Su-30 V4 “Hovering Parkjet”

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, May 15, 2014.

1. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

As many have indicated in their posts, I would calibrate again the ESC, and check that my prop is correctly mounted, letters facing front of plane.

Good luck and Cheers.

2. Beachy

Beachy Rookie

Advice requested

Thanks guys for coming back on this - yes as advised - check prop direction - i now realise - being a pushing action the prop cannot be mounted as per normal as would a pulling action - now feels like alot more power - so will test when the wind drops.

3. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

Doesn't matter if you are pushing or pulling, the prop letters will always face the front of the plane, no matter which way the motor is facing. One of the first tips I learned on this most excellent site. :)

TacticalFlight and Wildthing like this.
  4. Heat

Heat Ace Pilot

30 Amp might be hurting you. I always go with a 40 Amp ESC. A 30 Amp can actually have a melt down and possible fire.

Flybyknight22 and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  5. Heat

Heat Ace Pilot

I think you need a 40 Amp ESC.

6. If it is the Turnigy 2200kv motor I have had 0 issues with the 35A esc. Fine and dandy the prop was on backwards but that doesn't explain it cutting out, you may still have a bad esc.

7. SukhoiLover

SukhoiLover Ace Pilot

Thanks, Heat.

I haven't had problems yet, but I rarely fly at WOT because of the DTF. I worry that full throttle, high-speed runs will cause flutter. Besides, this was my "stunt double" airplane. The next one, though--better build and electronics. If it's gonna hover . . . .

Thanks, again. Fly safely,

SukhoiLover

bimoadiprakoso and Heat like this.
  8. RCNoob902

RCNoob902 Airman

With my last SU-30, the seat belt of my car snagged one of the canards and ripped it off. Considering to build a new one without canards. How is the handling without them?

Wildthing and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  9. Kiko12

Kiko12 Ace Pilot

10. It should handle good without them.

Kiko12, RCNoob902 and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  11. dangermouse650

dangermouse650 Ace Pilot

Ok, so i printed this out at 125%, it is 1.3 metres long and wingspan is just shy of 1 metre or 39inches. It is a bit on the heavy side at 820grams w/o battery. I have an NTM2200 in there and will try a 6x4x3 prop for starters. I'm expecting that it will be underpowered, if so may try a 4s battery, will see what eventuates on maiden. I have 6 servos in and plan to mix them up, as in try experimenting with flaperons and all that radio stuff. First few flights will be just normal setup, elevator, ailerons and rudders till everything is trimmed and i'm comfortable with it.
    [​IMG]
    My first ever foray into scratchbuilding was with the Su 30, she ended up as a jigsaw puzzle when i retired her but she taught me how to fly.

12. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Hi DM, A few folk seem to have had a spot of bother with the NTM motors burning out on 4`s battery.
    If I went down this rout I would fit a really over AMPed ESC.
    I hope you have a great time flying that beauty, if it were mine it would only do lazy circles and then hang it on the wall as Objet d`art.

13. With that motor I ran the APC 7x4 prop with a 60A esc, pulled really good, lots of torque but not a speeding bullet. :)

14. SukhoiLover

SukhoiLover Ace Pilot

Wow--she's gorgeous. Please tell how the set-up works.
    Oh, and does she, um, have a sister?
    SukhoiLover

15. dangermouse650

dangermouse650 Ace Pilot

Thanks for the heads up BB and WT, i have a 60amp esc in there so will take a change of prop with me.

SukhoiLover, yes she has a sister, a bit smaller but almost as nice Su34
    [​IMG]

16. SukhoiLover

SukhoiLover Ace Pilot

Wow--I think I'm in love . . .

17. mercury8

mercury8 Airman

From some posts under the SU 34 V4 about page 109 I think, we had discussed putting a Turnigy 3648 Brushless Motor 1450kv 80a speedie and a 7 x 5 prop. This is an extreme over powering and one flyer reported wearing out his Mig 29. If you do it then watch the radical movements. Cheers

18. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

You should also be able to use an 8x3.8 wsf prop on 2s and get some super slow, super low wing loading flying in on that too! Looks great!

www.frcfoamies.com
    www.youtube.com/user/gstrysky

19. dangermouse650

dangermouse650 Ace Pilot

Thanks, i am sure i will be looking for alternatives, still waiting to maiden............

Wildthing likes this.
  20. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

DangMouse,
    The 2200kv motor has 7 stators which makes it more durable than the 5 stator 2700kv version.
    Why not use a TGS or APC 7x4 prop with a 3s battery. I use this setup on my Alphajet 110 scale. +55 oz of thrust. Check out my Thrust test.

Flybyknight22 and bogusbandit56 like this.