Seaplanes ... rock

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by TomMonton, Nov 28, 2015.

1. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Nice work Jim. .. you definitely earned it today.

jimpalmer and Wildthing like this.
  2. That was actually very entertaining. lol Oh, cold out? minus 3. wahhhhh.

3. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

That's Minus 3 Celsius. So its cold but not that cold.
    I love flying the planes in the wind but today it was really a bit over the top. I really love this plane. It handled the wind very well. That is only the third battery in it and it feels like I've been flying it forever.

Wildthing likes this.
  4. I'm from Saskatchewan, we've been spoiled a bit this year but you guys were in a tropical resort.

5. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

Yes it's been warm but looks like winter is upon us finally.

Wildthing likes this.
  6. pileit1

pileit1 Ace Pilot

This video is from Flite Test and it is an instructional about how to waterproof your plane but it would work just as well at just adding strength to the whole airframe using Kraft paper and Minwax water based Polycrylic.

Wildthing likes this.
  7. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

I finally got around to adding some colour to mine. It certainly isn't nearly as elaborate as the work some of you have done but hopefully I can see it now. image.jpeg image.jpeg

Fz1Fazer, EricR, pileit1 and 2 others like this.
  8. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Oh yeah very nice.
    ... it looks clean. I like it.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  9. Very clean, looks great.

10. Well took mine out yesterday for it's maiden voyage. Not so good, don't know if it was me, the plane or cg. There was a 20 kmph wind. It takes off and wants to fly, heck it lifts off in 5 feet with ease but it was like a roller coaster ride. I have very little throws set in to it other then the rudders but I never used them. Very floaty but I barely could get it to fly in a straight line and as I am trying to do that it is getting farther away (the wind) and when I tried to turn into the wind, straight up and down. Couple small repairs to do but no big deal. Without any real experience I thought it was to light on the nose. The cg is right on the mark, the battery I am running is a 1300. Jim this looked like your video but I couldn't control it.

Open to suggestions

11. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I've noticed this plane is instinctively tail heavy and by your definition... try and add more weight to the nose and see if that helps to settle her in.

A heavier battery. . Even adding a second battery only for more counter ballest.

Wildthing likes this.
  12. Even taking off, very slight elevon and it is virtually going straight up. Also I have to stop landing in tall grass/weeds, I have littles holes straight through the wings and even some in the pontoons, lol . She wood take on water now. I'm going to see if my 3000 battery will fit in there, it is just about the same weight as 2 of the 1300's.

13. Well the 3000 battery will fit and it moves the cg about an 1" farther forward. The 1300 is 105 g and the 3000 is 229 g. I don't know if it means anything but just on the bench with very little throttle I could wag the tail up and down with ease using the 1300, with the 3000 I have to give it lots of throttle to pull the tail down and by then it is wanting to cruise. I don't have any batteries size wise in the middle so I will see how it launches using the 3000.

14. RCUrso

RCUrso Ace Pilot

Maybe you need to check motor angle of incidence...?

Wildthing likes this.
  15. I'll double check it but I sure when I glued the mount on I squared it up with the wing.

RCUrso likes this.
  16. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

I have a 2200 battery right up front in the nose and it is balanced on the front edge of the servos.

17. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

Here is the angle for the motor mount. Exactly as the plan cuts the foam. image.jpeg

Wildthing likes this.
  18. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

Here is how I have the cg balance at the front of the servos image.jpeg

Wildthing likes this.
  19. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

Here is my 2200 in there image.jpeg

20. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

I went back and looked at your pictures and noticed your battery hatch is farther back than mine. Are you able to get the battery up into the nose? My 2200 is almost up to the front.

Wildthing likes this.