Sad News, Canadian CF-18 Fighter Jet Pilot Dies In Crash

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by Wildthing, Nov 28, 2016.

1. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Sad news, Jeff. I was stationed in Cold Lake in the 80s and spent my Air Force career growing up with a couple generations of CF-18 pilots, I lost some good friends to accidents over the years, part of the cost of doing business, but still never, ever a good day when something like this happens.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of the pilot, the pilot's Squadron mates, members of 4 Wing and the RCAF at large. I was in Cold Lake for a couple of fatal crashes, leaves a big hole in a relatively small and tight knit community for quite awhile. However, what always made me so proud to have been a member of that organization was how we grieved, honored the fallen, supported their loved ones and each other, learned from it and just kept doing our duties.

It once again puts into perspective for me that flying of any kind is an inherently dangerous business and sometimes even more so for these fighter pilots who push the envelope hard on a daily basis to be the best they can be should our great nation need them to fly into harm's way which the CF-18, aircrews and ground crews have done many times in it's lifespan.

Lest we forget.

Per Ardua ad Astra.

Cheers,

Scott

2. csitas

csitas Ace Pilot

ya ,eScott; I'm with you guys totally. Where I live these kinds of guys are in the air all most all the time . Day or night. As I've gotten older now, it seems I ,as a built in habit , kinda utter a quick bit of reverence at the sound of the overhead jet. Life is short ,and you only go around once . Long live our jet jockeys. We need them .

Shannon, e3_Scott and Wildthing like this.