RCPowers Formula One Fans?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by F1wanabe, Jun 15, 2011.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

RCPowers members look for more speed, better handling, better aerodynamics, cutting edge designs, innovative problem solving, etc. After corresponding with many of you i've come actoss a lot of f1 fans on this forum especially (of course) European members. How many members watch f1? What draws you to each of these interests?

2. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Top Gun

you should KNOW i am one bud....technology...ultimate speed..weight and the G's they pull in every manuver..all good stuff...

you see this video yet? made me laugh a few times

3. LRJEThappy

LRJEThappy Airman

4. RCPlattu

RCPlattu Airman

I am!

I guess it's the pursuit for getting everything out of the track–tire dynamics. And motors, they are interesting and make very nice sounds. And the driving itself, the speed, although I don't race in real life. Simulators will do for now. Simulators are the only games I play nowadays.

5. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

I
    Yes, I remember, Dan! Youare one of the members I was referringt to! will watch it when I. Get into a 4g zone or home, whichever comes firat. First trip to Montreal in 98 i snuck into the pits on Thursday and watched ferrari practice pit stops. Schumi went out on a moped to survey the track. And when he came back i got this shot. [​IMG]

6. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Top Gun

nice shot dude! i was at the Canadain GP in 1999! Just missed you!! I rolled up with some friends in their Ferrari's....10 of them...they closed down Peel St for us..was epic!

7. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

We may have met, Dan! I went every year till 2008 and checked every ferrari on peel street! I am a big ferrari fan both of street cars and race cars. I see a lot of similarities in the frame of mind in race engineers and rc enthusiasts. All about performance but looks take a close second too. Ferraris have always needed to look good on the track in order to sell street cars. Over the years there have Ben some ugly cars that performed well but that team never had to sell cars. Williams, for example with that's huge nose and few years back. Likewise, there are some ugly planes (a-10) that look like he'll but perform well.

8. Argonath

Argonath Top Gun

I don't know if it makes me a fan but I do like the $1300 I got for 2 tickets to the Montreal Grand prix that the wife won and we scalped them.

9. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

Ha! They were $500 each for grandstand tickets in 1999! The last tickets I bought for the hairpin were $395 for 3 days!

10. Argonath

Argonath Top Gun

We need a new patio door, the bottom frame is finished so it's putting in a new patio door later this summer...

11. Hattster

Hattster Rookie

F1's for oldmen..lol.. you guys wanna watch some moto gp, now theres excitement and danger!!!

12. MartinT

MartinT Cadet

The F1 season has been awesome so far, with an exceptional highlight last Sunday in Montreal! The wait (for the rain to stop) was pretty long, but boy what an exciting race it turned out to be! Great winner, too bad it dried up too much for Schumacher to be able to keep his second place.I think the Pirellis (tires) are a great hit, but the DRS (moveable rear wing) still needs some tweaking, as this makes overtaking sometimes too easy...(but still better to see easy overtakes than no overtakes at all...;-)Looking forward to the rest of the seasaon!

13. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Top Gun

it was 2000..or 2001..now i don't remember..we had about every Ferrari on the street...notable was our buddies Black 400i, a Red 355 spyder, a Red 348GTS, Red 328 GTS, Black Testarossa and a silver 328..the Molson Girls were out that year...hitting their drums and knocking their little cermaic sticks together...we had them all pose with the cars and dance with a few of us...was a GREAT TIME...saturday was the night we were out that year...

while controversial i think the new changes have definately made it the most exciting season i've seen in a long time...the DRS may need some changes..but yeah seeing people slinghsot past is cool..and then passed people get the chance to come right back. I feel bad for Shumi..no matter what other peeps say i think he is doing a great job..at his age to be in the top 10 a lot is great...and i was hooping for him to be on the Podium again...Button's drive was amazing..happy that he won and Vettel showed he isn't infallable..but i still think he is gonna run away with the title...

14. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

I do not agree with DRS. KERS is equal for all cars, but the principle of slowing down the front car (which is essentially what you are doing) so the rear car can pass more easily goes against the whole idea of racing. What you are doing is creating a better show for TV at the expense of true performance. In addition, the defending driver can still only change direction once because blocking is banned. If he does block, the pass becomes dangerous as the passing car now has 20 kph on the defending car. A driver who had bad luck in qualifying (Webber for example a couple races back) can make a "miraculous" drive from behind because at some point he will have an advantage over most of the cars he approaches. If this is what they want, leveling the playing field, then they should put the drivers in VW beetles with no aero aids and let them duke it out. What attracted me to F1 was the high tech, prototypical nature of it. Technology and strategy come together to make SOME great races like it has always been. Even though most of the races were mundane, there were some real great ones (Hill in Hungary, Schumacher in Spain). If every race is filled with passing and miraculous come from behind racing that is artificially created then whats the point of actually racing cars. I would actually prefer Ecclestone's idea of putting sprinklers on tracks to create wet races! Rain always equalizes the field!

15. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Top Gun

what you have to realize is that F1 is a business and that EVERYONE has their hands in the cookie jar to make money...and the years past with races with almost no overtaking was getting boring for some..and the sport was losing viewers..and sponsor $$....i agree with what you are saying..but look at the market...moveable aero has been around for a while...hybrid stuff is out there big time...so if you add stuff that regular people can recognize on cars in their own drvieway..and then make the racing fun...more interesting to watch...more passes...more issues...pit stops..strategy etc..then you will generate more interest...and the sport gorws...don't forget just in the past years that giant automakers like toyota had pulled out....so i'm kinda all for changes like this to make the racing more exciting and to keep the audience and the shows on TV ;) do i love it? no..but seeing them all in a line for the whole race gets kinda boring...my opinion of course..'

it's like Porsche....do i like that they make trucks? hell no..think it is dumb..but do i like that the $$ from them has kept the company afloat and allowed them to continue to make sick sports cars? hell yeah..so well em to your hearts content ;) lol!

16. rodrigo

rodrigo Top Gun

I´m F1 fan too.... the cars: hi tech, lot of design just the best and only necesary things, pure and extremme evolution in machines ... and the pilots, adrenaline and precision...

about DSR ?.. besides being good for the show is not as unsportsmanlike as it seems, sure is an advantage for the attacker, but also will be an advantage for the pilot if it lost the position...
    add some strategic point to the game...

in sailboat , in downwind legs , the attacker takes some advantage because it has clear wind, tries to cover the wind of the front boat for it to lose speed .... once forward the roles are reversed and the battle continues.... quite entertaining, although at 1/10 of the top speed of this guys

17. Kozmyk

Kozmyk Rookie

For me, watching the F1 is something to do on a Sunday afternoon, not a major thing.
    Some years it's good and fun to watch, other years the rules make it boring and I don't bother.
    This year has been pretty entertaining and last year wasn't so bad either but it can always vary.
    Some years the FIA get it wrong and strangle all the fun out of the game.

18. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

The sailing analogy is a good one, Rodrigo!. The tactics would be very similar. I think that, rather than making the rules to equalize the cars, and rather than giving advantages to certain cars under certain conditions, someone should buy Adrian Newey a sailboat and let him sail away! That is his hobby, right? If the Newey cars were not racing this year you would have 3 teams on almost an equal footing at the top with not too much distance back to 7th or 8th! That would certainly do the trick!

19. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Top Gun

I agree. When I first began watching in 92 the races seemed more of a battle and drivers had anger and passion. I think the safety measures are good, but they seem to have regulated the passion out of it!

20. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Top Gun

true..but necessary for driver safety with the speeds the cars can reach and the damage they can do....and with the penalties for bad driving..well..it does take some of the fun out...I watch BTCC when i can..those guys smash each other ot bits! lol!