Su-30 V4 “Hovering Parkjet”

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, May 15, 2014.

1. Pinakoza

Pinakoza Airman

Ultimately I bought 2 circular wooden discs from Michaels and carved it in to motor mount using hacksaw blade and files. Motor holes on wooden mount does look little offset, but they matches with the same on metal (X) motor mount. Later I mounted the motor using zip-ties instead of screws. Also removed cello-tapes and replaced it with filament tape for elevator hinges. Going slow and careful, and enjoying it :)

Attached Files:

SukhoiLover, Wildthing and e3_Scott like this.
  2. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Pinakoza -

Very nice job so far.:) Just a question about your prop, are the numbers written on the prop facing forward (i.e. direction of travel)? Perhaps I am not seeing it correctly, but it looks like it might be on with the numbers facing backwards?

A good thing to check as you want optimal thrust from your prop when flying:) Good luck with the rest of the build.

EDIT: Perhaps you have not reached this point in your build yet, you will also want to put some heat shrink or electrical tape on the brass motor connectors, at least the part that will not be plugged into your ESC, otherwise a short circuit can happen easily and cause all kinds of bad things to happen:oops:

Cheers,

Scott

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  3. Pinakoza

Pinakoza Airman

Thanks Scott for your feedback, and for bringing to my attention about the direction of prop :). You are right; the numbers are facing backwards (opposite the direction of travel)! Do I need to make any changes for it?

Also I do have lot of heat-shrink tubing, will cover the exposed portion of motor connectors with it.

4. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Pinakoza -

Yes, you will want to put the prop on so that the numbers on the prop are facing the direction of travel. With these unique prop in slot planes, the prop is mounted differently than if the it was a "tractor" or puller type setup.

The numbers are normally located on the leading edge of the prop blade which is the edge that should be leading the way as the prop spins. Pardon my graphic skills, but hopefully the arrow indicates which direction the prop should spin in this case.

2017-01-18 15.54.03.jpg

Once you have the prop on and anytime you connect the battery, treat it like a loaded gun until the battery is disconnected. In other words, don't point it at yourself or anyone else in the event the prop comes off and don't put your fingers in the prop arc, otherwise you can run into real safety issues:eek:

If when you connect everything and the prop is spinning in the wrong direction, it is a very simple fix. Disconnect the battery first, then swap any two of the three wires between your motor and ESC, this should make the motor spin in the proper direction. Then reconnect the battery and check to make sure it is spinning in the proper direction.

Good luck:)

Cheers,

Scott

5. Pinakoza

Pinakoza Airman

Hello Scott,

I love the way you reply.. Its just like some BEST LIVE BUILDING MANUAL. You are very very thorough and descriptive. Hats off buddy, you make me speechless :). Anyways, in 2-3 hours, once my family goes to sleep, I will connect esc and battery and check everything thoroughly. Herewith attaching the (not so clear) picture of my prop. It reads as 6X4E something!

Pinak

Attached Files:

6. Like Scott said, simple rule is the writing is always facing forward no matter what.

Pinakoza and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  7. That picture shows the letters/numbers facing the rear of the plane. plain and simple take it off and and face the letters forward.

bimoadiprakoso and Pinakoza like this.
  8. Pinakoza

Pinakoza Airman

Ok Wildthing, will do it soon. Thanks :)

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  9. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Just like you Pinakoza, we're all benefiting from priceless guidance from a member of a design house that has been designing the most precise parkjet ever. Scott has been a great teacher, as well as other good NAMC fellows

Simply follow what he has been guiding, then you'll notice it gets easier for you. Guaranteed

This site has great people with great knowledge and competencies to speed up us getting proper and right knowledge to enjoy the hobby

Parkflyers International Parkjets

My Scratchbuilding Journey

Google+

Pinakoza and Wildthing like this.
  10. With the prop on backwards even though it spins the same direction and looks right you will lose 50% thrust

Pinakoza and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  11. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Pinak -

Thank you for your kind words, glad it is helpful:)

Yes, based on your picture, the prop is definitely on backwards, you want the numbers facing the other way.

This video I shot a couple years ago is quite long and detailed and some of the materials and techniques I use are different now. Sorry, some of it is probably quite boring:oops: If you are having trouble falling asleep, it could be a You Tube sleeping pill:rolleyes: If you fast forward to about 1:15:29, I do a fairly detailed section on power setups. Although I don't discuss the motor you are using, in my experience, all the same rules of thumb apply.

Cheers,

Scott

12. Pinakoza

Pinakoza Airman

Thank you Bimoadiprakoso for further introducing Scott to me. Indeed he is great teacher, I can certainly see that :). Tell you frankly? Until I started on this forum, I was knowing only one person - Dave. Sorry for my ignorance, but I was not deeply involved here, but now after knowing all of you, I feel so glad and proud :).

One off the track question... How do you include varieties of emoticons in the post? I can only type colon, dash and closing bracket to create smiley! Am I missing something?

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  13. Pinakoza

Pinakoza Airman

Hello Scott,

Thank you for sharing this video. Its really very descriptive I will soon subscribe your channel :). Also I will change the prop direction tonight.

bimoadiprakoso and e3_Scott like this.
  14. Pinakoza

Pinakoza Airman

Oh ok! I will be careful. Thanks...

Wildthing and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  15. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Hi Pinakoza. Great to know you have made this site as "home"

Well, all emoticons come from my mobile phone as I use my mobike phone mostly, to access this site. I use Tapatalk app as well to make it easier for any notifications. It's quite rare for me using my notebook and computer to access RCP website.

And that's why you'll find many typos on my posts as I use touchscreen to type

Parkflyers International Parkjets

My Scratchbuilding Journey

Google+

Wildthing likes this.
  16. Pinakoza

Pinakoza Airman

Just came to know that I had already subscribed your channel may be months ago :)

17. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Ok, cool, thanks for subscribing:) About the basic emojis, if you look along the top of the window when you are posting, there should be a tool bar with a smiley face, if you click on that, it puts a series of emojis along the bottom of the window where you enter text and then you can click on the one you want when you need to insert one.

If you don't have this toolbar active (sometimes I have lost it when I have been absent from the site in awhile), contact Shannon and she can ensure you get it activated.:)

Cheers,

Scott

18. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Why do you got to wait for everyone to be asleep :)

bimoadiprakoso and Pinakoza like this.
  19. Pinakoza

Pinakoza Airman

Sorry Scott, but I can't see such tool bar! Posting the screen shot here to refer... I tried chrome and ie both!

Attached Files:

Wildthing likes this.
  20. Pinakoza

Pinakoza Airman

Just because in evening time (now), we dine together and watch some TV/movie together. Kids are small so after they sleep, I go to my basement which is my workshop too :)

Wildthing and Nightswatch like this.