Su-30 V4 “Hovering Parkjet”

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, May 15, 2014.

1. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

haha its all good my friend just thought you were doing top secret stuff haha

2. Pinakoza

Pinakoza Airman

Yes keeping it little secret from my wife ;-) (lol)

3. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Managed to get out for my first flying session of 2017, so this little beauty was put through it's paces for several flights:)

2017-01-20 10.20.13.jpg

Today was the first time I had flown this plane in any sort of wind, for about half the session it was up around 8-10 mph and the Su-30 V4 handled it very well. There was of course the odd bobble now and then and I had to be careful not to get too slow turning crosswind, but overall it is certainly not a "calm day only" plane in my hangar:)

It was the first time I flew it with this new paint scheme, it showed up quite well against the white clouds and blue sky, not quite as well against the darker clouds and the trees, but nothing that scared me that I might lose sight of it or orientation, so I'm pleased with how it worked out:cool:

Cheers,

Scott

4. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Awesome SU-30 built with Indonesian Air Force scheme and decals, Scott Love to see any video of it if available, as always

Parkflyers International Parkjets

My Scratchbuilding Journey

Google+

SukhoiLover, Wildthing and e3_Scott like this.
  5. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Thanks, Bimo:) Hope to have some video next week some time. It was the first day of good weather and many of us being able to get to the field as the road was not in good shape with snow and ice for a few weeks, so it was a bit crowded and noisy for filming, but as soon as I can, I will shoot some video:cool:

Cheers,

Scott

6. I really like that paint scheme, looks great.

SukhoiLover and e3_Scott like this.
  7. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Thanks, Jeff.:)

Cheers,

Scott

SukhoiLover and Wildthing like this.
  8. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Managed to get out and shoot some flight video of my modified Su-30 V4 with it's new paint scheme:) Video is dedicated to the A2R children and their families of Jakarta, Indonesia, wishing you a safe, happy and prosperous 2017:)

Cheers,

Scott

jimbosflyin and Wildthing like this.
  9. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

A nice frosty, but sunny and calm day, temp -7C/19F, but still great for flying, no point in letting fear and common sense hold me back:rolleyes: I reached the 100 flight milestone with my Su-30 V4 today:)

2017-02-02 10.06.50.jpg
    The journey thus far with this plane has been a real blast. I was a bit apprehensive about how this plane would perform as an overall flier as it had been designed and promoted as "the hovering parkjet". Of course I did make a few modifications to suit my flying style, but in my experience if the plane flies well, it is normally because it has very good flight characteristics to begin with. The tweaks I made were to evaluate a few things and to suit how I like to set up my planes and fly them.

I find it to be very agile and aerobatic yet very stable and tracks very true in calm and windier conditions. It can certainly handle just about any wind condition I fly in without any problem, so a really versatile plane for how I like to fly. It is also pretty fast, I'm impressed with how fast it is with the 2212 2200 motor and 6x4x3 MA prop on 3S, so maybe down the line I might even put a little peppier setup on it and see what kind of speed fun I can have:cool:

Like the Su-27 V5, this Su-30 V4 has been a real "sleeper" and has far exceeded my expectations, a real pleasure to fly and another winning design from RC Powers. I was a little late to the party with this plane, but I'm very glad I finally got around to building it:)

Thanks again, RC Powers, another winner:cool:

Cheers,

Scott

10. Kiko12

Kiko12 Ace Pilot

11. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

While the glue is drying on my current Mig-35 project, I decided to start scratching away on my next project, a quick Su30 V4 build :)
    2017-11-04 17.50.32.jpg
    I had the plans printed off at 85% which ended up giving me a 25.75"/654 mm wingspan.

As I did with my first one, I will not use the canards, I added about 3/8" to the leading edge of the wing to help increase the wing area like I did with my first one.

The stock motor location is pretty far forward on the Su30 V4, so I'm not going to bother messing with that, I will build most of the plane (wing plate, KFs, fuselage and internal support from DTF, the nacelles and vertical stabs from MPF and I think I have some scrap Depron to make the elevons so that I don't have to put a bunch of reinforcement in them and weigh the back end down too much to keep it light. I'm just going to use the stock elevons this time, I'm not worried about adding the scale "booms" on this build. I have trimmed off the front area so that I will have a fixed horizontal stabilizer as part of the back of the wing plate. I did have to widen the motor mount area somewhat and I will move the leading edge of the prop slot forward somewhat so I can use the shorter quad style motors I have been experimenting with in this plane.

I have shortened the span of the ailerons to about 60% of the trailing edge of the wing, I just like the feel of this size aileron a bit better.
    2017-11-04 17.50.49.jpg

As I was playing around with my latest F18 V5 project, I realized I wanted something to play around with to work on my high alpha skills now and then. Also, by downsizing even more than my first build, it should be a suitable platform for experimenting with a quad racing motor setup to keep it light since any high alpha will be done when I am blessed with calm winds :)

Cheers,

Scott

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    Wildthing, SukhoiLover and RCUrso like this.
  12. Just on a building streak. :) Should try one at 50% out of 3mm Depron and then put in one of those quad motors. :D :D

e3_Scott likes this.
  13. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

A possibility if the building streak holds out :) Might have to go to a smaller prop to fit in the prop slot. At 85%, I widened out the prop slot as much as I could at the prop slot is about 6 and 3/4". I suspect once all these motors arrive in the mail in the next few weeks hopefully I'll be doing a bit more flying than building :)

Cheers,

Scott

Wildthing likes this.
  14. -22 here this morning so I am not even going to go check the mail. :D :D

Flybyknight22, homey666 and e3_Scott like this.
  15. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Ouch...:(

Wildthing likes this.
  16. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

I managed to get all the parts cut out for my 85% Su-30 V4 project today after finishing up the airframe on my Mig-35 and just letting it sit to cure before final sanding :)
    2017-11-05 17.25.58.jpg
    I did manage to find a piece of scrap Depron big enough to cut out my elevons, nacelles and vertical stabs are made with MPF. After seeing how big the elevons are, I might still trim them down a little bit, I'll sleep on it and look at it again tomorrow.

Like planes with low parts count, cut out is quick. Hope to finish up my Mig-35 in the next day or two, then get going on this project full steam ahead :)

Cheers,

Scott

17. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

After a few days of goofing around bench testing props, flying and other non building activities, I got my nose to the grindstone again on the workbench today with my 85% Su-30 V4.

2017-11-11 15.02.02.jpg

All the surfaces are hinged, reinforcement in, paper trimmed off and sealed where it needs to be on the wing plate, fuselage together. Tomorrow I will get the first bit of sanding done and then start putting the air frame together.

Cheers,

Scott

18. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Minus-Freakin-Twenty TWOOOOO???

Dude! You need to move! :)

It’s 67 F here in the Swamp, might get down in the high 40s later tonight, time to build s Fire :p

Wildthing likes this.
  19. There is always -40 to look forward too. :D :D

Flybyknight22 likes this.
  20. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Here in the swamp and at sea near the arctic circle, when it gets close to -40, I always order my favorite food. I call it a sailors “Happy Meal”.
    54D40B19-12AD-4161-B3AA-E4F5D39EE0B6.jpeg

SukhoiLover and Wildthing like this.