PARKJET MOTOR BENCH TESTING

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by e3_Scott, Jul 6, 2013.

1. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

A long awaited package of Gemfan racing props arrived from Banggood today :)
    2017-11-22 15.22.48.jpg
    Here is the link to them, they are sold in several sizes from 4030 up to 6060. As you can see in the picture, I purchased 5x5, 5.5x4.3, 5.5x5.5 and 6x6. As you can also see from the picture, in the 5 and 5.5" lengths, you get a little extra prop for your money :) https://www.banggood.com/Gemfan-403...-p-978885.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=CN

After doing a bit of research as I waited for these props, I discovered that they look like a knockoff of a Graupner CAM (Computer aided manufacturing) props. Here is the picture of the Graupner 6x6 CAM prop from Tower Hobbies website https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXERFH
    gpnq1349.jpg
    They come two to a pack and there are 6 spacer rings with each prop, one of which fits snugly over the standard prop collet used on most 3.17 mm shafted motors. It also fits on most of the quad racing motors I purchased as well.

I have already balanced one of the 6x6 props to test on a 2212 2200 Kv motor, it did take quite a bit of balancing to get it just right. Here it is on the motor.
    2017-11-22 15.20.01.jpg
    You can see it is very square and beefy close to the hub, the rest of the blade is quite thin and has about the same flex as the knockoff 6x4 electric APC style props I use from HK. They do have a frontal blade shape a bit more like an EMP style sport prop, so I am interested to see how they perform. All the reviews from the Banggood site are very good, so I will be giving them a try and bench testing them on a few motors as they are billed as "racing props" :) More data to follow in the future :)

EDIT: I actually have 5543, not 5545 props, so 5 and 5/8" long with 4.3 pitch in actuality :)

Cheers,

Scott

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  2. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Well, my first recommendation, if you are thinking of spinning the 6060 Gemfan electric racing prop on a 2212/6 2200 Kv motor on 3S, save your money! :)

This is by far the worst performing prop I have ever tested on this very popular motor. I updated it on the spreadsheet, primarily so that I could see how badly it compared to other props.

I actually did the first test and was so shocked by the numbers, I tested a second motor just to make sure the first motor wasn't a dud. The numbers ended up pretty much identical, so it is the prop, not the motor.

Here is the sad story...tested with a Turnigy Plush 60A ESC, Zippy Flightmax 2200 3S 40C battery

50% throttle - 12.8A/154W producing 334 gr/11.8 oz of thrust;

100% throttle - 29.9A/347.5W producing 580 gr/20.5 oz of thrust.

To compare numbers to the recently tested 6x4 APC gas prop, at 50% throttle, that prop pulled 11.8A but produced 17.6 oz of thrust, at full throttle, it pulled 23.8A, but produced 29.9 oz of thrust. So if Gemfan was trying for a racing prop, I'm not sure what you would race with it on this motor...more volts (ie 4S) would push the motor very quickly beyond it's max amp rating quickly I suspect and I'm not sure if the thrust rating would be worth the bother. It was quiet, that is about the only positive thing I can say about it's performance :)

I also suspect putting it on a higher Kv motor is only going to result in an unacceptable increase in amps.

I will still eventually test all the other size props I bought, but after this disappointment, I won't be in a rush to do so. I had hoped that even though this prop has a high pitch number, this is the lowest Kv motor I run, so I thought I would see some good thrust.

You win some, you lose some...:)

Cheers,

Scott

PS - I updated the spreadsheet again, since I have so much test data on the Turnigy D2826/6 2200 Kv motor, I put it on it's own page on the spreadsheet to hopefully make it easier to look at and compare props I have tested thus far. :)

Attached Files:

3. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

After yesterday's test being a bit of a "stinker", I had a better test today. :) I was poking through one of my very well organized...NOT!!! ;) supply bins last evening after testing the Gemfan 6060 prop and stumbled upon a 6x5 sport prop from RC Timer (http://rctimer.com/product-216.html). Maybe it is EMP or a knockoff, I'm not sure anymore :( Anyway, since I still had everything set up for the previous test, I balanced the prop and gave it a go :)

Here are the numbers on the Turnigy D2826/6 2200 Kv motor, Turnigy 60A ESC timing at low and Zippy Flightmax 2200 3S 40C battery.

50% throttle - 11.9A/143.9W producing 504 gr/17.8 oz of thrust;

100% throttle - 23.6A/284.7W producing 836 gr/29.5 oz of thrust

So the numbers are essentially identical to the 6x4 APC gas prop I bench and field tested recently. This 6x5 prop is a bit louder, I was pleasantly surprised how low the amp draw is at full throttle for a prop with a 5 pitch.

I got to thinking how I had this prop and after looking at my order history with RC Timer, I remembered that I had found a couple of these got put in with an order of 6x3 props I purchased quite awhile ago by mistake. Anyway, like finding money in the pocket of a coat you haven't worn in awhile :)

An updated spreadsheet is attached with this data and I also updated the last page of the spreadsheet which has links to all the props I have tested except for the Gemfan 6x4x3BN prop as Banggood doesn't seem to carry them anymore.

I may have mentioned in a previous post that I have always thought the props I have been purchasing from RC Timer are EMP (Electric Model Power) brand props, now I'm not sure or they are and perhaps don't stack up to the TGS (Hobby King) or KMP (Banggood) props which supposedly are knockoffs of the EMP props. I also remember someone once telling me they were all manufactured by the same company, just marketed under different names. Confusing stuff... :(

After seeing the performance Jeff (Wildthing) has been getting with his very powerful setups with the 6x3 TGS and the results rcplanepirate gets with his KMP props of all different sizes, I decided I have to find out what is going on and if there is any actual difference between all these props which look identical.

I have orders in now for 6x3 TGS props from Hobby King (https://hobbyking.com/en_us/tgs-precision-folding-propeller-6x3-black-1pc.html) and 6x3 KMP props from Banggood (https://www.banggood.com/1Pcs-KMP-6...088498.html?rmmds=mywishlist&cur_warehouse=CN) Once those are all here (perhaps not til the New Year now that Christmas mailing has started already), I will test them all on the same motor, same ESC and battery and see if there is any actual difference in performance of if in fact it is just a difference in labelling.

Cheers,

Scott

Attached Files:

4. All great info Scott, you save us a ton of time and props. :)
    I have never tried the KMP 6x3 prop from Banggood so curious to see how it stacks up to the TGS 6x3 prop.

5. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

I tested another prop I stumbled upon while going through my prop inventory today :) I think I might have actually tested this prop before, but now I remember I didn't report it because the performance was pretty disappointing :( Anyway, from now on even if the prop turns out to be a dud, I will add it to the spreadsheet so folks know which ones to avoid :)

The prop I tested today was a 6x5.5 APC style prop from Banggood https://www.banggood.com/APC-Style-...045309.html?rmmds=mywishlist&cur_warehouse=CN

I measured it in comparison to the 6x4 APC knockoffs I have used for a long time from Hobby King now that I have realized there is sometimes some pretty significant variances in prop lengths among brands and styles.
    2017-11-26 10.05.46.jpg

Here are the numbers, tested with a Turnigy Plush 60A ESC set at low timing, Zippy Flightmax 2200 3S 40C battery.

50% throttle - 11.4A/137.6W producing 372 gr/13.1 oz of thrust;

100% throttle - 25.6A/297.1W producing 636 gr/22.4 oz of thrust

So a very dismal performance for a prop with such high pitch, even the 6x4 APC Hobby King knockoffs produce about 5+ oz more thrust for a couple less amps of current draw.

As I ran it up to 100%, I could tell by the noise that there was probably a lot of energy being wasted. It wasn't super loud, but it sounded more like a high speed fan than a propeller. The prop is about the same stiffness as the HK 6x4 APC style, but it is certainly not putting out the thrust one would expect for such increased pitch.

Updated spreadsheet attached :)

Cheers,

Scott

Attached Files:

6. So I received a couple more 1400kv motors to try out , Propdrive V2 2836 1400kv ( box says 2835, motor says 2836 ? ) and it comes with the long shaft and all the hardware to mount either way. Also the Turnigy D2826/10 1400kv motor and I tested my NTM 2826S 1200kv which I had instock plus the Emax XA2212 1400kv motor. The Turnigy I think it's numbers would be slightly better then shown be cause it did have a vibration due to a poorly made collet. The shoulder or step of where the prop ring is suppose to fit on doesn't extend far enough forward so no prop ring fits it tight or proper.
    These were all tested with a 2200mah 65C battery, 40A esc and the 2 props are 10X5 E APC prop and their 10X5 Sport (gas) APC prop.

Emax XA2212 1400KV Motor
    APC 10X5E electric prop
    50% Throttle > 11A , 134W , 13.5 oz T
    100% Throttle > 28A , 310W , 31 oz T

APC 10X5 Sport Prop
    50% Throttle 12A , 129W , 18 oz T
    100% Throttle , 30A , 322W 40 oz T

NTM 2826S 1200KV Motor

APC 10X5E electric prop
    50% Throttle > 14A , 164W , 23 oz T
    100% Throttle > 19A , 220W , 27 oz T

APC 10X5 Sport Prop
    50% Throttle 16A , 186W , 27.5 oz T
    100% Throttle , 26A , 228W 31.5 oz T

The New (NTM) Propdrive V2 2836 1400kv

APC 10X5E electric prop
    50% Throttle > 27A , 220W , 27.8 oz T
    100% Throttle > 32A , 346W , 40.5 oz T

APC 10X5 Sport Prop
    50% Throttle 29A , 320W , 40 oz T
    100% Throttle , 36A , 399W , 46 oz T

Turnigy D2826/10 1400KV

APC 10X5E electric prop
    50% Throttle > 20A , 220W , 27.6 oz T
    100% Throttle > 29A , 313W , 34 oz T

APC 10X5 Sport Prop
    50% Throttle 22A , 228W , 32 oz T
    100% Throttle , 30A , 338W , 37.5oz T

7. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Interesting numbers, Jeff, I assume the battery was a 3S? Good improvement in thrust with the sport/gas prop :)

Cheers,

Scott

8. Hi Scott,
    Yes all 3S

The little Emax I would say is the most efficient power to amp ratio using the Sport prop, the Propdrive definitely has the most grunt at 50% throttle and best thrust with both props all around but it is the largest motor. The Turnigy isn't far behind though, I should retest it, I finally found a nice fitting collet and it's actually the extra one that came with the Propdrive motor. The Propdrive like I said has the extended shaft so you can mount a prop on either side of it and all the accessories come with it.

The Sport prop definitely has better numbers no matter which motor you use with a slight increase in amp draw.

9. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi everyone -

A good day of testing at the field today :)

I tested the RC Timer 6x5 electric sport prop on the Turnigy D2826/6 2200 Kv motor on 3S. Reasonable performance, here is some flight video in my 85% RC Powers Su-30 V4.

As I mention in the video, it performs better than the 6x4 APC electric knock offs I have used from Hobby King for years. I don't think it performs as well as the 6x4 APC gas I have been using for the last couple weeks. The 6x4 APC gas just seems to help the plane hold it's speed and energy better without having to mess with the throttle too much. Overall, I still prefer the Master Airscrew 6x4x3 prop with this motor, I think it is ideally suited to this lower Kv motor compared to a lot of the others I run now which are 2600 + Kv.

Surprisingly efficient for a prop with a 5 pitch, but not one I would run that often if I had a 6x4 APC gas or MA 6x4x3 prop available. My personal preference for how I like my planes to perform anyway :)

The second test was the 6x4 APC gas prop on the DYS BE2208/7 2600 Kv motor. I have run this motor a lot using the MA 6x4x3 prop, as that was my favorite for speed and efficiency, but I think that has been replaced by the 6x4 APC gas prop as my new favorite for this motor :)

I am seeing a trend with this 6x4 APC gas prop, it seems to really earn it's money for me on the motors I run at or above 2600 Kv. I watched the video a few times and I know it was getting pretty boring with all those passes from left to right, but what really impressed me was the acceleration as I hammered the throttle, it really took off quickly and maintained it's speed and energy well as I pulled into the vertical.

The 6x4 APC gas prop doesn't pull as many amps at full throttle and on the bench doesn't produce quite as much thrust as the MA 6x4x3, but in the air it showed me noticeable improvement which is where it counts :)

I will definitely be running this gas prop on this motor from now on, just need to order a few more of the props :)

Cheers,

Scott

10. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

I managed to do a little more bench testing with the 6x4 APC gas prop on a couple more motors, the 2212/6 2700 Kv and the Grayson Hobby SMJV2 http://graysonhobby.com/gh-super-mega-jet-v2-brushless-outrunner-motor.html. The results were nothing too exciting, but I may still field test the SMJV2 at some point which I will explain later.
    2017-11-29 13.40.05.jpg

The 2212/6 2700 Kv motor is often referred to as the Focal Price 2700 Kv motor as they were one of the first vendors to carry it. I started a thread awhile back strictly about this motor https://www.rcpowers.com/community/threads/focal-price-2700-kv-parkjet-motor.15992/ I have also bench and field tested similar motors from EBay, Deal Extreme and Fasttech. For the longest time, it was my favorite lighter weight speed combo paired with a 6x3 electric sport prop from RC Timer.

However, it is very hard to find these days, it seems to have been replaced by the A2212/5T 2700 Kv motor which from my bench and field testing experience is a very different motor. The only vendor out of all those listed on the attached spreadsheet who seems to carry the 2212/6 2700 kv motor is Deal Extreme http://www.dx.com/p/a2212-2700kv-brushless-motor-set-for-r-c-toy-golden-silver-361849#.VJWrwsCA and as you can see they are currently out of stock. As you can also read on the spreadsheet, three folks in the last year have told me they ordered this motor from DX and had very disappointing experiences, so buyer beware. However, when you look at the numbers below and compare them to the numbers I got with the A2212/5T 2700 Kv motor, this is not a bad thing as I think with the 6x4 APC gas prop, the A2212/5T 2700 Kv motor is very similar speed wise to the 2212/6 2700 Kv motor/6x3E prop combo and more efficient.

I have never bench tested the 6x4 APC electric (Hobby King knock off) on this 2212/6 2700 Kv motor, I believe I tried it at the field once and found the performance to be lacking, so never bothered to bench test it. However, I did bench test it today to see if there was a significant difference between it and the 6x4 APC gas prop.

Here are the numbers for the 2212/6 2700 Kv motor tested with a Turnigy Plush 60A ESC and Zippy Flightmax 2200 3S 40C battery. These numbers can also be found on the spreadsheet on the page 2212 size 2700 where you can compare numbers to the A2212/5T 2700 Kv motor.

6x4 APC (electric Hobby King knock off)

50% throttle - 13.0A/156.1W producing 500 gr/17.6 oz of thrust;

100% throttle - 34.3A/383W producing 894 gr/31.5 oz of thrust.

6x4 APC gas (APC brand name)

50% throttle - 14.2A/170.1W producing 515 gr/18.2 oz of thrust;

100% throttle - 34.8A/390.2W producing 975 gr/34.4 oz of thrust.

So not bad results overall, the A2212/5T 2700 Kv produces more thrust while drawing less amps, I will still probably field test eventually, but it won't be a top priority since the numbers are so similar.

The Grayson SMJV2 has been around quite awhile and was the "power motor" before the NTM 2700 became so popular. It has two knocks against it right away, it is expensive at $24.99 USD (this is actually a reduced price at the time of writing) and it is heavy at 91 gr/3.2 oz. Externally it measures 2834 and it is rated for 2550 Kv. I have run a variety of props on this reliable motor over the years, it is heavy, but built like a tank :) I currently will run it occasionally with the MA 6x4x3 prop as that combo seems to perform very well. I keep testing it and running it occasionally when I feel nostalgic and I'm sure there are some folks who might still have one or two laying around :)

Here are the numbers for the SMJV2 with the 6x4 APC gas prop.

50% throttle - 13.6A/164.1W producing 472 gr/16.6 oz of thrust;

100% throttle - 25.6A/296.0W producing 864 gr/30.5 oz of thrust.

So the gas prop outperforms the HK knockoff 6x4 APC electric on the SMJV2, does not produce as much thrust as the MA 6x4x3, but draw less amps. I may do a field test on this prop to compare it's performance against the MA 6x4x3 as with one less blade, perhaps the top speed will be better than the bench numbers indicate. I also anticipate the acceleration will be better.

I did order some more 6x4 APC gas props as I have been really liking them at the field on all the 2600+ Kv motors I have tested them on. Still anxiously awaiting delivery of five different quad racing motors to test, hopefully some will be here before Christmas :)

Cheers,

Scott

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  11. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Just wanted to let everyone know my presence and participation in this forum will be significantly reduced in future. I will be focusing on increasing the educational content of my YouTube channel and a park jet blog I will be starting separate from NAMC and this forum.

I will still occasionally post with an updated spreadsheet when significant updates occur, however most of the detailed analysis will be covered through my new blog when it is up and running and my YouTube channel. I have set up an e-mail account that will be tied to my blog [email protected], so if you would like an updated version of the spreadsheet in Excel or have questions, please shoot me an e-mail there :)

Wishing you and yours a safe and happy holiday season, a peaceful and prosperous New Year in 2018 and all the best in your RC journeys. :)

Cheers,

Scott

12. Going to miss you on here but will come visit you on your new site. Make sure to post links. :)

Flybyknight22 and bogusbandit56 like this.
  13. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Thanks Jeff :)

I just realized there is an easier way for folks to have the most up to date motor test spreadsheet, I created this link to a Google Sheet in Google Drive https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WLsfj53XSPnvMHKOfK_hQDoe_7qQj2yn1DBPoadd7Hk/edit?usp=sharing

It will always contain the most up to date information and on the first page I will always change the date when I add new information so you know if there have been changes since the last time you might have looked. Once my blog is up and running, I will also post a link there if folks want more detailed analysis of motor testing and other topics.

All the best:)

Cheers,

Scott

Flybyknight22 and Wildthing like this.
  14. Heavygravity

Heavygravity Airman

Will make sure to visit when your new shop is set up and running.

Nice to see the increase in the educational content.

Already subscribed on your YouTube channel.

Wishing you all the best on your expanded venture!

Jim

15. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Here is some different prop testing than most of us are probably used to seeing.

I thought it gave some interesting perspectives on blade performance from the 2 , 3 and 4-blade racing Props in both speed, maneuverability and overall control through a particular course.

I own about 5 different Ariel photography quads but for the last several months have been flying several racing quads in the 200 to 300 Class size using FPV Goggles.

Flying these racing quads is a lot more like playing a video game than standard fix wing aircraft and in some ways more fun and much more challenging.

In other words I break lots of props racing these bugers. That also translates into more “Drilling”. :p

Different Props on racing quads are a lot more akin to different NASCAR tires than in fixed wing aircraft because drastic maneuvering in many cases is required without any benifit of wing lift or glide factors.

What that really means is that when racing quads (and in ariel photography quad flying for that matter), you are literally hanging on those props all the time.

Because of this, choosing the right Props for racing quads is even more critical in some respects than for fixed wing aircraft.

Top end speed is important but control and maneuverability are equally so as one type that was shown to give best top end speed, gave poor grip in the turns which provided much less maneuverability and was therefore NOT the optimum propeller.

Grippy Props like the tri-Blade bull nose style provide slower top end speeds but give better performance/grip in tight turns with the cyclone style appearing to give best all around performance in flight.

This video shows the video game aspect and in flight feel of the different Props from a seasoned quad racers point of view using FPV goggles.

They tested 2-Blade, 3-blade and 4-blade Props without the pilot knowing which ones he was using. The pilot was previously racing with the bull nose props but after in flight tests he now prefers the tri-Blade cyclones from Dal.com.

His comment about the 2-Blade prop on the quad was interesting in that he said they had a very washed out feel and basically total crap for quad racing.

I notice this same feeling of washiness from some 2-Blade Props even in my fixed wing aircraft and because of that use 3-Blade props on virtually all my fixed wing birds now.

Guys have been breaking the stock 2-Blade props in flight from the torque produced with the Furious 320 racing quad that I also own in hard high speed turns and have been switching to these 6x4x3 Dal tri-blades.

Some have reported speed increases of 96mph with the tri-blades over the stock 2-Blade Props which have been giving 80mph on the Walkera Furious 320 so I purchased about 16-sets of these tri-blades to test in flight on an obstacle course.

B3E04B19-ED72-444B-88F7-E9FD736823BA.jpeg

I Doubt that they would make a good slot prop fixed wing blade but who knows as I won’t be testing them in any fixed wing aircraft in the near future but that might change as I recently put an Orange Dal 6x4x3 Trump-Blade on NAMC’s Mig 35-B Fulcrum. :)

In hover tests it gave little to no torque roll and tremendous low end thrust, with less than 1/5 throttle for full hover using a 3-S 1400mah battery.

The 6x4x3 Blade Dal Props are spec’ed for 250+ size racing quads. Dal has 3”, 4”, 5” and 6” varieties in 2,3 or 4 Blade configurations and you can get them here:

https://www.dalprops.com/

Bull nose 5045 vs 5045 cyclone and conventional style racing Prop Thrust tests showed that bull nose props pulled more amps with no increase in Thrust, I.E. the racing Prop is the more efficient of the two but the bull nose in real world flying provided better grip in the turns and better maneuverability.

So which is best?

The short answer seems to be,.. it depends on how you fly,.. in a straight line, drastic maneuvering or a combination of both.

Each right prop answer is different based on how you fly and not necessarily based on Thrust stand numbers or top end speed for quads or fixed wing aircraft.

Blind test of various quad blade props was done on a EMAX 2306 2400kv motor and can be seen here:

7B2A70AB-808D-42FA-8486-2E24A3E85361.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    Heavygravity and Wildthing like this.
  16. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year :) As stated previously in this thread, I have made a "change of course" in my park jet journey and will no longer be "the face" of NAMC on the website http://www.migsrus.com/ which is currently being moved to another service provider where the information will be archived and still available. As recently announced in this thread https://rcpowers.com/community/thre...ble-at-www-parkflyersinternational-com.22256/, the plans for NAMC planes will no longer be available at the NAMC website, but rather here at the PI website http://www.parkflyersinternational.com/namc-parkjets.html

I have already started a new blog where I have done a few reviews on new quad racing motors I am testing and will be continuing to add to that on a very regular basis https://scottsparkjetblog.blogspot.ca/

I will continue to keep testing motors and props and will keep the motor test spreadsheet up to date which you can find at this link https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WLsfj53XSPnvMHKOfK_hQDoe_7qQj2yn1DBPoadd7Hk/edit?usp=sharing The date of currency will always be kept up on the first page of the spreadsheet whenever new info is added.

I will no longer be actively supporting or participating in this thread or others I have started on this forum in order to continue with my blog and increasing the content of my YouTube channel. However if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to send me an e-mail at [email protected], comment on any of the blog posts or my YouTube videos and it would be my pleasure to try and help you or just have a chat about park jets :)

My sincerest thanks to everyone who has helped me and supported me in my 5+ yr park jet journey thus far, it is truly and humbly appreciated. :)

I wish you all the best in life and your RC journeys, wherever they may take you.:)

Per Ardua ad Astra

Cheers,

Scott

17. Good luck on your new venture Scott.

e3_Scott and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  18. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Just a quick "touch and go" so to speak. :)

Earlier in the New Year I upgraded my motor test setup and as such rather than updating the old spreadsheet, I have started a new one that you can find here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...jxxxU8qqmz_kXjMQH8NOLjW3NQ/edit#gid=809644997

The old one is linked in post #836 and will remain active, but will not be updated. The new spreadsheet covers some of the more popular inexpensive motors, but nothing bigger than 2212 size and no data other than on 3S batteries. There is also quite a bit of data on quad racing motors I have been testing for use in park jets along with different props and a couple of ESCs with which I have started experimenting to optimize the performance of the motors I have been using.

Anytime I update the new spreadsheet, the date will be updated in the title so that you can know how current the information is and I normally also write up an accompanying article on my blog to expand upon the data collected. https://scottsparkjetblog.blogspot.ca/

On the blog I also do write ups after field testing which normally include videos and further explanation of my performance evaluations whenever I test a new component or combination of components.

I have also tried to do a better job of organizing the new spreadsheet, so if you are looking for a particular motor, please navigate the labelled tabs along the bottom as I have broken out each motor to have it's own tab to hopefully make it easier to find information. It starts on the very first page with data on the 2212/6 2200 Kv motor which I think is still the most popular setup in park jets.

If you are interested in motors bigger than 2212 size, EDFs and test data using 4S or bigger batteries, I strongly encourage you to check out and subscribe to rcplanepirate's channel on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/user/rcplanepirate/videos RCPP tries very hard to put out a motor test video every week or some other educational video to do with motors, props, batteries, etc. He is far more knowledgeable than I could ever be and is always very helpful when I have asked for his advice.

As mentioned above in post #836, I no longer monitor this website, so if you have questions about anything I have done, I would ask you to please leave a comment on one of my blog posts, one of my You Tube videos or feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]. If you leave me a comment here or send me a PM here, you will probably not get your question answered in a timely fashion, at least not by me :)

All the best :)

Cheers,

Scott

19. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Still plugging away testing different quad racing motors, props and ESCs:) With some help from rcplanepirate I found this setup used in the video below to be one of the most powerful, efficient and inexpensive thus far. The Gemfan 6045 prop has really woken up the low Kv motors I have tested with it on the bench thus far, including the 2212/6 2200 Kv motor that a lot of folks run. You can read more details on the prop and the initial testing I did at this blog post. http://scottsparkjetblog.blogspot.ca/2018/03/gemfan-6045-carbon-nylon-props-initial.html It is the first time I saw a 2 blade prop produce over 1000 gr of thrust with the 2212 2200 Kv motor and still stay below the 34A limit that most of the motors are rated for:) I will have some field testing to confirm the results with the 2212 2200 Kv motor and this prop done shortly.

This combo below in the video has lots of torque, top end speed and efficiency and for less than $40 for the ESC, 4 props and the motor is definitely in the upper echelon of quad racing motor setups I have tested thus far and is about 20 gr lighter than the 2212 2200 Kv motor combo :)

Thanks again to rcplanepirate for the help and recommendations, please check out his channel here https://www.youtube.com/user/rcplanepirate/videos

Cheers,

Scott

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    Wildthing and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  20. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

I have been running the 2212/5T 2700 kv motors for a couple years now since they showed up essentially replacing the 2212/6 2700 kv motor (often referred to as the Focal Price 2700). I know the debate continues on what prop can be run on these very inexpensive motors and I suppose the answer is whatever prop you want, just depends how long you want your motor to last :).

I have been experimenting a lot with the Turnigy AE-45A ESC from Hobby King which is actually a few dollars cheaper than the newer Turnigy Plush that I have used for years and has a lot of flexibility for fine tuning. It has woken this motor up a little bit and with the 6x3 EMP/TGS/KMP prop provides lots of power but still runs pretty efficiently.

My experience over time is that running this motor (again, depends a lot on the quality control of the one you might get ;)) with the 6x4 APC prop, at around the 300 flight mark, the motor is ready to be retired. Here is some flight video comparing this motor with the 6x3 EMP/TGS/KMP prop and the 6x4 APC style electric props.

If you watch on YouTube, you can find links to more info in the video description.

Links to the props/motor/ESC I used in the video

Motor - https://www.gearbest.com/multi-rotor-parts/pp_180560.html

Props

6x3 electric sport prop (RC Timer) - http://rctimer.com/product-218.html

Same prop from Hobby King (TGS) - https://hobbyking.com/en_us/tgs-precision-folding-propeller-6x3-black-1pc.html

Prop from Banggood (KMP) - https://www.banggood.com/1Pcs-KMP-6X3E-63E-High-Efficiency-Propeller-p-1088498.html?rmmds=search

ESC - https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-ae-45a-brushless-esc.html

Cheers,

Scott