Seaplanes ... rock

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by TomMonton, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Baufritz96

Baufritz96 Ace Pilot

I'm thinking of building a seaplane, alas I have no lake to fly it on... belly landing it is :D
    What would you guys recommend as a first seaplane? Something that's easy to waterproof/take off from the water...

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    malukk likes this.
  2. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

The polaris is a good choice actually. It's probably an easier build over the other two.

A co-worker had built one and beat it to death so I know it will hold up pretty good too. He had duct tape and sticks holding together the last time out. ..lol.

malukk, JettaManDan and Baufritz96 like this.
  3. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

It only took about four days but managed to mask her out.

Pick your color for tomorrow I paint the first layer. uploadfromtaptalk1449118176247.jpg

4. Wow! i think a yellow-red gradient would really pop up on this design! But then again, you are the master at this :D

TomMonton likes this.
  5. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

"Master" ?? ...bater maybe.
    I like it and was thinking the same approach. Yellow to orange to red. Then a slate color for weathering. Or skip all that and just paint it a raspberry color.

Black shading around the canopy line.

6. Yes, i think that would come out nice ;)

TomMonton likes this.
  7. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I had considered doing a brown paper/poly skin on the underside of the floats but decided against it finally for overkill. I can just poly and lay down some box tape just as well.

I did build using depron as apposed to MPF this time around so I gained a lot more stiffness that way.

It did snow today so I need to get this girl going !!

8. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

Gallon milk jug plastic works amazing for the bottom of slide on ground planes....easy to cut and takes hot glue well...

9. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Neat idea and I'm going to file this thought too. I'll be able to put a finger on the "wear areas" as the paint starts to scratch off.

Cut my strips and scratch up the one side a little bit for the glue to bite on. Foam tac should hold onto that very well.

10. JettaManDan

don't know if foam tac will work on the milk jug plastic...i just used it on the bottom of the sled...if you heat up the hot glue enough it bonds to it well..just know it heat transfers through the plastic too...so when you go to press the plastic on it will burn you....so be careful....i'm a milk fanatic so i have plenty of jugs around weekly lol

i should have my Mako as a cut out parts set by the end of next week...i will be hitting you up for build tips for sure! my paint job will SUCK compared to yours though

TomMonton likes this.
  11. Fz1Fazer

Fz1Fazer Ace Pilot

The Mako is on my build list or must have list for sure and for water or snow my ordered FunCub comes with flaots too ;)

TomMonton likes this.
  12. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I'm looking forward to seeing your sled perform.

...and huh. I thought it would stick better using foam tac. Appreciate the heads up.

13. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

That was the whole intent to building this one too. ... to play in the snow.

Don't sell your new cub short now, she's a good all weather performer.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  14. Fz1Fazer

Fz1Fazer Ace Pilot

I'm sure she is, espasially with the powersystem I've ordered for her:
    "NTM Prop Drive 35-48 Series 900KV / 815W", RotorStar 60A ESC, APC 13x6.5e at 3s with 2.2Ah or 2.8Ah batteries
    and a second canopy to place a cam in it. :D

TomMonton likes this.
  15. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Oh man. .. bolt it down good.
    Anything "prop drive" is outstanding. You're good to go.

Fz1Fazer likes this.
  16. Fz1Fazer

Fz1Fazer Ace Pilot

Don't worry Tom, the motor will pull only between 35A and 40A, but I've the ESC lying around and with it's 5.5v/6A SBEC it'll be good for the 6 digital servos I've ordered ;) This motor can ease run a 13x8 prop, so it's a sheep for now and the motormount will be replaced with one from aluminium with some cf or so to hold it in place.

TomMonton likes this.
  17. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

Another choice is "Drongo". It will do snow, grass, water(I sealed and redesigned a larger rudder to work on water as well as in the air) and is very peppy. Go to RCGroups to see his takeoffs and landing videos which are very short in distance. Better than the Ikon. It is very stable once the battery is position right.

If I remember correctly, someone made it here on this group and really didn't like it. The larger rudder with the elevons gives it precise control on either land or water.
    Here's mine on snow.

18. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Nice. .I built one and wrecked it finally.

You're right about the rudder on this one too....I struggled trying to find that sweet spot between, enough drag to bring it around while on the ground and. .. tearing it all back off to try something else again.

The plan does offer a nice platform to work from but eventually the foam starts turning to mush and was why I finally put it away for something else.

19. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

I took a 3" epoxy hardwood strip (1/8 wide) and put it under the fuse up to the rudder. In water, no problem and it protected the rudder in grass and helped guided it straight on snow.

TomMonton likes this.
  20. JettaManDan

me...never flew right..crashed more than it flew....probably my build of it...