Su-30 V4 “Hovering Parkjet”

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, May 15, 2014.

1. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Agree with you!v everything has been tried and tested, at least when it comes to full-scale.
    But it is fun! agree!:)

..To be honest, it works well with just Elev/Rud. Everything becomes so much simpler then. These aircraft are so small, that additional control surfaces only creates a heavier aircraft, along with all the other equipment required... servos electric wires, piano wires, etc ... It is possible to fly slowly with a heavy aircraft anyway. Just to increase angle of attack and throttle the slower you fly. Without any spoilers, flaps and slats.

bogusbandit56 likes this.
  2. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Last year I would not have believed a model like the SU34 could do so much on just two servo`s and after months of flying it I am still amazed what it can do.

Slingshot and Airflow like this.
  3. shadeyB

shadeyB Cadet

yeah Yeah & YEAH it is an awesome build, fantastic what this plane can do :)

i tried to keep with the slow fly style, hover, high alpha etc but i can stop ripping it up with the NTM 2700Kv

i have also ran CF rod across the wing however i feel i may need some more reinforcements with CF as you will see i have some nice Wing Flex & tail for that :) while i put it through its paces and learn more each day how to fly

oh and thats just on 3s :p

DavePowers, paulh998, Airflow and 2 others like this.
  4. Baufritz96

Baufritz96 Ace Pilot

NTM on 3s is a powerhouse :D
    I had the same setup on my mig.

5. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

It`s nice to see you`ve managed to get some flying in this weekend, shadeyB the weather is foul in England. I think these models do flex a lot, I stiffened my SU with some depron between the nacelles and gluing the battery hatch together and the cutting a smaller hatch out. It makes a lot of difference.

shadeyB and Airflow like this.
  6. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Sounds like an old Jimmy Stewart movie, "Mr. Sukhoi Gets A New Fuse!" hahaha
    20150901_215458.jpg

Slingshot and bogusbandit56 like this.
  7. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Not only a new fuselage but it appears to have laid an egg:)

8. paulh998

paulh998 Ace Pilot

I was just about to start and build another one as it's capability was greater than my skill first time around, lol! I've improved now and am ready to build another one, looking at the flex on your fantastic vid I will do a bit of fiberglass drywall tape reinforcement on the backend. thanks for posting shadeyb, Paul

9. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

And, we're back. Mr Sukhoi's newly dressed fuse. Flying is tops, but crashing, repairing and building are all right up there with me. I've learned so much in the past 18 months. Thanks to RCP for putting all of this out there!
    20150902_152704-1.jpg

10. Heat

Heat Ace Pilot

Looks great.

homey666 likes this.
  11. BarryM

BarryM Ace Pilot

Nice job Homey...my SU30 has taken a good few knocks since I built it about a year ago...lots of hot glue & carbon fiber additions still keep it together though. :D
    Think I've said this before but out of all my park jets the SU30 is still my 'Favouritist'......:)

Airflow, bogusbandit56 and homey666 like this.
  12. shadeyB

shadeyB Cadet

if you skip the vid to 3mins when i started thrashing it about (my opinion lol) id suggest maybe CF rods also, i do have fiber tape on mine but hey its still awesome :)

bogusbandit56 likes this.
  13. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I don`t know why folks get concerned with a bit of flexing, if you had`nt seen it you would`nt worry about it:) A jumbo jet wing flex`s 12 foot or so in flight and gliders even more so, but they don`t fall out of the skies.

14. Thelic

Thelic Ace Pilot

I've been bitten by the Sukhoi bug!

After building several SU-34 V4's and nearly completing my T-50 V2 (waiting on electronics in the mail) I'd like to add a SU-35 to my hangar.

I see Jay and Greg have a SU-37/35 mk2, but at a 26" wingspan I'm worried that with a 2200mAh battery it would be a touch on the heavy side. (though it looks awesome) I also really have no desire to build a nose onto a wing plate again like the T-50. The V4's have spoiled me with the 2 piece design.

I don't really do much high alpha, so I don't need the twitch controls that come with moving the weight towards the CG. In fact I'm probably better off having some resistance to pitch.

To put it simply, I really like the V4 noses.

Do you think the following modifications to the SU-30 would work?
    -Slide the motor back, maybe somewhere resembling the SU-34.
    -Extend the nacelle backs to match the motor placement.
    -Ditch the canards for the SU-35 LERX.
    -Shorten the nacelle fronts to fit the LERX.

Airflow likes this.
  15. sirskyhi

sirskyhi Ace Pilot

All I have to say is that the SU-37 mk2 can handle the weight of a 2200mAh battery. I built mine with dollar tree foam and gluestick. I put a 2700kv motor on it with. 6x4 prop using the 2200mAh battery and she screams! I had to change to a 2200kv motor to slow her down a bit. If you build the SU-37 mk2 and if you like fast planes I don't think you will be let down. Oh by the way I've crashed it several times and I've reinforced it with about 8 popsicle sticks and she still handles the extra weight with no problem.

shadeyB likes this.
  16. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Thelic, if you check out our su37 mk1, it is a larger wingspan easily accommodating a 2200. The only difference is size. Plus we give the option of twin props...

Our Website :www.frcfoamies.com
    My youtube :www.youtube.com/user/gstrysky

Slingshot likes this.
  17. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

If you're not flex'in - you're not fly'in!

F1wanabe, shadeyB, malukk and 3 others like this.
  18. Thelic

Thelic Ace Pilot

I went ahead and made the modifications listed in my previous post to this new build. Maybe next time I'll thy the FRC SU-37 Mk2!

Here it is before I fill and sand it. Also needs its KF2. I'd like to add some fillets around the wing root. Might just add a 3rd layer on top of the KF2 and sand it.

IMG_20150926_002148.jpg

Airflow, bogusbandit56 and Slingshot like this.
  19. Thelic

Thelic Ace Pilot

A productive morning!

IMG_20150926_105353.jpg

143g so far.

bogusbandit56 and Airflow like this.
  20. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I flew my SU30 to day and I really dont like the huge elevons, they bounce about , I` m going to cut mine down similar to the SU34 and make sure the hinges are really well made and no play in them.

Thelic likes this.