RCExplorer tricopter frame v2 with integrated Naze32 FC :)

Discussion in 'Quadcopters' started by DutchRC, May 20, 2015.

1. Hi there people :)
    I received this RCExplorer tricopter frame-kit With integrated Naze32 flight controller today :)
    Looks great! Here is just a short show & tell of what came in the packages :)

Link to build instructions:

Link to Naze32 setup instructions:

2. Hi there people..
    Here is an update-video on my tricopter build project :) Bare in mind that I have no experiance with the Naze boards other then this build..

Grantman likes this.
  3. thunder

thunder Top Gun

Hiya, nice vid,nice tri copter and nice cat,,,,if you had use a KK2 fc then you could have adjusted the yaw issue at the field via the lcd,,,,all of my quads are on KK2,,,keep those vids coming. thanks for posting.

4. Thanks for the reply sir :)
    Yeah.. I have a few KK2's as well, and that IS a definate benefit indeed.. This FC being integrated in the frame itself is a nice touch though AND I wanted to try the Naze32 boards as well.. If only to inform others about it...

5. thunder

thunder Top Gun

very true,i have had 2 flyaways when using Naza and wont use them again but dont let that put you off.if you are interested in quads and tri then may i suggest that you type [ simplecopter ] into google. the guy from there builds wooden quads and tri and mini quads and Vtails and he demos all of them,light weight,easy to repair wooden quads,,,,and they all use KK2,,,,i have all of his frames. goodnight sir and thanks for your excellent vids

6. I am very awere of the simplecopter.. That is a great tip indeed :)
    This tricopter (mine) does Not use a Naza by the way.. It's a Naze32, but yeah.. For that reason I am NOT interested in Naza boards indeed :)

Thanks for the kind words again! And have a good night as well :)

7. Time for another update :) After some tips of subscribers + watching David's build video...
    Here is my 2nd try to get it to hover well :)

malukk likes this.
  8. Thought I would post this video even if it is not a tricopter...
    Its the v-tail quad that i just dialed it in with my new 3dr pixhawk setup and it it rock solid...
    In the end I use the "return to launch" function - it comes back home and lands itself...
    Heres the video, hope you like it:

FED50H likes this.
  9. I DO like it :D And I like V-tail quad quite a bit as well :D Good job man!
    Yeah.. I really should give the Pixhawk a try some day as well huh?
    Cheers :)

10. The best part about the v-tail is its hard to loose orientation even when you are way way up high... and thats why I love it... :D
    I have tried kk2 board before and I have seen people use NAZA FC for quads (unfortunately its limited to only few types of frames) and they are all good... But Pixhawk or APM - this is a whole different league... With their software, there are soo many parameters and settings that you can play around with... At beginning, i was like there are so many settings and I don't know what to do but once you know the important once, man its so good!
    I think this is the best flight controller out there... It is soo versatile - you can even play with sonars and optical sensors on it...
    Plus its not limited to multi-rotors only; it has planes, rovers, boats and even antenna tracking...
    Once you use pixhawk, there is no going back... Especially highly recommended for beginners, once dialed in...
    You should give it a try...

11. Indeed :) I have 3 APM boards, and I've used them in planes as well.. In a future project I want to use one in a helicopter.. Lots of things you wouldn't be doing with other FC's :)

12. I would love to use this on a plane... never done this before... I am trying to get into FPV slowly and was thinking of building a flitetest cargo (may be?) and use pixhawk or amp on it.... How do you like it on planes? What specifically do you use them on planes for?

13. Ohw.. It was just a for-fun project because I wanted to see how good/bad it would work :)
    At teh end I could have the plane take off & land completely autonomous :)
    And yeah.. A spacious frame would be nice indeed.. I used it in a balsa 3D plane.. Yep.. not ideal, but that plane had a lot of room in it :)

14. I did me a bit of flying with the tricopter tonight WITH a Denver 8030W 1080P 60FPS camera on it.. Just to see if I needed to do some more tweaking :)

malukk likes this.
  15. I did me some more aerial-footige shooting practice with the Tricopter.. Some more tweaking to do, but it works pretty well :)

Grantman likes this.
  16. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

Using the kk2 board on a transport plane as to syncing the engines as well as using it for rudder differential. Worked so well, I used 64 EDF's on another transport. My next step will be to set up a 4 engine plane and see what happens using the kk2 board.

malukk likes this.
  17. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

Here is a tip for those who lose orientation with tri/quads.
    I installed a thin carbon rod and an Easter egg(plastic) in the front. Very lightweight and always let's you know what direction you are at high altitudes.

Being different, not using it for video, using it to flip, roll and loop. When I bought it back about 2 years(Hobby Lobby), there was no PID settings and it flew like a dishrag. Then kk2 came out, now when I get it tuned, it is like "on steroids" when I now do the PID thing. I have 10 x 4/7 props and use a 1300 to keep it light and fast. I am going to try out the APC MRP props to see if they are better than the SF's.

flippen drone 001.JPG

18. Tried kk2 only on quads and tri's but not on plane...
    Will look into it and give it a try...
    Thanks!

19. thunder

thunder Top Gun

I get muddled when my v tail is a distance away and i forget which way it is going,i flick auto level on and put the copter into a bank so i can see it from [ the top ] i then switch auto level off and carry on flying,,it has to be said that auto level at the flick of a switch has saved me cash and being able to change setting at the field is great,,,i use kk2 evo,big screen quick adjust,,thanks for your posts guys,,DutchRC you are getting pretty darned good at flying that machine,,well done !

20. thunder

thunder Top Gun

somebody put a kk2 on a helicopter but refused to show the end result lol