RC Foam going out of business... :(

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by e3_Scott, Sep 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

I was said to see this email sent to me today informing me RC Foam is going out of business at the end of the year. I know for many of us in North America, we have relied on them for years for foam, carbon fibre and other goodies. http://www.rcfoam.com/ I pasted the body of the email I received below. I'm sure some of you may have already received a similar e-mail, but thought I would post anyway in case you have never dealt with them and were looking to get a deal on what foam, carbon, etc they might have left while liquidating their stock.

RCFoam is going out of business

Hello,

After many years serving the RC hobby market, RCFoam will be closing at the end of the year.

Selit, manufacturer of Depron brand foam informed us last year that they would no longer supply us with foam, after their preceding shipment had a manufacturing defect. After selling what we had left as "scratch and dent", we no longer have the volume needed to stay in business.

We're liquidating what we have left at 25% off, and thought you might like to know! With the industry's new focus on drones, this may be your best opportunity to stock up on 6mm white foam (we have Depron Aero and FliPower XPS, a great alternative), carbon parts, and servos, motors, and other odds and ends.

Thanks for your business; it's been a good time! But this doesn't have to be goodbye. Why don't you check out the multiplayer online game Averish? You can build RC airplanes that really fly - and everything else - out of building blocks. It's available by invitation only, and as an RCFoam customer you're invited. Just log in to your account at rcfoam.com and click Your Account, and your invitation will be at the bottom. Or you can also Click here to play.

I have been buying my foam and carbon from RC Foam ever since I got into the hobby, they have been excellent to deal with, great customer service and often would throw in free bits of different types of foam for me to try. They also offered excellent service and shipping to Canada which I have always appreciated.

Kind of sad to see, if you deal with them as mentioned, might be time to stock up while they have supply and are offering 25% off.

Cheers,

Scott

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    Wildthing likes this.
  2. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

their shipping was always ridiculous. So i only bought from them once. But if they are going away it is sad another one of our suppliers is disappearing.

Wildthing likes this.
  3. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

That is indeed sad, but I am sure you will be able to buy Adams model plane foam from an alternative source.

Wildthing likes this.
  4. madjet

madjet Rookie

Just bought foam from them like a week ago ...

Wildthing likes this.
  5. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

That's too bad- never like to hear about anyone going out of business. I always buy from Model Plane Foam, great guys, and they have excellent Grade B foam that looks good for less money.
    www.modelplanefoam.com

6. I received the same email today also, that sucks

7. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

My last two orders of grade B seemed like the material changed.

8. Grantman

Grantman Top Gun

Better or worse?

jimbosflyin likes this.
  9. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

Worse,to me I'm usually able to give it a lite sanding to smooth it out for painting but now it sands and feels like that stuff you stick fake flowers in.

e3_Scott likes this.
  10. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Jim, is the latest bunch of Grade B brittle also? I have never actually used Grade B MPF, I have used a lot of the Fli Power Value XPS from RC Foam, I was under the impression it was almost identical to Grade B MPF with one smooth side and one bumpy/wavy side. http://www.rcfoam.com/depron-and-epp-foam-suppliers/closed-cell-xps-model-foam/ It is more expensive, but shipping wise it was actually overall about $8 cheaper for me to get the XPS versus the MPF, just geography maybe as the box is the same size and weight I would assume for 20 sheets 24x48"

Cheers,

Scott

Wildthing and jimbosflyin like this.
  11. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

I wouldn't say more brittle,it's still pretty floppy and on my last order I got a half case of G-A and it's actually stronger than the B,so B for the main structure and A for skins and all.The shipping is large,more than the cost of the foam.

Wildthing likes this.
  12. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Ok, thanks Jim, I still have just over half a box of the XPS and about 4.5 sheets of hobby grade Depron. If I keep using that sparingly and building with DTF primarily, I should be good for a couple more years :) I know the guys at MPF were doing their best to get the best rate for international shipping, but the cost was unbelievable from Ohio to the west coast of Canada. RC Foam being in Colorado, even though the XPS is more expensive per box, the shipping rate made the overall purchase about $8 cheaper for me and like I said in my original post, they have always been very good to me, never had any damaged foam and got lots of free sheets of foam and pieces of carbon to try. Too bad they are going out of business, family operation, but the way of the world I guess :(

Cheers,

Scott

Wildthing likes this.
  13. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

MPF always gives me an extra sheet which usually takes care of repaires :rolleyes:.

Flybyknight22 and Wildthing like this.
  14. I ordered a case of the XPS, still yet to try it though. It feels flimsy like the Aero and grey Depron and yes it has a rough side to it. I still to date have never tried the MPF foam , A or B grade.

jimbosflyin likes this.
  15. Argonath

Argonath Top Gun

I wonder if that means you'll be able to order directly from the manufacturer now instead. I tried years ago to either get it directly or become a distributor for it but they always referred me directly to RCFoam.

Wildthing and jimbosflyin like this.
  16. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

Who's the manufacturer ?

17. I believe the company stopped producing it because their shop is running full tilt making commercial products and doesn't want to be bothered with the hobby world.

e3_Scott likes this.
  18. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

You are correct Jeff, at least from this quote from RC foam which I think was released about two years ago now

For over a decade, RCFoam has been proud to supply the US market with Depron foam, a brand of closed cell XPS imported from Europe.

Regretfully, Selit, the manufacturer of Depron brand foam, has communicated their intentions to quit supplying the hobby industry with consistent, high quality foam. The reason stated is that their production facilities are at 100% capacity manufacturing flooring foam, a market where quality and consistency are not important.

This information was provided to RCFoam as part of dealing with a recent shipment of Depron that contained a slight curve throughout the entire shipment. Consequently, all 6mm White Depron currently available has a slight curve in it, and the 1mm White Depron also has a less uniform finish compared to the traditional product.

Historically RCFoam has not sold Depron unless it meets specific quality targets. However, since there is no traditional quality 6mm Depron available, we are offering the slightly curved foam for sale. We have added "Slight Curve" to the product titles to make sure there is no confusion. It is possible to flatten the curved Depron using flattening techniques located HERE and other techniques available through internet searching. Once the slightly curved Depron is gone, it is unlikely that it will be available again.

For many people, including us at RCFoam, this information is catastrophic. Many small business owners have built their business or production around high quality Depron and some of them will have no choice but to close up shop. If there were anything we could have done to prevent this situation, we surely would have.

As a replacement for Depron, we are pleased to offer Value XPS, another brand of closed cell XPS that is manufactured in the United States. Many customers have already changed to Value XPS due to the lower cost per square foot. Check it out here: Value XPS

The Value XPS/MPF does take some care when building as I have found it requires more reinforcement than Depron, so if I'm not careful, the plane can get a bit heavy. Good luck with your building with the XPS foam.

Cheers,

Scott

jimbosflyin and Wildthing like this.
  19. With my last order I brought in a case of the XPS foam, still haven't tried it though but for strength or firmness it feels about the same as the Depron Aero and Grey foam . The finish of course is a lot rougher, probably similar to the MPF foam.

jimbosflyin likes this.
  20. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

What about these guy`s?
    I think their model plane foam is made by Adams who make dollar tree foam board.
    Don`t quote me though as I have not had dealings with this supplier and my memory is getting a bit iffy.
    http://www.modelplanefoam.com/

jimbosflyin likes this.