Su-30 V4 “Hovering Parkjet”

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, May 15, 2014.

1. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

The video loaded up a little faster than I expected:) Unfortunately, bright sky, white clouds and sun (insert any other excuses here for my mediocre flying...:rolleyes:) don't make for the best visibility of a white plane, but I did what I could:) At one point I think I also called it a Su-34, high on the "buffoonery" scale today, but a great day of flying nonetheless:cool:

During the walkaround, I realized I wasn't holding the plane high enough when I was discussing where my CG ended up. In this picture, where the blue pin is indicates the CG per the plans, the "T" pin shows where my plane balances best.

2016-11-28 17.22.29.jpg

More detailed post flight impressions will probably have to wait until tomorrow:rolleyes:

Cheers,

Scott

lysle42, Nightswatch, Dave748 and 5 others like this.
  2. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Scotty too hotty does it again! Love your flying and mods on this..... and of course, you're throttle punch joy-giggles! Well done.

Peter

lysle42, Wildthing, e3_Scott and 2 others like this.
  3. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Peter -

Thanks so much for the kind words, humbling and much appreciated.:)

Had a great time flying this plane today and getting it dialed in, very pleasantly surprised with it's great stability over such a broad speed envelope. Very nimble and responsive while feeling very balanced in all three axes once I got the CG dialed in right.

From what I saw today, so far two major things I like about this plane are the motor location (almost dead center in the longitudinal axis of the plane) and the ventral fins/vertical stabilizers. Although the fins and stabilizer are probably bigger than scale, they certainly lend great stability in the pitch and yaw axes from what I experienced today.

The RC doctor prescribed far more flying and fun to really put it through it's paces and I am confident I am up to the challenge:cool:

Thanks again!:)

Cheers,

Scott

4. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Before discussing some of the post flight thoughts I have on my modified Su-30 V4, a quick synopsis of my build.

Reduced the plans to 88% on my printer, ended up with about a 27.25" wingspan, a bit off what I wanted, but could just be my cheap printer. After playing around with the elevons and hand drawing the "booms", I ended up at 38.5" for length which is a bit short for true scale dimensions, but I'll take it:)

Build is completely MPF Grade B (actually XPS from RC Foam, but same thing) other than Depron for the elevons and horizontal stabilizer and paperless Dollar Tree foam for the KF4 airfoils.

Elevons have 9 gr nylon gear servos, ailerons and rudders have 5 gr nylon gear servos (the 5 gr servos are something new for me to evaluate on a plane of this size).

My throws as mentioned in the video, elevons 1" of travel one way in both pitch and roll, ailerons 5/8" travel and rudders 3/4" travel. I attached pictures below showing where I held the ruler for reference.

I think most everything else has been covered in my previous posts.

Launch is very uneventful, other than when the pilot executes a bad toss, the plane stays very stable and flies nicely out of my hand at 50-60% throttle.

As mentioned in the video above, I'm very impressed with the stability of the Su-30 V4 across a broad speed envelope. I was comfortably able to fly around at about 30-35% throttle, turning with gentle inputs of roll and rudder. I never felt like it was going to do any crazy tip stalls unless I let the speed bleed off too far in turns.

When accelerating and at top speed, I didn't see any issues with torque roll, speed wobble, the plane just went straight ahead without issue.

Turns are very true and stable, I think the large ventral fins and the slight "toe in" of the vertical stabilizers are really working well on this plane to help with stability in all three axes, especially the pitch and yaw. When I put the plane into a turn or loop or other pitch maneuver, it stayed tracking exactly where I pointed it until I pointed it somewhere else. No bad habits of wandering off track that I saw anyway.

It does at times feel a bit "top heavy", but again I think the ventral fins help with stabilization to prevent it from wanting to flip on it's back prematurely in turns, kind of like a deeper keel on a sail boat that keeps it from flipping over too aggressively. I think the fins do slow the roll down a bit compared to other planes, but a bit more travel in the ailerons kept the rolls crisp and quick.

I found the rolls to be very axial, like the plane was rolling on a rod down the center of the plane.

I found the Su-30 V4 to be very nimble and responsive with very little control input to get it moving in any direction, even with my elevons and ailerons being smaller than stock. I really like how the motor is located in the longitudinal axis of the plane, if I consider the nose of the plane to be 0% and the tips of the "booms" to be 100%, the motor mount is located at 54.5%, so almost right in the middle of the longitudinal axis of the plane, making for a good balanced feel and easy rotation in all three axes.

As shown in my previous post, my CG ended up about 3/4" ahead of stock, but considering I removed the canards and added about 1/2" to the leading edge of the wing, in my experience these changes help explain much of this difference.

I found the stall characteristics to be very predictable, I took it straight vertical several times, chopped the power and it always fell forward, didn't do anything weird like falling over sideways or starting to spin.

Very stable and predictable in a power off glide, landing approaches were smooth and stable, very easy to land this plane, although it was dead calm for all my flights. I did experiment a bit with flaps which I will discuss after some more flight sessions as I get those dialed in. I also need to work a bit more on the rudder throws for intentional slow speed flying and high alpha.

As for my mods, I am pleased with the control surfaces, they are very similar to what I like on most of my Mig/Su planes, I'm just used to the feel and response I get from them. As for my "robust" wing reinforcement plan, if I built it again, I would do it a bit differently as I did still see some wing flex in the last couple inches of the wing in really aggressive pull outs from power dives and loops. I'm still experimenting with what type and layout of reinforcement I like building with MPF, I wanted to experiment with the pieces running down the wing as that is what I have used on the NAMC Mig-35B, but I have only built that plane from Depron. In future, I would run the spar behind the prop slot out as far as I could to get a bit more lateral strength in the wing. Live and learn:rolleyes: Still flies great, I just have to be a little careful on the sticks to keep from shortening my wing too much:eek:

2016-11-25 08.43.21.jpg

For my KF4 airfoils, I went with about 40% of wing chord at the root of the wing and about 35% at the wing tip. Again, these are dimensions with which I am very familiar and give me the stability and locked in feeling I like from KF4 airfoils.

Overall, very impressed with what I have seen thus far. Fortunately I had ideal conditions for a maiden flight and starting the "dialing in" process. I might be able to fly again tomorrow, there is a bit of wind forecast so I will be able to assess how it handles some wind. So I'll keep "wringing it out" and having fun:cool:

Cheers,

Scott

Attached Files:

5. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Awesomely detailed write up. As always I believe no one could match any of your pre to post flight reports

Parkflyers International Parkjets

My Scratchbuilding Journey

6. Awesome, you definitely don't leave any details out, love it.

7. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

@Wildthing and @bimoadiprakoso -

Thanks for the kind words gents, as always much appreciated:)

Cheers,

Scott

8. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Lots of cold, dense air (1 C/34F), not a breath of wind:)
    2016-12-01 08.49.41.jpg

A hot park jet, the field to myself and a box full of batteries...time to turn and burn:cool:

2016-12-01 09.33.48.jpg

Today was a great opportunity to finish fine tuning my Su-30 V4, I took all the trims back to zero and ensured all the surfaces were at dead center with no trim and then flew it again to get the trims sorted out which ended up being less in the roll axis. I have found that after a dozen or so flights with a newly built plane after the hinges get worked in that I might be trimming unnecessarily, so I like to check this and then trim again as/if needed, it often results in me dragging less trim deflection around in my control surfaces which is a good thing.

I actually reduced the throws in the roll axis (both the elevons and ailerons) by 8%, I know this sounds like a goofy number, it just ended up being how much I reduced it in my transmitter, perhaps the surfaces themselves are only travelling 2-3 mm less? I found I was "over rolling" a bit more than I wanted to, so I reduced the response a bit there. I also increased the pitch travel by 10% just to make aggressive pitch maneuvers a little crisper.

Today I played around with the flaps some more and also explored a bit of high alpha flying.

I ended up with about 3/4" deflection in the flaps which helped in very slow flying, more stable than without flaps say down to about 30-35% throttle just flying around level and turning with rudders. I also allowed me to shorten up my landing approach somewhat and have slightly slower/softer landings. Not that the plane was hammering itself into the ground or anything, just fun to experiment.:) However, the 5 gr servos I am experimenting with on the ailerons/flaperons were "protesting" (chattering) somewhat, so I will use flaps sparingly with this setup.

2016-12-01 09.56.48.jpg

I am an exceptionally mediocre high alpha pilot:rolleyes:, but find it fun to play around with once in awhile and being that the Su-30 V4 is touted as "the hovering parkjet" (not that doing that interests me), I gave high alpha a whirl. I could easily hold about 45 degrees angle of attack (AOA) with elevator only, steering with rudders it was very smooth and stable, fortunately with very calm conditions, I never saw much wing rock at all and I suppose I could hold an even higher AOA, but prefer to stay within my skill level.

I did experiment with flaps once or twice during high alpha but found it to be a bit more difficult for my skill level of high alpha. It made turning more "twitchy", without flaps, the rudder response was smoother and more forgiving, at least for my abilities. This is good for me as the less "switchology" I have to worry about while flying, the better, I far prefer the "KISS" principle when flying my planes:rolleyes: This is probably one of the easiest, most stable planes I have flown in high alpha, quite impressive.:)

Even more so today I continue to be impressed with how crisply this plane moves around and how rock solid stable it tracks. It literally goes exactly where I point it (again, dead calm, no wind today) and doesn't wander around until I give it further control input.

Supposed to rain for the next few days, so time to get some paint on her:)

Cheers,

Scott

9. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Stormy days are good opportunities to get some painting done:)

2016-12-02 12.13.02.jpg

I poked around this website for ideas and found this style paint scheme for inspiration which actually was for a demo/promo for the Indonesian Air Force but had Russian Air Force stars on it, so I checked with Bimo to get his input and went with the Indonesian Air Force roundels and fin flash:)

2016-12-02 12.13.25.jpg

2016-12-02 12.13.52.jpg

2016-12-02 12.14.09.jpg
    I added this insignia for the Indonesian Air Force on the electronics bay door.
    2016-12-02 12.14.18.jpg

This black/white/grey camo scheme is a new one for me, so I'm very excited to see how this freshly painted TNI-AU Su-30 flies:cool:

I swapped out the 40A ESC for a 30A ESC to lighten the load a little bit, the motor and prop combo draw about 26A and with the cooler winter weather heat build up shouldn't be an issue.

I'm pleased the paint job added very little to the plane, my AUW with a 2200 3S battery is now 598 gr/21.1 oz which is a little less than I predicted, so happy days!:)

Swa Bhuwana Paksa (Motto from the insignia above according to Wiki translated to mean "Wings of the Motherland")

Cheers,

Scott

SukhoiLover, EricR, homey666 and 2 others like this.
  10. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Hi Scott. What an awesome job on both built and paintjob.

I humbly and gratefully extend you my greatest appreciation for recognizing your built with proposed SU-30 Indonesian Air Force paint scheme and insignia. Feels so honored seeing it on a nicely built RC by a well known fellow in the RC scratchbuilding world.

Again, my endless appreciation for your excellent effort and kindness.

Parkflyers International Parkjets

My Scratchbuilding Journey

Wildthing and e3_Scott like this.
  11. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

My pleasure, Bimo:) Thank you for the kind words, I will try to get some video of it the next time I get a chance to fly:cool:

Cheers,

Scott

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  12. Looks awesome Scott

Shannon, e3_Scott and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  13. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

lysle42, e3_Scott and Wildthing like this.
  14. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Thanks, Jeff:)

Cheers,

Scott

15. Pinakoza

Pinakoza Airman

Finally I bought and downloaded my first plan just now, and even printed it on my printer. Will begin building it soon :). Hope everything goes well...:D

EricR, Shannon, lysle42 and 3 others like this.
  16. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Hi Pinakoza,

I had my first great success with the 30 and it lasted me a year! You'll love how solid the build is and of course, the flight characteristics! This is one of my faves.

Peter

EricR, Shannon, lysle42 and 3 others like this.
  17. Pinakoza

Pinakoza Airman

Thank you Peter for boosting up my confidence. I am sure, I am going to love it :):)

SukhoiLover, Shannon, lysle42 and 2 others like this.
  18. If you are not sure of anything post your question before you make a mistake, wonderful people here that will answer your questions.

Cheers
    Jeff

19. Pinakoza

Pinakoza Airman

Sure, I can see that. Thanks Jeff, I truly appreciate :)

20. Pinakoza

Pinakoza Airman

Tiled plan cut and stitched.. 2017-01-11 23.43.56-1.jpg