Phoenix Pro R/C flight simulator V 5.5

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by FlyteTime, Dec 19, 2017.

1. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

I recently received my Christmas present to myself, the Phoenix Flight Sim. I just wanted to say how great it is and that I am loving it. With the cold weather we don't get to fly as much (not Wildthing though, he'll fly in any weather, lol) and you can keep your skills sharp and have a blast doing it. It has online capability to fly with buddies, combat flying Jeff? It has a LOT of aircraft, quads, helis, sailplanes and most of the FRCFoamies planes (you have to download them from their website). Thank you guys for putting those on there for free, y'all are the best. Fly it before you buy it! I love the Alpha Jet MKII so much I'm gonna build one. I'm building their A-10 MKII right now and it's supposed to be on there but I didn't see it. Jay? Greg? I would LOVE to see the RCPowers parkjets on there as well, Dave/Shannon? I've been staying up very late because I can't seem to put my transmitter down once I get started.

2. :D :D , I do have it but my tx isn't compatible with Phoenix system. I do have the Real Flight sim though.

3. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

I've heard Real Flight is very good also. I'd love to fly it with the optional Virtual Reality setup but the headset it requires is $350.

Heavygravity and Wildthing like this.
  4. That would be cool.

Heavygravity and FlyteTime like this.
  5. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Phoenix 5.5 works with Spektrum's DXe tx. I just saw one on Ebay for only $29. It's a shame to have it and not be able to use it. :)

Heavygravity and Wildthing like this.
  6. I know, but it's not like I don't have a simulator. :D :D

Maybe. ;)

FlyteTime likes this.
  7. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

I get that, but we could have combat warfare online, or bomb drop competitions, how cool would that be? :D You'd have so much fun watching me crash and burn. :)

8. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Flyte,
    I have Phoenix, Real Flight 7.5, ClearView and a few other sims.

I prefer Phoenix over all.

Glad you are having fun with Phoenix, it’s one of the better sims out there.

Merry Christmass!

Heavygravity, Wildthing and FlyteTime like this.
  9. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

RealFlight, Phoenix, ClearView, FMS and “AbsoluteRcFlightSim.

Since my last review of these sims there has been a major update to RealFlight. With the exception of its cost, which is still higher than the rest,.. in my opinion, except for FPV goggle use and a few other things, not all that much about it has changed, I’m certain, some will disagree.

Some people want something for nothing and sometimes ask: “Is there a "good" simulator out there for free?”

The short answer to that question is “probably” no,.. you're going to have to pay at least something for it if you need decent, basic realism. Unless that is, you are willing to steal the software by using some of the cheap dongles for sale out there but that, in my view is completely unethical and should not be done. I call it theft.

The definition of "good" is different from folk to folk and is kind of like asking Bill Clinton what his definition of "is", "is". :p

If your definition of a good simulator is something that can give you enough realism to teach the muscle memory necessary to give you a chance at decent early flying and keep you interested enough with a good number of different planes to keep you coming back on those rainy nasty days when you can't go to the field for real flying, then again I think the truthful answer to that question is probably no.

If you are one of those guys that thinks almost anything will do then that answer is most likely yes.

RealFlight is expensive. It gets even more expensive when you buy all the add on packs to get extra planes and helicopters to fly.

RealFlight's forum is generally very unfriendly and even harsh towards newbies. This limits greatly the free flow of information and that's a shame as their forum is knowhere near what it could be or should be.

Creating your own planes to fly in the sim can be difficult in some cases and at one time required a $3000+dollar 3DS program to properly make them for conversion with their proprietary KnifeEdge program. I have heard this process may have changed somewhat with the new version but for me, at least for now isn’t all that relevant but it might not be for you.

There used to be a work around for RealFlight model creation using Blender but is basically not supported but they do have numerous swap files where you can download lots of planes for free, however not all are totally compatible with every software version so you have to pick and choose and then fine tune the aerodynamics for those that need cleaning up.

The other issue with Realfight is that it takes a much more robust computer to take full advantage of its software than most all other simulators.

RealFlight did offer multiplayer online flying and combat that can also be a lot of fun.

The Rule of thumb for Realfight is, if money is no object, you have very deep pockets and a more expensive more powerful computer that you can run it on, and you don't need help or need to talk to anybody in their forum, then its probably, arguably the best simulator.

Phoenix is almost as good as Realflight some say just as good and many say it is superior if you like to fly helicopters. It rivals Realflight for realism, runs on less of a computer, has no expensive add on costs like Realflight does for extra planes or helicopters and Phoenix is cheaper. There are lots of free planes and flying sites you can download. It is possible to construct your own planes to fly in the program but they are lacking in making it easy to create your own modules to fly unless you have the appropriate software and the expertise to go along with it.

As an example, some of our scratch build plan providers like FRC FOAMIES have some of their planes for download into the sim. I think that that is a brilliant move by them and only makes sense that you would provide a flyable sim model of their scratch build planes to fly. WELL DONE FRC!

I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that RCPowers also has a model or two that can be used in ClearView as well so they also get kudos along those lines. :)

I once offered to provide that “free service” to others but there was little interest. It’s probably a good thing anyway because I have little time now to do it and even less time to support it, anyway, here’s more on Phoenix. :)

Another plus for Phoenix is that in almost all cases you can more easily use your own Transmitter in the sim instead of the one that comes with RealFlight that you cannot take to the field. RealFlight has a work around but is a bit of a hassle.

ClearView is very good, has tons of free planes and helicopters you can download via the net.
    It is much much easier to create your own planes to fly in it than either RealFlight or Phoenix. You can also easily import all the models from FMS into ClearView using AC3D.

Another exciting thing to remember is any model you create for the PC in ClearView has the potential of also being flown on a smart phone in their iOS app. That is a fairly large market that could be easily tapped to give you tremendous exposure! Is anybody out there listening? :p

ClearView will run well on most all windows systems, even the under powered ones, unlike the other more expensive sims but does not have a very active forum.

You don’t even have to have a bonifide TX to use it. If you have an Xbox-360 controller you can download drivers, plug it into the USB port, then use it on the PC in ClearView. I have tried this and it works just fine as a basic controller.

Development for ClearView has basically stopped on the PC for now as the creator seems to be focused mostly on smart phones for the sim. ClearView is now an iOS downloadable app called “AbsoluteRCflightSim” on IPhone and can be downloaded for free.

It has a few free planes and one coax helicopter you can fly and it has an option to import models from its original ClearView PC app via the Internet as you can see here:

66D2FF38-195E-4AA8-824B-CEE59A5EA966.jpeg

To do that simply open up that option within the program once the app is on your smart phone.

For creating the basic muscle memory to help you fly, ClearView on the PC is very hard to beat for the money.

FMS is free and works ok if you can make it work at all. Some computers need work arounds to get it running properly depending on your operating system and if you are not computer savvy it can sometimes be a hassle to install. Once up and running though it does an ok job.

I own all of these simulators and a few more.

I learned to fly with ClearView.

I play with FMS mostly porting it's models into ClearView via a 3-D program called AC3D.

I like Phoenix much better for flying Helicopters than RealFlight or ClearView and it is a very nice all around great simulator and I can use my own TX unlike RealFlight.

I also use RealFlight and like it as well but the clear winner, hands down for me, when it comes to most bang for your buck, is ClearView. In that respect NOTHING ELSE really even comes close because after all, while I’m in the ER waiting for the Doc to lance my hemorrhoids, I can still fly with it using my iphone, even if I am only flying it by,... “the seat of my pants” ! :p

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    lawrenceb, FlyteTime and Wildthing like this.
  10. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Very good review fly. I'm flying every day on Phoenix, and am gaining skills that I'm sure will translate into the real world. I am getting pretty good at inverted flight! Main thing I've learned is to do those maneuvers at altitude. And yes it's great to use your own tx. Happy New Year.

Wildthing likes this.
  11. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

I'm a Phoenix Devotee...hope when i get my new computer in a couple of weeks i can make it work on it lol

12. Anybody got an old tx that would work with it that they want to get rid of for CHEAP. ;)

FlyteTime likes this.
  13. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

You should have no problem running it JettaMan.

Wildthing likes this.
  14. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Jeff I have a Spektrum DXi that I don't need anymore. I just got a new DX6 (wonderful tx by the way) and you can have the DXi free gratis. ;) P. M. me your address and I'll send it to you. If you want you could get me back for the shipping cost. The flight mode toggle broke off, but you won't need it for the sim. It will be set up for Phoenix.

Edited: I meant to say DXe. :confused:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    Wildthing and Flybyknight22 like this.
  15. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Yup, Phoenix is hard to beat.

FlyteTime and Wildthing like this.
  16. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Will your field radio not work on it Jeff?

I have 5 different radio manufacturer models and they all work on Phoenix, just some are a little better than others.

Are you just trying to cut down on the wear and tear of your main radio?

Wildthing likes this.
  17. No my FlySky TH9X won't work period,

Flybyknight22 likes this.
  18. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

19. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Jeff,

I know how frustrating that must be.

That TX should work in Phoenix Jeff.

There are guys using that TX in the sim.

What kind of issues are you seeing buddy?

FlyteTime likes this.
  20. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun