Su-30 V4 “Hovering Parkjet”

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, May 15, 2014.

1. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I built the SU30 yesterday and have the spackling and sanding to finish YUK, I hate spackling and sanding. Well hopefully when that is done I will be installing a variable camber airfoil with fronterons linked to flapperons controlled by a potentiometer and no KF step. Should be interesting:) Oh and if your wondering what is it sitting on , that is my electric trike I use for getting about my home town cos it`s impossible to get anywhere in a car.

Attached Files:

Airflow likes this.
  2. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Sounds Great Ian! What kind of variable camber AF are you going to use? There are so many solutions...

[​IMG]

bogusbandit56 likes this.
  3. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Nothing that sophisticated, I was thinking linked slats and flaps, I suppose it should be call a variable lift plane really.

Airflow likes this.
  4. Heat

Heat Ace Pilot

Flew my X-30 (modified SU-30) on Saturday. After launch it went perfectly straight with only a slight right roll trim and the aircraft performed perfectly. I was using my power Suppo 1800KV motor with 3 different propellors throughout the day. I expended 5 batteries and of the 3 propellors, the 8X5 Master Airscrew cut down to a 5.5X5 gave me the best speed. It hit about 60 MPH. Next, I will install the RCX Motor from myrcmart.com. I expect around 90-100 MPH. The larger wing area made for some very fast maneuvers and a snap loop in about 3 square feet. The Cobra maneuver is the best of any aircraft I have tried. What a blast. 20150801_063050_resized.jpg

5. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

That looks really cool Heat!
    How are you liking the angled tails?

6. Slingshot

Slingshot Ace Pilot

Great work bb56, and Heat! :)

7. Heat

Heat Ace Pilot

I have noticed turning I lose very little altitude at all even without elevator input. I also noticed it seems as stable as the SU-30 even though I removed the ventral fins in the back. The biggest difference to me is the wing area and wing loading. While I am going to add rudders for high alpha, this plane floats similar to the SU-34. Basically, I melded a US fighter and Russian fighter into one. When I replace this motor with the RCX, I will see how fast it really goes. Having a blast with modifications.

DavePowers and Airflow like this.
  8. Heat

Heat Ace Pilot

What was really cool is my brother brought his SU30 out (grey and orange on the end of the table) so we can see the differences.

Slingshot likes this.
  9. DavePowers

DavePowers Administrator

That is so cool. I love the mods, always learning a little something.
    Anyway, it looks really cool.

Heat and Airflow like this.
  10. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

A quick up date on the SU30 variable camber wing .One servo controls both control surfaces. You may notice in picture 3 that an airfoil reversed is not much use until you turn the plane upside down and then you have lots of lift , inverted picture 4.. SU30 VCW 001.jpg SU30 VCW 002.jpg SU30 VCW 002.jpg SU30 VCW 003.jpg SU30 VCW 004.jpg I seem to have to many photos:)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    Slingshot, malukk and Airflow like this.
  11. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Super nice Ian! It's going to be a very versatile aircraft, slow/fast and highly manoeuvrable!

Slingshot and bogusbandit56 like this.
  12. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I bet I do something stupid and crash as soon as I mess with the airfoil:)

Slingshot and malukk like this.
  13. Heat

Heat Ace Pilot

Hope not, I really want to see how it functions.

Slingshot, bogusbandit56 and Airflow like this.
  14. Ian, Would love to hear back on how all these different configurations perform, pretty neat setup!

bogusbandit56 and Airflow like this.
  15. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

No, take it step by step,,, ;) start to mess with it later! Make yourself familiar with it, and take a few flights with the control surfaces in neutral position so the wing remains flat.

16. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I concur with you . I have set in motion a plan to activate the camber via the flaps switch which can be slowed right down and limited via a potentiometer. I have been toying with the idea of controlling each wing seperately via the rudder stick to give an aileron effect but what would happen once the airfoil goes inverted?

Slingshot and Airflow like this.
  17. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Me too:) Thanks.

Slingshot likes this.
  18. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Thanks malukk, I still have quite a bit to do before it is in the air, plus I have to contend with the British weather, the winds have died down a little and it has now started to rain:(
    Whatmovesyou has given me some info on throttle mixing to control airfoil shape. I think this project has a great deal of potential in flight characteristics and for crashing:) I am going to have to employ a camera man to get some video when it is flying.

malukk and Slingshot like this.
  19. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Exactly what happens ...
    I've been thinking about running the leading edge slats through the same channel as the canards on my second MIG '288

Slingshot and bogusbandit56 like this.
  20. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I sometimes think I wish I was a speed freak , just happy putting bigger motors in. The thought of all these mixes with so many control surfaces is going to take me into a realm of which my limited mixing abilities will become a problem:) I suppose somewhere in the world all of this has been done and documented, but the fun is finding out for ourselves, isn`t it?