with this plane through the winter and beyond :)

Cheers,

Scott

3. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

I had this little beauty out for a serious "thrash fest" today :)
    2017-11-17 10.51.14.jpg
    I wanted to share some measurements today if you might be considering building a smaller Su30 V4. I still have about 6 and 3/4" of prop slot right where the prop is on this shorter quad racing motor. I simply opened the prop slot out to where the outside of the nacelle runs to the back of the plane.
    2017-11-17 15.12.01.jpg
    I'm thinking you could probably go down to 80% quite easily and still be able to fit a 6" prop in there, which would give you a wingspan of 24", with a little quad racing motor, that would be a little rocket :)

Or go even smaller for indoor flight and use a mini quad motor with a 4 or 5" prop :) Anyway, enough of those ideas, I might be building another before too long if I keep talking myself into it :)

I spoke in the video above about reducing the elevons down, measured from tip to tip, it is about 17 and 3/4", still about 1" wider than if you wanted actual scale dimensions.
    2017-11-17 15.13.24.jpg
    It certainly helps reduce the drag which if using a quad style motor is important I have learned as they don't quite have the "grunt" that a standard 2212 2200 Kv motor does, but are much lighter. I still have plenty of elevon authority for high alpha and moving the plane around. I'm sure even if you went elevons only this would still be plenty of control surface to move the plane around well.

After more flying today, this size wingspan is well suited to experimenting with a single quad racing motor and 6" prop on 3S. It certainly has lots of speed and acceleration to do just about anything I ask of it. I can't give you any idea yet how this size and weight handles the wind, I saw about 5 mph winds once in awhile today and it was fine. When I get a chance to fly in a bit more wind, I'll report back on how it went. Without the canards and KF4 I think it would be a bit more stable in the wind, at least in my experience :)

Anyway, just passing on some lessons learned :)

Cheers,

Scott

SukhoiLover, homey666 and Wildthing like this.
  4. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

I had this little beauty out for a good "thrash about" yesterday :)
    2017-11-20 12.50.28.jpg
    I was using it to test a 6x4 APC gas prop on a 2212/6 2200 Kv motor setup, so I gained a little bit of weight, current flying weight is now 19.6 oz/555 gr with a 2200 3S battery.
    2017-11-21 06.35.25.jpg

Here is some flight video testing that motor and prop.

Although it was relatively calm during the video, as time went on, the wind did pick up a bit, to about 12-15 Km/h (7-9 mph) which is the strongest wind conditions in which I have flown this smaller (85%) Su-30 V4. It handled this wind quite well, I never felt like I was just surviving in the wind, the occasional "bobble", but I was still able to do all the aerobatics, etc pretty easily like I would be able to in a calmer wind. This makes me happy as I was worried at this smaller size it might be a "calm day" park jet only, but it seems to be doing well thus far :)

The extra little bit of weight did seem to help it's presence in the air combined with having a bit more "grunt" with the 2212 2200 Kv motor compared to the smaller quad motor I was running before. I'm not sure if it is any faster with this prop and motor combo, but it moves along nicely and the two bladed prop does seem to give a bit better acceleration :)

Cheers,

Scott

SukhoiLover and Wildthing like this.
  5. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Some video of some of the "thrash session" I had with my modified Su-30 V4 today. I will have more details on how I felt this prop and motor combo worked out compared to some of my other setups I have tested recently in the Parkjet motor testing thread later today or tomorrow :)

Cheers,

Scott

Wildthing likes this.
  6. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Awesome, Scott! It's my next build. I'm going 80%. I've loved this RCP build from day 1. My old one was poorly built and underpowered but I've changed a bit in 2 years!

Cheers,

Peter

Wildthing and e3_Scott like this.
  7. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Peter -

Excellent, it should really rock at 80%, but still maintain all the stability features of the full size one. I was "late to the party" to build this plane even with my first build. I have been having a ton of fun with it and it makes a great test bed for different props and motors as once I have it dialed in, I don't have to be stressed about flying it, I can just concentrate on what the prop and motor combo is doing to the performance.

Looking forward to seeing your finished build take to the air :)

Thanks as always for your kind words and support! :)

Cheers,

Scott

Wildthing likes this.
  8. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Just printed 80 and it looks a bit too small so have gone to 85 and I think that's optimum!

Peter

Wildthing, FlyteTime and e3_Scott like this.
  9. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Hi Peter, how do you change the scale on the pdf file? Is it done through the printer? I tried to scale one up on my printer and couldn't figure out how to do it. I did a search and found a member that said it's done in the printer settings but I can't find that on my particular printer.

Wildthing likes this.
  10. SukhoiLover

SukhoiLover Ace Pilot

Might be in a tab called, "preferences" that should pop up on your computer screen when you select "print." You should be able to scale there. Some also have a window that asks if you want to "print to fit," "full size," or "custom." Go to custom and just put in the % you want and go nuts.
    Or you might be able to save it to a memory stick and take it to an office supply store where they could print you one at whatever scale you desire.
    Good luck and fly safely.

Wildthing likes this.
  11. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Thanks Sukhoi, the options on the printer are very limited so Kinkos will be my best option I suppose.

12. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Ya, so I select the custom scale button and type in the percentage.
    I only have these print options on my laptop and desktop, not on my tablet or phone.

Peter

Wildthing likes this.
  13. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Thanks homey for the input.

Wildthing and homey666 like this.
  14. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

FlyteTime,I'm pretty sure if you try to up the % scale and you are printing it out tiled version you will find the lines will be running of the page loosing some of the print.I did that once,that's how I know.You might end up tapeing the pages together just butted up agaist each other.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    FlyteTime likes this.
  15. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Well someone is using their head for something other than hanging their hat on, lol. I never would've thought of that until I tried it. Did not think it through well enough. The print shop is the answer. :) Thanks again.

jimbosflyin likes this.
  16. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

FT,I think what I did to scale up my Mirrage 2000 will work.Try this...use the full page version and when you press print and your print options page comes up,scale it up in the scale box and then posterize it,that option should be there also.It will then show you how many pages you will have and will be able to print it out at your scaled up size.Hope this helps.

FlyteTime and homey666 like this.
  17. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Aaah, you are on top of your game my friend. I bet that will work. Thanks for helping me.

18. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

No problem bro,it drove me out of my mind before I figured it out.:cool:

FlyteTime and homey666 like this.
  19. You should have a "poster" option , if so you don't require tiled plans. Make sure to check off tabs and cut marks and usually there is a spot to give what % you want.

Flybyknight22 and homey666 like this.
  20. Grantman

Grantman Top Gun

Dunno if anyone's still flying these, I really liked the two I built (100% & 75%), so two more on the bench. Both 150%, 800-1000w, one elevons and ailerons only, the other with all surfaces including split canards.
    20180304_110759[1].jpg

Wildthing and SukhoiLover like this.