Seaplanes ... rock

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by TomMonton, Nov 28, 2015.

1. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

Well I'm like a kid on Christmas morning with a new toy. Just finished the build on Christmas Eve and this morning it is a green Christmas here and warm which is very unusual for Ontario. No wind either. Family isn't coming over until lunchtime so time for a one battery maiden flight.
    It flew great just a few clicks of trim right and down and away I went. I'll post the maiden flight video a bit later. For now I should help my wife get ready for the company or it won't be a merry Christmas for me.

Wildthing, Fz1Fazer and TomMonton like this.
  2. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Fantastic. .. it's always good to hear of a happy landing on successful build.

Congrats

3. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

Well I did find time to upload the video to Youtube so here is the maiden flight. Very good flying plane.

4. EricR

EricR Ace Pilot

Looks like a great flyer! I ordered one of the kits a few weeks ago. looking forward to a winter build along with about 10 other planes :) Thanks Jim for a great video example of this plane's abilities. Murphy enjoyed it too :D .

TomMonton likes this.
  5. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Excellent. .. Murphy was determined to keep up with it too.

Thank you Jim and well done.

6. Well she has some color now, not totally happy though. I tried some stuff by Martha Stewart, it's a stencil film very thin and has a tacky side with a peel off backing. I tried a small piece as a test and it seemed to stick good but once I started painting it would lift in spots. Where it stuck it was really nice clean edges. You just won't get any real close-ups. lol Still have to paint the canopy and then install servos and such.

Merry Christmas to all
    Jeff
    2015-12-25 21.10.14.jpg 2015-12-25 21.10.49.jpg 2015-12-25 21.10.31.jpg 2015-12-25 21.11.02.jpg 2015-12-25 21.11.31.jpg

7. That's awesome, I thought Murphy was going to take a bite out of it ending the first voyage.

8. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Oh hell yeah. ..this looks great !! ...nicely done Jeff.

I know where you're coming from on couple of these comments. By the time you've masked, prepped. ..shoot that first layer down and let it dry. ...

....you're sick of it. You're doubting the direction you went and you've already convinced yourself it looks like a cow pie anymore before you even take the tape off. Well DON'T !!

I like it and admire the direction you went with it. Those moments of brilliance only happens by accident and right now you simply can't see through the cow pie.

Put it away and look again tomorrow with fresh eyes ...I'm certain you'll see it again in a new light.

If you want to make it pop. Use a heavy black marker and outline a few of the critical lines.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
    Wildthing and EricR like this.
  9. Thanks Tom for the encouragement. I just get really ticked off when you spend all that time and it's not perfect. I was going to air brush a black line while the stencils were still on but once they started lifting that cancelled that idea. The black marker sounds like a great idea.

Thanks
    Jeff

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
    TomMonton likes this.
  10. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

W
    wow

Wildthing likes this.
  11. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

Murphy has never bitten one of my planes but will bump them with his nose. Spun one of them around on takeoff and caused a crash. I'm most afraid of him getting hurt by the prop.
    I think that Murphy is in just about everyone of my maiden videos. Wouldn't be the same without him.

Fz1Fazer, Wildthing and TomMonton like this.
  12. That's cool.

13. ericlutan

ericlutan Rookie

Mr. TOMMONTON a big hello, I am writing from Venezuela. I've seen his hydrofoil (MAKO) and I am admired for its design and majestic flight. I am a fan builder, I would like to build your MAKO, I built the Mermaid and now manufactured the AICON A5. Could you send me drawings of MAKO? I appreciate your attention and cooperation. My email is: [email protected].

Wildthing likes this.
  14. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I've forwarded the link from a previous entry courtesy of Fz1Fazer who had posted it earlier.

Rummage through the pages here and you'll find all that information.

Good luck on the build ... it is a cute little plane and I hope I can get a chance see your progress

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    Wildthing and Fz1Fazer like this.
  15. If it warms up enough I should be able to do my maiden voyage. All the parts came in and she is together, just need to set all the controls. Happy New Year everyone.

Jeff

TomMonton likes this.
  16. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Very good to hear. I'm going out tomorrow myself to claim my place with the local club "I flew new years day" gang this year.

Just something they do for grins and this year I was set and ...one of the reasons I built the Mako in the first place. Rain, snow, gust-o wind wasn't going to hold me down this year.

Wildthing likes this.
  17. Well New years for me is 4 hours away, 7.46pm now. Good news is that it was really cold and it is warming up quick so it could be a slushy day tomorrow. I did break my normal apc 6-4 props so all I had left is a 3 blade 6 - 4, seems to have decent thrust. They were really cheap and I was using them on my sled.

TomMonton likes this.
  18. RCUrso

RCUrso Ace Pilot

Here are the plans... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1696964
    Good luck in your build, my friend

19. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

Well I am a bit crazy. My wife asked me to take the dog out for a walk to the school. The school is were I fly so I grabbed the Mako. I opened the door and the plane almost flew out of my hands into the wind. I thought I could maybe just see how it handles zooming around on the snow, but when I got there I had to fly it.
    Here's the video. Sorry about white clouds, white snow and white plane.

Wildthing and TomMonton like this.
  20. pileit1

pileit1 Ace Pilot

Wow Jim, it sounds like a gale blowing! I finally got a chance to maiden mine before it got too dark. I need to make a cg adjustment but got it up and down in one piece. It handles a bit differently than a "normal" plane but nothing a bit of familiarization won't cure. So far so good!