Seaplanes ... rock

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by TomMonton, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Ok, My motor is parallel to the wings I see yours has about a 10 degree angle up. Wouldn't that give you more lift? I have no problem with lift, heck just flying horizontal would be nice. The battery yes I can move it about 1 1/2" more forward if I take out the extra firewall I added. Did I mark my cg wrong, that's not where I was working off of? With the 3000 battery in it that is now almost where my cg would be. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb and Dumber. I have other words I could have used but this is fine. lol

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  2. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

The angle is designed in to counter the pitch down affect because the motor is above the the center. It's a leverage thing not lift. Think about pushing something above its center, you could tip it over. This is kinda like that.
    Look at the picture from the bixler plane where the motor is quite a bit above the center line. If it is parallel it should actually pitch down as throttle is applied. bixler 2 motor angle correction.jpg

malukk and Wildthing like this.
  3. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

I just looked at the plans again and they show the CG at 12 3/4" from the front of the pontoons. Which is exactly where I show it at the front edge of the servos where I am holding it balanced. image.jpeg

Wildthing likes this.
  4. To many planes on the go. Ok my motor is at the right angle same as yours, my cg however not. I am going back to the smaller battery and I'll get that cg in the right spot with the minimum weight added. I can cut out that extra firewall I put in that way I can push the little battery right to the tip of the nose if needed. I don't know how I came up with my cg mark, double checked the plans and then I slapped myself.

5. Oh, and I learn something new again. Never knew that but it does make sense. Cool. So that basically helps keep the wing loaded also in flight , right?

6. Well with the small 1300 battery all the way to the end of the nose I need to another 1.75 oz or so to balance it. Which is 3 oz less then moving around the 3000 battery. Wish I had some batteries that were in between my 1300 and 3000.

7. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

This sort of adjustment is quick and simple really.

I've seen where guys use hardware like nuts, bolts,washers. ..screws. ..loose change. I would recommend going to a hardware store and pick a few fishing sinkers. These little lead weights can be stuck down with a dab of hot glue so you can pick if back off later if needed.

malukk and Wildthing like this.
  8. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

yes the 2200 works quite will but I think the 3000 will add a bit or weight but the plane will handle it quite well. Just a bit higher stall speed and a bit higher throttle in high alpha.

Wildthing likes this.
  9. Fz1Fazer

Fz1Fazer Ace Pilot

I didn't need balancing weights yet but if I need them I will not spend a cent for them. The next garage is 50m away and they have a lot of used balancing weights from car wheels ;)

Edit:
    It is allmost the same stuff you can buy for R/C and often the painted ones are looking as good as new.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    Wildthing likes this.
  10. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

If your adding extra weight anyway you might as well put in the bigger battery and get longer flight time instead of adding dead weight.

Wildthing likes this.
  11. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

That's his snag. . One 1300 battery is not enough and the 3000 is too much. ..no other battery to work with and why I suggested static weight. Enough until he can get a battery that works better.

12. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

I fly it with a 2200 so an increase to 3000 is an added weight over mine of 65 grams or 2.26 ounces. I don't think it will really make much difference in flight.

Wildthing likes this.
  13. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

Sure lighter is better.

14. I have connections there, I used to own a large shop until last year. lol

jimpalmer and Fz1Fazer like this.
  15. My 1300 battery is 3.65 oz and the 3000 is 8.1 oz. If I use the 1300 battery as far forward as it goes and then add about 1 oz to the very front of both pontoons I get the same balance as using the 1 3000 battery. I may just try the larger battery, I think some of my issues are I am to cautious taking off and not getting it up to speed and it is stalling to.

16. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

Punch it and get it up fairly high until you get it all trimmed out. Then figure out how slow it can go before bring it close to the ground. I always fly 3 mistakes high until I get the feel of a new plane.

Wildthing likes this.
  17. You know I learnt that with my quad when I started goofing around, way up there gives me some time to correct it, yes if I hit the ground damage is worse but either way you are fixing it. lol

18. Well, weather light snow, 15-20kmph wind, -5 degrees. I would consider it a triumphant day, Take off was a little longer but got her up and went high, good thing because I just about lost it in the wind right off the bat. But it still did cost me a plane. Did the most flying (plane) so far, probably 6 or 7 minutes. Did a few rolls, 1 by accident. Definitely turning into the wind you had to be careful, I did use the rudders once and almost got me into trouble plus I found myself backing off the throttle when I used the rudders. I lost it when trying to bring it in, the wind caught the wing and turned me down. Landed really hard on 1 pontoon, drove the cf rod through the fuselage plus broke it away from the wing, elevon broke off on both sides and I sure there is more. Remove hardware then glue the plane back together enough to hang on wall of shame. NEXT. lol

I think the bigger battery also made it a little more stable in the wind, it wasn't getting blown around like it did with the small battery.

19. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

Did you get video? I always like to video my crashes.
    Wind is tricky to land in. Every control movement is magnified. A slight down elevator gets the wind on top of the plane and can push it down hard.
    Sounds like you had a bit of fun with it anyway.

Wildthing likes this.
  20. It was a blast. Couple sheets of depron down the tube other then that all good. It was my second attempt at coming in, 1st time it went goofy also but was able to power up and catch it, I was trying to keep it head on into the wind and float it down.

No videos, I do have a small camera (Go-Pro knock off) but haven't figured where I would mount it on myself. Until I get better I don't invite anybody to come out and watch me.lol