split carbon arrow shaft for support? help if u can.

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by fesstuss, Feb 28, 2014.

1. fesstuss

fesstuss Rookie

Hey guys i am new to the hobby and currently building a f35 v2 free. I am wandering if anyone has ever used a split carbon arrow shaft in place of the 3mm carbon tube? I happen to have 2 garbage shafts laying around that I could use. And if you have used arrow shaft, how did you split it? If this build goes well I am goona buy the entire v3 fleet. I think im addicted already and I havent even ever flown a plane. I cant wait to finish and fly. thanks in advance..

2. achilles

achilles Ace Pilot

I built my f35 v2 and used bamboo skewers,flew it yesterday for the first time and had no problems.If you have access to a band saw you could use that to try to split the arrow shaft but it sounds a little challenging to me.

fesstuss likes this.
  3. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

it depends on the quality of the carbon....you can sometimes just snip it and then use a sharp blade to cut it down it's length....otherwise you need a saw of some kind....

fesstuss likes this.
  4. MacLarry

MacLarry Airman

I don't have an answer for you, but, if you end up cutting the carbon with a saw of otherwise creating carbon dust, - don't breathe it into your lungs. Carbon dust can permanently damage your lung tissue, and there is no recovery. Just be careful.

fesstuss and JettaManDan like this.
  5. Newt

Newt Administrator

very true!

fesstuss likes this.
  6. MacLarry

MacLarry Airman

Since you have some spare arrow shafts, you may want to have a look at some of the designs done by forum member bobdabilduh55 who uses those in some of his planes. His plans are free - just ask him for what you like.
    Here is his design for the B-2 Bomber.

For a lot more of his designs, search the forum for "Five Easy Pieces"

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
    fesstuss likes this.
  7. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Airman

Fesstuss,
    I think you will have some issues for the following reasons.
    Cutting a shaft longitudinally will be almost impossible to do accurately.
    The shaft will no longer have "spine" because that depends on the construction of the shaft.
    In addition if you were to flex the shaft the fibers would start to splinter off due to the cut.
    The cutting process would release lots of carbon dust; not something you want to breath. GB.

fesstuss likes this.
  8. fesstuss

fesstuss Rookie

Hey guys thanks for the reply's. Don't want to take a chance of damaging my lungs so I guess I will order my carbon. I will save the arrow shafts for other projects. I already have my f35 v2 cut out and ready to go together so I won't be starting any other builds until I finish this one. One other question I have is, if I click the link on the master parts page for the 2200kv brushless 30a max is the motor that pops up the exact motor that I need? I think it's a turnigy motor. Any tips on parts will be appreciated. As long as I buy a esc that is 30+amp I am good to go right? Like I said, I'm a noob. I don't know how to cross reference parts like motors, battery's, chargers, esc's , servo's, and others. Help if you can. I'm gonna place my order in the morning.

9. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Fesstuss -

The thread below is a veritable goldmine of information http://www.rcpowers.com/community/threads/resources.10941/

I'm not sure what you mean by cross referencing the equipment. I wrote this post recently to help another member with how props/motors/ESCs and batteries work together, look at post #11 on this page http://www.rcpowers.com/community/threads/dave-powers-i-have-a-question.16547/ I'm not sure if that is the kind of information you seek. A lot of work has gone into the master parts list, so you can't go wrong with what is recommended there, just try not to build your plane too heavy or the motor will have a hard time flying it around. The F35 V2 is not the sleekest plane, so in addition to weight, you have aerodynamic drag to overcome, but it is definitely a great plane to learn to fly with. The best recommendation I can give is build it simple, elevons only and work up from there as your experience, skills and confidence builds.

Hope this helps, good luck with your build.

Cheers,

Scott

fesstuss likes this.
  10. philliplunsford

philliplunsford Airman

Would not recommend cutting the arrow shaft. If you do tape it first. This will help wi the dust and make it earlier to handle. Set up guide blocks on three sides. This will be a very challenging and potential danger cut

fesstuss likes this.
  11. fesstuss

fesstuss Rookie

Thanks Scott, I wasn't doubting the master parts list. I can see that these guys know their stuff. I was just worried that hobby king may have been trying to sell me a generic version of the recommended part. Thanks for all the info I will have plenty to read when I get home tonight. By cross referencing I meant that I was gonna try to find the right version of the part, but I saw the exact same motor that it wants me to buy in your other thread so now I know for sure that it's the right motor. I guess I wanted reassurance before I ordered a bunch of parts that wasn't the recommended parts. But I found everything I need for now in your other post. Thanks again.

12. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Sure, no problem, there is also a lot of great info on the F35 V2 thread that folks have posted. I did this walkaround video after building my second F35 V2. I used a much bigger power system than was probably needed, but I was building my planes much heavier in those days and needed the extra power.

You might find something helpful in there, not sure...good luck with the rest of your build and your maiden.:)

Cheers,

Scott

13. fesstuss

fesstuss Rookie

sweet plane....

14. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Thank you, it flew great but it was a bit too heavy, so when I crashed it...that was it, no repairing it...:(

Good luck with your F35 V2:)

Cheers,

Scott

fesstuss likes this.
  15. csitas

csitas Ace Pilot

Don't cut the carbon shaft.They are wound radially. I think cut like that it will just come apart in half circles.I hit the end of these all the time and that's what happens once you break the circle of the arrow. Use it whole ,or bury half of it.

fesstuss likes this.
  16. fesstuss

fesstuss Rookie

I hate to hear that scott. As for the carbon I have ordered the 3mm rods. thanks everyone for the great info...

17. fesstuss

fesstuss Rookie

Ok I just spent the last 4 hours reading and watching videos. Some that I needed to watch/read, and some that I just wanted to watch/read for fun. Boatloads of info on this website. Thanks to friendly people like you guys for pointing me in the right direction.