RCExplorer tricopter frame v2 with integrated Naze32 FC :)

Discussion in 'Quadcopters' started by DutchRC, May 20, 2015.

1. thunder

thunder Top Gun

i was thinking of giving my quads a foam rudder to point me in the right direction lol

2. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

That is a good idea. I initially found an old small heli canopy in the trash can at the flying field and used it until it came loose and damaged the front set of blades(made it safe to ground). Just make sure the rudder is mounted firmly.

3. Damn.. this is like a Really old topic by now ;) I do still have this quad though & it flies just fine :)
    But... no OSD, which has caused me to crash it several times :$ Lucky for all of us though, we now have FPV camera's with build in OSD's! :D So.. I'm gonna upgrade the tricopter with such a camera..

To be specific.. this one here: Foxeer Arrow V3 Sony Super HAD II CCD cam with OSD

And here are my findings :)

Specifications:
    Chipset: Sony Super HAD II CCD
    PAL Resolution: 976 x 494
    NTSC Resolution: 768 x 494
    Default lens: 2.5mm
    Output: 650tvl in B/W.. 600tvl in color
    Input power: 5V - 40V
    WDR: Yes! D-WDR
    OSD: Yes!
    Microphone: Yes!

malukk likes this.
  4. thunder

thunder Top Gun

Hi Dutch,old thread yes but still very relevant lol you always produce great vids,and bravo to you for flying over water.I have just purchased a Runcam swift 2 and was wondering what VTX and antenna you have on that tricopter,and if you would kindly give info on the props,,i build and fly my own LARGE Vtail quads,they look a bit unorthodox but they fly great,but are not suitable for FPV,whereas your tricopter looks and is perfect for the job.I might actually buy the Foxeer Arrow V3 as well now that you have tested and shown the results,,great stuff,cheers mate.

DutchRC likes this.
  5. Thanks brother! Improving on older RC is a fun part of the hobby I think :) The next upgrade(s) for this tricopter are allready in the works But might take a while regardless ;)
    On this tricopter I have an Ancient Eachine 200mW VTX (the kind that still has dip-switches :$).. Still works like a charm huh? :D

For the motors & ESC's I was really on a BUDGET when I build this tri.. It has 3 (HobbyKing) airplane motors I had in the parts-bin.. SimonK ESC's (yep.. pretty ancient :p) And 12x6 APC props..
    It would probably perform better on slow-fly props, but I just can't stand the looks of those :D

Cool man! I love unorthodox things :D Why would it not be suitable for FPV?? :$ (if only to see what your action cam is pointed at)
    Cheers!

thunder likes this.
  6. thunder

thunder Top Gun

Hiya,thanks for the info,the reason i said my large Vtail was unsuitable was because it is rather heavy,i used thick strong wood for the build although i have recently put lower KV motors on it,i might give it a go lol i have a [ Fortis airframes ] tricopter and i fly that FPV with a multistar 4s 4000 lipo,my last FPV flight was 6 mins with it and lipo was still holding 50 pc charge,,all good,,the photos are of my BIG Vtail quad,,,i named her,,,the beast,,cheers mate

Attached Files:

7. Nice work sir! I love it :D It actually reminds me a bit of my thrust-vectoring trycopter experiment :$

And yes.. a larger quad with low-kv motors can have Really good long flight-times :)

thunder likes this.
  8. thunder

thunder Top Gun

Yes i remember that,and i remember the maiden,,i have been working on a multi that does not tilt when flying forwards,the intention was to be able to fly further quicker whilst the model stay horizontal and no awkward FPV camera angle,the horizon always stays in the same place on screen.Its all experimental and good fun.

DutchRC likes this.
  9. A tiltrotor then?? :) I have only had racing tiltrotors so far, but that setup would be handy for camera-ships as well I think :)

thunder likes this.
  10. thunder

thunder Top Gun

No,the motors are literally bolted to the wood and dont move at all,i tried it on 2 different quads and it worked but that testing is now on back burner as i practice with FPV and my trex 550 helicopter. cheers

Wildthing likes this.
  11. It's been a while, but here is another update on this project :)
    This time I switched it over from Futaba (T14SG) to my new FrSky Horus X10S :)

Wildthing likes this.