Su-30 V4 “Hovering Parkjet”

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, May 15, 2014.

1. SukhoiLover

SukhoiLover Ace Pilot

That plan has the old-style nose. It is a little more work, bu t the trade-off is a more scale-looking nose. Regardless, you'll like how it flies.

Go slow on the build, too. it's more enjoyable and you'll end up with a much better product. Remember, when (not if--ask anyone in here!) you crash, repair is an afternoon away.

Fly safely,

SL

2. Pinakoza

Pinakoza Airman

My Su30 build so far...

Attached Files:

3. Looking good. :)

4. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Looks great. I just love building now that I've done so many. You're gonna love the feeling of tossing something that you built from scratch into the air!

Peter

5. Pinakoza

Pinakoza Airman

Yes, thanks :)

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  6. Pinakoza

Pinakoza Airman

That's true Peter. I have made many quadcopters, and I know how always exciting is the first flight on a new model, though you have done the same on other similar models before. The feel and the smell of a new one is always mesmerizing,

7. Pinakoza

Pinakoza Airman

Thanks SukhoiLover :)

8. Pinakoza

Pinakoza Airman

Going slow on something you like to do is jut like eating your most favorite dish slowly and enjoying its taste for ever :)

9. Pinakoza

Pinakoza Airman

Awesome :)

10. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Thanks very much:)

Cheers,

Scott

11. Pinakoza

Pinakoza Airman

Just completed building body of Su30 :). Right now I have used simple cello tape for hinges, will replace it with strapping tape soon. Will install electronics and accessories soon. Unfortunately I lost plywood motor mount!

Attached Files:

12. Looks great, what are you going to run for your power setup?

SukhoiLover and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  13. Pinakoza

Pinakoza Airman

Thank you Wildthing. Right now I just have 2212-2200kv motor + 30A ESC to run Su30 on. Will it be enough or should I go for bigger 2826-2200kv motor? I am going to fly on elevons only mode using the dedicated mixer.

e3_Scott, Wildthing, homey666 and 2 others like this.
  14. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Hey Pinakoza. Glad you find this scratchbuilding hobby, enjoyable.

That 2212 6T 2200KV motor, rocks! It give better efficiency than turnigy 2826 2200. I could fly my plane for around 15-20 mins with it. I never have any bad experience with it. Go install it on your plane, and enjoy flying. I installed it on my T-50 G2 and it gives me huge pleasures. As for ESCm you could replace it with 40A later on. Just make sure the 30A ESC gets proper cooling to prevent it from getting burnt. I used to place the ESC inside the fuselage, but found out later on that I like to place it underneath the fuselage to keep it cool at its best. It's good also to help the plane getting better vertical balance at that particular place.

Parkflyers International Parkjets

My Scratchbuilding Journey

Google+

Pinakoza, Wildthing and SukhoiLover like this.
  15. SukhoiLover

SukhoiLover Ace Pilot

See--was THAT so hard? Looks great; will fly great. Let us know about the maiden . . .
    SL

Wildthing and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  16. Like Bimo said, that 2212 2200kv motor will do just great. The esc should be fine just check the heat after your flight. I usually had a minimum 35A esc on mine. Cheers and good luck on the maiden.

SukhoiLover and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  17. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Pinakoza -

Just so you aren't confused in future, the 2212/6 2200 and 2826/6 2200 motors are actually the same size. Unfortunately, there is no standardization regarding how vendors label their motors. Some, like Hobby King, use the outside measurements of the "can" (the part that spins) which is 28 mm in diameter and 26 mm long (hence 2826).

2016-11-30 14.46.21.jpg

Other vendors use the dimensions of the stator (the stationary part around which the "can" spins), it is 22 mm in diameter and 12 mm in length (hence 2212).

The 2200 number they have in common is Kv or the theoretical number of rpm per volt applied to the motor. For example, with a 3 cell battery, 11.1 volts x 2200 = 24420 RPM (this is theoretical without a prop attached).

2016-11-30 14.46.44.jpg

With a 6x4 APC prop, you can expect anywhere between 25 to 30 oz of thrust using a 3 cell battery. Quality control and quality of the bearings can sometimes vary greatly even within the same manufacturer, hence why there can be such a difference in performance. In my experience, on average you can expect around 27 oz of thrust with the 6x4 APC prop on 3S.

You can go to this link to read more about my experiences and the performance of this most popular of park jet motors with a variety of props.

Good luck:)

Cheers,

Scott

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  18. Pinakoza

Pinakoza Airman

Wow Scott, that's a great explanation! Thank you for going so deep in to it & sharing a link too. You literally cleared everything in my mind. Otherwise I would have always thought/worried that I am using something under-rated for my airplane than recommended... I have no words what to say!

Right now I have 2200mah 3S 20C Lipo (that's getting old now), planning to get new. Also I have misplaced the motor mount so badly that I am unable to find it! Right now I am trying to figure out some alternative and easy way to mount motor. Else, I might build new one from ply.

Thanks again :)

19. It's a little bit of a pain cutting out the mount but not that bad depending on the tools you have. On the plans is usually a picture of the mount , if you have thrown it out already just go into the tiled version of plans and find the right page and print it at 100% and there is your blue print to glue to some plywood. Make sure when you go to print check off "current view only" otherwise you will have 28 or so pages coming at you. ;)

20. Pinakoza

Pinakoza Airman

Yes, I have preserved that small piece of actual size "mount" plan. Also have proper tools, but feeling bit lazy (lol).

SukhoiLover and Wildthing like this.