Seaplanes ... rock

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by TomMonton, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Shannon

Shannon Administrator

I love this idea here... skids from a matching plastic folder. Genius.

2. Good progress today, just had breakfast and almost time to go to bed. Don't know about you but I built the pontoons before I attached them to the wing, I was able to block sand the top of them giving a nice square fitment. I did screw up though, mixed up the side rails and now my cf rods are on the outside. Well a little white paint or white tape and you won't know they are there. Still have to cut out the hatch and a final sanding and then the electronics/mechanical goes in. It will be a bit because I am waiting on my order from HK. 2015-12-22 19.08.47.jpg 2015-12-22 19.08.57.jpg 2015-12-22 19.13.22.jpg

3. Oh, I still have to cut out all my little wood pieces, ;(

4. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

You can also use blend tape that you find at the pharmacy, cover your spars with a layer of that. It takes paints well and helps to disguise what is underneath.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
    Wildthing likes this.
  5. I do have blend tape.

TomMonton likes this.
  6. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Man don't you guys know I already have several builds going!

All your builds look great fellas!
    I really like sea planes but the one I do have doesn't fly all that well, especially on water take offs and landings.

A few years ago I purchased a Dynam PBY Catalina. Even though it went together well and "looked good" it needed several mods to make it behave decently but even then there were numerous problems with their design.

The elevator needed dual control horns and rods, the prop shafts on the motors are very weak and routinely shatter on slight impacts even on grass. The motors are under powered for the weight and the 3-bladed props are brittle and break easily.

Another problem was parts availability and lack of hull waterproofing out of the box.
    All the problems and issues you would expect from not scratch building it yourself!

We have been flying it for quite a while now but have to be careful about flying it in much wind do to such a large wing and lack of power. The old PBY was just lacking in so many areas so I started looking for its replacement in this thread.

I have been looking at the Drongo, Polaris and this Mako. I have the Polaris and Drongo plans and was going to build the Polaris until I saw this thread about the Mako.

What a beautiful looking and great flying sea plane.

Wildthing likes this.
  7. Fz1Fazer

Fz1Fazer Ace Pilot

So let's look if I build a Mako next time too, 5 minutes ago I placed an order of 20 m² Depron and some cf, incl. the cf-stuff from the Mako buildpage. The only problem is that the seller is in vacation and it'll be about 30 days to get that stuff.

Wildthing likes this.
  8. Dam, that's a long wait because it won't be shipped until they get back to. I live in Canada but nobody around here carries the Depron so I order from RC Foamies out the US and usually only takes a couple weeks to arrive.

Fz1Fazer likes this.
  9. Fz1Fazer

Fz1Fazer Ace Pilot

Yepp, it's a small shop, so they have to be back from holiday, then bulky goods have longer shipping times and 20 m² are bulky goods :D
    But I think the price I got inc. shipping was ok with 4.72 USD or 4.34 EURO per squaremeter and it is the size that I like most, 80cm x 125cm so 1 m²/sheet.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
    Wildthing likes this.
  10. What size is the M2 sheet?

My Mako I think turned out really nice, I am scared to fly it so I don't wreck it. I might have to hire one of you ace pilots to come and do it's maiden voyage.

Fz1Fazer likes this.
  11. Fz1Fazer

Fz1Fazer Ace Pilot

1 m² per sheet / 80cm x 125cm for just 4,72 USD incl. shipping :)

Edit:
    Reduce the throws till your familiar with it ;)

Wildthing likes this.
  12. pileit1

pileit1 Ace Pilot

Thanks Wt. I borrowed the canopy design from one of the planes I saw on the RCGROUPS forum http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1696964 . The CF in the verticals is actually 1mmx3mm strips. They ended up with a slight bow after the hinges dried (fiberglass drywall tape and Foam Cure) so I added them more to straighten them out than anything. The plane is constructed from Model Plane Foam.

Wildthing likes this.
  13. I've already learnt that it really doesn't take much to make the plane react.

Fz1Fazer likes this.
  14. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

Mine is mostly done. Motor mounted, esc bound, servos centred, just need to mount control horns and linkages.

Wildthing and TomMonton like this.
  15. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

don't build the drongo..build this instead...my drongo came out terrible! lol

Wildthing likes this.
  16. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Of the four seaplanes that I've built and flown....and in this order too.

Mermaid
    Drongo
    Polaris
    Mako

I haven't had a chance to try the mako on snow yet but... the mermaid did make for a wonderful sled.

In my opinion and in all areas otherwise thus far. ... the Mako has risen to the top

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  17. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

I'm as well from Canada and have order from the US. Got a complete box of 16 sheets while I was at Flite Fest last year and saved the shipping.(MAF)

Wildthing likes this.
  18. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

Ready for a test flight and paint whatever comes first.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

Wildthing, Fz1Fazer and TomMonton like this.
  19. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Very nicely done. I see you went the recommended hardware kit too. It really does make it look good.

Merry Christmas !!

Note: it tends to run tail heavy so be sure to place your battery all the way forward for your first flight. You can always pull it back from there if needed. Chances are you won't need to.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
    Wildthing likes this.
  20. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

Thanks merry Christmas to you as well. I have a band saw in my shop so I cut out all the little wood pieces. My push rods are survey markers from the hardware store. 100 for $13. I started just using the adjustment bends in the rods on all my planes as there is absolutely nothing to go wrong. Thinking of putting on a couple of coats of Beacon foam finish on the skids to make more durable.

TomMonton likes this.